Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft clutch pedal question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Soft clutch pedal question

At my last track event (Buttonwillow #14 CW) I experienced a very soft clutch pedal a few times...Specifically, it would only come half way up from the floor. Every time it did this I went to the Pits and let the car cool for a while. This is the first time that I have experienced this. I am not sure if it was caused from less then perfect (being generous here) heal / toe down shifting? Or if it was due to the fact that I had unlimited track time and maybe I didn't allow enough time to cool? What do you think?

Thanks for the help,
Charley
Old 05-27-2011, 01:31 PM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
At my last track event (Buttonwillow #14 CW) I experienced a very soft clutch pedal a few times...Specifically, it would only come half way up from the floor. Every time it did this I went to the Pits and let the car cool for a while. This is the first time that I have experienced this. I am not sure if it was caused from less then perfect (being generous here) heal / toe down shifting? Or if it was due to the fact that I had unlimited track time and maybe I didn't allow enough time to cool? What do you think?

Thanks for the help,
Charley
My last two times at Putnam Park the clutch pedal would stay on the floor after a downshift going into turn one. I got really good at hooking my toe under the pedal and pulling it back up. I would come in and do a fluid exchange on the clutch and not experience the problem any more. Danny Popp suggested a new aftermarket clutch because the factory system does not like to be abused very much. I will most likely do a clutch after this season is over. Car is a 2004 Z06
Old 05-27-2011, 02:31 PM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAlley
I got really good at hooking my toe under the pedal and pulling it back up.
Superglue your shoe to the pedal, problem solved.

There are many threads on this common problem - search the "Autocrossing & Roadracing" section for anything with "clutch" in the title.

A good thread is this one: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...-and-cure.html

No magic bullet, alas

And fwiw, the same dang thing happens on the GTO: pedal stuck to the floor at the end of a long straight. Installing heat shielding around the line didn't help. Sucking out and replacing the fluid after every session helped. Switching to an e36 helped more

Get notified of new replies

To Soft clutch pedal question

Quick Reply: Soft clutch pedal question