Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front calipers locked up after pistons melted

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 12:56 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Front calipers locked up after pistons melted

on Tuesday @ Lime Rock.

Calipers and rotors are/were OEM but pads are Carbotech 1521's. SS lines, Castrol SRF, Quantum ducts, Kuhmo Ecsta XS tires on CCW C-140s. Set up worked just fine @ same track in mid-April. Temp was about 15 - 20 degrees warmer this week though. Pads are not glazed over. Thought upgrades would prevent exactly what happened.

Had OEM pads without any of the above upgrades last year with no issues (5 track days). Not braking any harder. In fact, as experience grows, braking is becoming more smooth, less hard jabs.

Need recommendations balancing cost with effectiveness to prevent repeat.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 01:12 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

DRM stainless steel pistons is the easiest and cheapest. What lap times were you doing to melt the pistons? Stock pads won't make enough heat. If you melted the pistons your calipers can't be in good shape probably spread.

Last edited by John Shiels; 05-12-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:40 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I melted a rear piston last year and ended up tossing the caliper too.
Way too much heat and had a heck of a time getting the piston out.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:48 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

I melted a pair at CMP many years ago. I surprised your your brakes got that hot at Lime Rock though.

Better cooling Ti/SS shims, etc.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
on Tuesday @ Lime Rock.

Calipers and rotors are/were OEM but pads are Carbotech 1521's. SS lines, Castrol SRF, Quantum ducts, Kuhmo Ecsta XS tires on CCW C-140s. Set up worked just fine @ same track in mid-April. Temp was about 15 - 20 degrees warmer this week though. Pads are not glazed over. Thought upgrades would prevent exactly what happened.

Had OEM pads without any of the above upgrades last year with no issues (5 track days). Not braking any harder. In fact, as experience grows, braking is becoming more smooth, less hard jabs.

Need recommendations balancing cost with effectiveness to prevent repeat.

Thanks
I ran my Z for a season and a half at WGI on stock calipers using Cobalt CSR pads, Hawk HP+ pads without any piston issues. OEM pads probably reach there max coefficient of friction a couple hundred degrees less than the Carbotechs you used.

This year I updated to stainless pistons in all 4 calipers, added stainless lines, added Quantum ducts and didn't have any real issues using XP10s in the front and XP8s in the rear other than the pedal getting a little spongy during one session. A couple of laps at reduced speed gave me a hard pedal again.

If you update to stainless pistons make sure you get the Centric Seal Lubricant along with the seals. Don't bother installing the dust boots if you are going to run pads that run hotter than the 1521s.

How do you like those tires and what sizes are you using?

Bill
Old 05-12-2011, 02:20 PM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Geeze... I've melted a few dust boots but never the caliper piston. I do run Titanium pad shims up front and they keep everything good to go... don't melt dust boots anymore.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:25 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I ran my Z for a season and a half at WGI on stock calipers using Cobalt CSR pads, Hawk HP+ pads without any piston issues. OEM pads probably reach there max coefficient of friction a couple hundred degrees less than the Carbotechs you used.

This year I updated to stainless pistons in all 4 calipers, added stainless lines, added Quantum ducts and didn't have any real issues using XP10s in the front and XP8s in the rear other than the pedal getting a little spongy during one session. A couple of laps at reduced speed gave me a hard pedal again.

If you update to stainless pistons make sure you get the Centric Seal Lubricant along with the seals. Don't bother installing the dust boots if you are going to run pads that run hotter than the 1521s.

Bill
Why do you need the lube? I just use brake fluid on assembly.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:18 PM
uberC5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill
Where'd the rear SS pistons come from? I've got DRM fronts to install, but need a source for the rears. Thanks
Old 05-12-2011, 03:33 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by uberC5
Where'd the rear SS pistons come from? I've got DRM fronts to install, but need a source for the rears. Thanks
rears should not get that hot to need SS. Someone did make them and I bought them years ago but forgot where I got them. Then I went to LGM Wilwood SL-6
Old 05-12-2011, 06:12 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Bill
Tires were a major improvement but I was coming from run flats. 275/35/18s up front on 18x11 wheels. 345/30/19s out back on 19x12s. Kept 18/19 split after long search of options for street tires which I plan on running for a while. Added width in rear was very noticeable going on to No Name straight - really bit well. Didn't really notice an increase an understeer. Might need a few more days to get a better sense there.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:04 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Shiels
DRM stainless steel pistons is the easiest and cheapest.
- Yep, that's what I was thinking.

What lap times were you doing to melt the pistons?
- Don't know, not set up with data acquisition yet. I ran well within my run group but with < 10 days, I am no Mario Andretti. Definitely not fast enough to cause the problem. Something else I haven't figured out was the cause.

Stock pads won't make enough heat.
- Pads were Carbo 1521s which don't operate significantly higher than OEM. 900 degrees max I think. They are street pads. They shouldn't have caused the problem.

If you melted the pistons your calipers can't be in good shape probably spread.
- Mechanic says calipers are cooked so will probably add the SS pistons to the new set.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I melted a pair at CMP many years ago. I surprised your your brakes got that hot at Lime Rock though.

Better cooling Ti/SS shims, etc.

I am surprised as well. Mods were made to prevent brake issues and no way was the braking that I was doing should have come anywhere near melting the pistons. Ran completely stock last year @ LRP 3 or 4 times without issue. Doesn't add up.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Why do you need the lube? I just use brake fluid on assembly.
I didn't use the lube the first time around and the pistons were a PIA to get in. I thought I was going to break my 10 inch C Clamp it was taking so much force to get the pistons in. As it was a couple of seals tore and I did the whole thing over again. The lube made things much easier. I was able to push most of the pistons in with my arthritic thumbs.

Centric Part No. 500.10000 made a huge difference.

Bill
Old 05-13-2011, 03:51 AM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

active handling pulsing the brakes ? creates heat.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:06 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
I am surprised as well. Mods were made to prevent brake issues and no way was the braking that I was doing should have come anywhere near melting the pistons. Ran completely stock last year @ LRP 3 or 4 times without issue. Doesn't add up.
Sounds like the brakes were dragging a little, either you had your foot on the brake or the piston was sticking a little.

FYI I've never melted a stock piston and believe me I've tried
Old 05-13-2011, 08:47 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

sounds like what someone posted above.. active handling interfering.. do you run in competition mode or full off?
Old 05-13-2011, 09:03 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Z06_BluByU
sounds like what someone posted above.. active handling interfering.. do you run in competition mode or full off?
Even if he wasn't a smooth driver and AH was working all the time it shouldn't have generated enough heat to melt the pistons. If he is a smooth driver AH would rarely activate.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Front calipers locked up after pistons melted

Old 05-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Z06_BluByU
Race Director

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Even if he wasn't a smooth driver and AH was working all the time it shouldn't have generated enough heat to melt the pistons. If he is a smooth driver AH would rarely activate.

Bill
then that would seem to leave a caliper dragging.. if hes driving smooth, not on the brakes much on a high speed momentum course with brake cooling upgrades and SRF fluid.. it seems to point to something mechanical.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:23 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by larryfs
active handling pulsing the brakes ? creates heat.
Was running in competitive mode. Did not feel AH at all.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:29 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Sounds like the brakes were dragging a little, either you had your foot on the brake or the piston was sticking a little.

FYI I've never melted a stock piston and believe me I've tried

Piston must have stuck, certainly didn't have foot on brakes. There is only 1 spot on Lime Rock where hard braking is necessary, i.e. the end of the main straight.

Quick Reply: Front calipers locked up after pistons melted