Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever pulled over for DOT violations while trailering your car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:07 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Anyone ever pulled over for DOT violations while trailering your car?

In an off the topic discussion with a client this morning, I was told that towing my enclosed trailer / car could result in a DOT road violation since I have the 10/10ths logo on my truck and trailer.

Fully loaded, the truck, trailer, car and all my stuff comes in around 11,500 pounds.
I have a normal truck license on the truck.
the trailer is rated at 10,000 #s

I know from other folks with businesses that the State Troopers etc. are stepping up enforcement to bring in more $$

anybody have any experience or advice on this
Thanks
Old 05-25-2011, 10:19 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

What's the violation? So long as you're under the GCWR (gross combined weight rating) of the tow vehicle you should be legal.

In Virginia they do have trailer inspection and I've had a buddy stopped for an expired inspection sticker, but my trailer is registered at my parents' address in NC so it's a non-issue for me.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:23 AM
C&M Racing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulled over for speeding (85 in 70) coming home from race and she looked inside the trailer and asked if I had any gas stored in the trailer. I did not and she warned me not to carry spare gas. She also said if asked if I won money that changes your status to commerical. Best of all she gave me a verbal warning on the speeding because all of my paperwork and equipment was in good shape.

That was better then a trophy.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Have seen many many boats on trailers and RV trailers pulled over which may have been DOT violations

the RVs were being towed by pick ups with personal plates, not commercial plates or weight tags ( read tax paid)

Boats being pulled over for being too wide on a two lane road, and pick up not having a weighted tag ( commercial tag)

3/4 ton pick or larger with weighted tag and dont put any graphics on your trailer no matter how cool it looks.

Spare fuel in a trailer can get to be a big fine.

Not having a weighted tag for the truck.

NC Commercial Carries code is crazy. Then NC has a Motor sports Commercial Carries laws too.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 05-25-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I have never seen a boat, camper, or trailer pulled over by DOT. Troopers yes, propbably for speeding.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 329 Likes on 191 Posts

I have done allot of towing and I have never been pulled over for a DOT violation. I don't even stop at weigh stations. The law is really pretty simple, you can't be over the GVWR of the trailer or the truck and the GCVWR can't be over 26,001. If it is over that you have to have a CDL, if you are for hire, then you also have to have a CDL. I used to run our 40ft fifth wheel and dually which was GCVWR 25,500 with it lettered up all down the side. Never once was I ever asked to show a CDL or pulled over for going past a weigh station. I do see how you could possibly get in trouble for fuel in the trailer, but that would still be a difficult one since you can carry fuel in the bed of your truck. I guess it would have to be in a authorized container. Winning money does not make you commercial so that must have been that trooper. I don't think that would have held up in court. They could get you on a tax for your winnings though.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:42 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"Some things are better left unsaid . . . . . "

and some topics are better left undiscussed, especially on a public forum.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:45 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jason
I have never seen a boat, camper, or trailer pulled over by DOT. Troopers yes, propbably for speeding.
North Carolina east of I95 to the ocean, boats and RVs get pulled all the time
Old 05-25-2011, 10:51 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"

Originally Posted by C&M Racing
Pulled over for speeding (85 in 70) coming home from race and she looked inside the trailer and asked if I had any gas stored in the trailer. I did not and she warned me not to carry spare gas. She also said if asked if I won money that changes your status to commerical. Best of all she gave me a verbal warning on the speeding because all of my paperwork and equipment was in good shape.

That was better then a trophy.
The gas can discussion came up this morning. I will start limiting that to a minimum. I like to have at least one 5 gallon can for emergency use.
Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

There's always fuel in my trailer.... in the car. So what's the problem carrying it in proper jugs? What's the difference between having jugs in the bed of my truck vs. the trailer?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:59 AM
Z06_505
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
There's always fuel in my trailer.... in the car. So what's the problem carrying it in proper jugs? What's the difference between having jugs in the bed of my truck vs. the trailer?
The gasbags we call federal and state legislators call in experts at hearings, listen to them and then transpose the facts into another idiotic piece of legislation
Old 05-25-2011, 11:05 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

may be limited to 7 gallons in one jug in the trailer.

bed of the truck is different.

just one more picky thing for them to get someone on
Old 05-25-2011, 11:37 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Maybe it's been mentioned, but I think his question isn't really weight related, it's the 10/10's logo which could imply a business and being on a truck and trailer could mean a commercial business...but he will be skipping all the weigh-ins and doesn't have a DOT tag on the truck/trailer.

I don't have an answer, I've just left my trailer blank because I've heard the same thing and it varies state by state (I think North Carolina being one that enforces this)
Old 05-25-2011, 11:48 AM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Maybe it's been mentioned, but I think his question isn't really weight related, it's the 10/10's logo which could imply a business and being on a truck and trailer could mean a commercial business...but he will be skipping all the weigh-ins and doesn't have a DOT tag on the truck/trailer.

I don't have an answer, I've just left my trailer blank because I've heard the same thing and it varies state by state (I think North Carolina being one that enforces this)
Both actually
A buddy of mine was going to put the 10/10ths logo on his trailer but in KY, that then made it a business trailer and all sorts of crap then applied.

I have not had any sort of issue so far but just trying to head one off for future times
I may just plead insanity on my part, or the law's part
Old 05-25-2011, 12:03 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Many states have laws prohibiting carrying fuel in concealed containers. Some just limit it to being in the truck of a car, while others restrict it in most or all vehicles. This goes back to the first "gas crisis", around 1973, when people were carrying extra gas in cans in their trunks, because gas was so hard to find.

The other issues are spills, environmental concerns, and the safety of highway emergency personal. Most states require special labeling for vehicles carrying "hazardous" materials, which gasoline is considered.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen quite a few trucks/trailers labeled "Not For Hire". This seems to have some bearing on DOT rules. If you aren't running a business and just want a logo on your vehicle you might could get by with adding the "Not For Hire" label.

Originally Posted by gbvette62
Many states have laws prohibiting carrying fuel in concealed containers. Some just limit it to being in the truck of a car, while others restrict it in most or all vehicles. This goes back to the first "gas crisis", around 1973, when people were carrying extra gas in cans in their trunks, because gas was so hard to find.
Back around then I bought an old 20 gallon tank from the junkyard, capped the lines, through it in the back of my truck and rode around buying my limit (rationing) till it was full. Then when my mom came to visit I would have gas for her to get home on in case the town went dry.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

A little off subject but concerning passing the weigh stations; the only time I was pulled over with my clean (no logo) 24' enclosed trailer was in Florida because of passing up a weigh station. It seems, according to the officer, I should have stopped for an agricultural inspection. No ticket, just a look-see in the trailer at the vette and he was satisfied. I was well into the state on I-10 headed east.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever pulled over for DOT violations while trailering your car?

Old 05-25-2011, 01:28 PM
Don Keefhardt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Basically, cops are completely ignorant of the applicable USDOT and FMCSA regulations on private use of commercial vehicles. In many cases, even the "commercial vehicle enforcement" cops in many states are either dumb as hell, or willfully ignorant and willing to lie about it.

The FMCSA has provided SPECIFIC EXEMPTIONS, which classify most of the uses, by people reading this forum, as "non-commercial". See "Exemptions" under 3.f - http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...aspx?reg=390.3

See, in particular, "Question 21" - http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...0.3&guidence=Y

The federal government has specifically exempted this stuff. The states don't have any authority to regulate it.

Be prepared. Cops don't like being shown that they're wrong.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:59 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Whew, looks like I'm covered in section 4:

(4) The transportation of human corpses or sick and injured persons;
Old 05-25-2011, 02:52 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
Whew, looks like I'm covered in section 4:

(4) The transportation of human corpses or sick and injured persons;
I don't think self-inflicted injuries count.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever pulled over for DOT violations while trailering your car?