Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need recommendation for 2 way radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 05:58 PM
m3to335
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need recommendation for 2 way radio

Our chump team had a difficult time communicating last month at CMS. There was no problem listening and talking under yellow, but when going ***** out, there's no way to understand what the driver is saying. Not to mention it was less than convinient for the driver to push the button on the headpiece wire when wanting to talk.

Does anyone have a good solution to this problem? Is a throat mike the way to go...and just leave the radio voice activated? Whatever the solution is, the hope is that it won't break the bank. This cheap racing is turning out to be "not so cheap" .

I can't remember exactly which radio's we used, but I believe it was something like this http://www.midlandradio.com/On-the-Road.LVL/GXT1000VP4.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:36 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Droid.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:23 PM
racerbob4
Instructor

Default radios

We have been using Speedcom radios for years with great sucess. The driver uses the custom earplugs but the foam ears with speakers in them work just fine as well. We have 4 radios, 3 to use in a race and 1 spare. We also have 3 headsets. Speedcom sells a lot of radios to pro teams and as a result they get a lot of trade-ins which they sell for a lot less. We use one of those aluminum brief-case type boxes they sell at Home Depot for $20 to hold the radios and 2 chargers and the headsets. The drivers microphone is built into the bottom part of the helmet and you can do it yourself if you at all handy. All the headsets come with noise cancelling mics built into them and have comfortable foam earcovers for endurance races. I think the radios that we use are the D-16 but I know they have 16 channels. Speedcom can set up 4 or 5 channels for you but I have never had any interference with other teams regarding channels.

You can call Speedcom and talk to Toto Lassily at 386.760.7110 and ask him about his trade-ins for a good price or just order the stuff you need. Tell him Bob Hines said hi.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:25 PM
m3to335
Pro

Great, I'll look into that. Thanks.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:30 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

I run Motorolas and it's a good system, but to be honest, the best radios I've seen are the Kenwoods that my buddy Mike Scornavacchi has in his car. They communicate farther than my Motorolas and are clearer...smaller and lighter too.

If I had it to over again, I'd go with the Kenwoods.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:19 PM
Pfadt Racing
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have had pretty good success with Sampson Racing products in the past. Not only do they work well, but they also sponsor and support grassroots racing. Something which we really appreciate!

http://www.sampsonracing.com
Old 05-29-2011, 10:36 AM
m3to335
Pro

Originally Posted by wtknght1
I run Motorolas and it's a good system, but to be honest, the best radios I've seen are the Kenwoods that my buddy Mike Scornavacchi has in his car. They communicate farther than my Motorolas and are clearer...smaller and lighter too.

Chris,

I shot you a PM earlier in the week but haven't heard back from you. What setup are you using in your helmet, and how are you doing PTT? It looks like the radios arent the issue, its everything else around it
Old 05-29-2011, 12:00 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by m3to335
Chris,

I shot you a PM earlier in the week but haven't heard back from you. What setup are you using in your helmet, and how are you doing PTT? It looks like the radios arent the issue, its everything else around it
You did!!?? I didn't get it and have nothing in my "PM box" so I'm not sure what happened there.

But I'll gladly answer your question. Phoenix set up my system, and I use just the simple foam ear bud that plugs into the side piece attached to my helmet. Most of the time, the "Racing Communications" trailer is at the track and they'll set up your connectors, mouthpiece, etc in your helmet for a very reasonable price. My PTT is mounted to the steering wheel...not just strapped. Phoenix drilled a small hole thru the steering wheel and mounted the button on there. It looks better and is more stable.

I don't use an external antenna on this car, but I did on my C5. I'm not sure if the external antenna is any better than the stock radio antenna or not to be honest.

It's important to make sure that all your components are connectable and not just wired, so you can easily replace anything that wears out, screws up, or just gets outdated.

And unlike most drivers, I also have a scanner in my car too so I can listen to race control and the corner workers. I use the radio ear bud in my left ear and my scanner goes in my right. Some drivers don't like all that, but it does help keep me informed of what's going on a bit better/faster.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by wtknght1; 05-29-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:06 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's a link to an article in Grassroots Motorsports Magazine about how to wire your helmet: Wiring the helmet!

I did mine just like this and it was easy.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:16 PM
m3to335
Pro

You did!!?? I didn't get it and have nothing in my "PM box" so I'm not sure what happened there.

But I'll gladly answer your question. Phoenix set up my system, and I use just the simple foam ear bud that plugs into the side piece attached to my helmet. Most of the time, the "Racing Communications" trailer is at the track and they'll set up your connectors, mouthpiece, etc in your helmet for a very reasonable price. My PTT is mounted to the steering wheel...not just strapped. Phoenix drilled a small hole thru the steering wheel and mounted the button on there. It looks better and is more stable.

I don't use an external antenna on this car, but I did on my C5. I'm not sure if the external antenna is any better than the stock radio antenna or not to be honest.

It's important to make sure that all your components are connectable and not just wired, so you can easily replace anything that wears out, screws up, or just gets outdated.

And unlike most drivers, I also have a scanner in my car too so I can listen to race control and the corner workers. I use the radio ear bud in my left ear and my scanner goes in my right. Some drivers don't like all that, but it does help keep me informed of what's going on a bit better/faster.

Hope this helps!
So exactly what PTT steering wheel mountable unit are you using? I'm leary about ordering anything when I cant see what connector is on the end of the harness. Same goes for the earphones and mic. Some say they work with this and that radio, but the connectors are completely wrong. So, any specifics are appreciated.

We aleady have a set of Midland radios that are great. Midland also has a PTT steering wheel mount. Unfortunately NONE of their headsets allow for enough volume to work in a racing environment.

I'd assume your Motorolla radio and setup is plently loud. If so, I'm game.

Heck, if you have pictures, that would be great too.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:58 PM
wtknght1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by m3to335
So exactly what PTT steering wheel mountable unit are you using? I'm leary about ordering anything when I cant see what connector is on the end of the harness. Same goes for the earphones and mic. Some say they work with this and that radio, but the connectors are completely wrong. So, any specifics are appreciated.

We aleady have a set of Midland radios that are great. Midland also has a PTT steering wheel mount. Unfortunately NONE of their headsets allow for enough volume to work in a racing environment.

I'd assume your Motorolla radio and setup is plently loud. If so, I'm game.

Heck, if you have pictures, that would be great too.
This is a pic of what I have.

http://www.speedcomracing.com/index....mart&Itemid=13

If I were you though, I would buy a complete system...that way you know everything connects and is made for your components. Most of the new systems come with detachable universal components though so you can mix and match. And if you can't, the Speedcom guys who show up at the track make tons of adapters, etc that will mate up to each one.

If you'll come to a SCCA or NASA event when the radio guys are going to be there, all you need to do is bring the car to them, tell them what you're looking for and they'll install it then and there. Again, I'd go with the Kenwood radios. They are just awesome. But, if you want the Motorolas, I'll sell you mine at a decent price, and I'll go buy new Kenwoods.

Last edited by wtknght1; 05-29-2011 at 08:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Need recommendation for 2 way radio

Quick Reply: Need recommendation for 2 way radio