Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comments on Monaco

Old 05-29-2011, 01:10 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Default Comments on Monaco

Was Monaco 2011 the most exciting F1 race?
Old 05-29-2011, 01:44 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
My DVR quit before the restart. I'm trying to find the last 4 laps on youtube or somewhere else.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:59 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Mine lasted thru the end of the race and podium, but quit before the post race interview (wish I coulda asked Hamilton some questions)
Old 05-29-2011, 02:27 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Bloody Unbelievable Great Racing

WOW
Old 05-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Mine lasted thru the end of the race and podium, but quit before the post race interview (wish I coulda asked Hamilton some questions)
Always, always, always add at least one extra hour to F1 race recordings

As for Hamilton, you can read some fun stuff here

http://adamcooperf1.com/

Z//
Old 05-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Bloody Unbelievable Great Racing

WOW
Agreed. It's just too bad that for the FIA "suspended race" means "start up again with all new parts and tires."

That last 5 laps would have been *REALLY* interesting if they'd truly picked up where they left off.

Z//
Old 05-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
Agreed. It's just too bad that for the FIA "suspended race" means "start up again with all new parts and tires."

That last 5 laps would have been *REALLY* interesting if they'd truly picked up where they left off.

Z//
Yeah, their rules need some help/updating. They pretty much gave the race to "the winner" (trying to not insert a spoiler in the thread) by allowing the teams to put on new tires. If they would not have been allowed to work on the cars during the race suspension it might have been a different outcome, and if "the winner" would have won it with his old tires I would at least feel like he earned the win.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:38 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It's just too bad that for the FIA "suspended race" means "start up again with all new parts and tires."
ditto. on their old junk, the top 3 sprint to the end was gonna be a good one
Old 05-29-2011, 03:54 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Yeah, their rules need some help/updating. They pretty much gave the race to "the winner" (trying to not insert a spoiler in the thread) by allowing the teams to put on new tires. If they would not have been allowed to work on the cars during the race suspension it might have been a different outcome, and if "the winner" would have won it with his old tires I would at least feel like he earned the win.
Yeah, I had questions on that. I always thought the regulations required NO WORK under red flag conditions. But then I saw them rebuilding the whole rear wing on Hamilton and (I thought) putting on tire warmers.....but on restart saw that the whole field had installed new sticker tires???? The ending might have been more fair if Hamilton had had to carry his rear wing around in his lap for the final 5 laps
Old 05-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I had questions on that. I always thought the regulations required NO WORK under red flag conditions. But then I saw them rebuilding the whole rear wing on Hamilton and (I thought) putting on tire warmers.....but on restart saw that the whole field had installed new sticker tires???? The ending might have been more fair if Hamilton had had to carry his rear wing around in his lap for the final 5 laps
Yeah, I couldn't believe what was going on. The announcers said the rules "did not say you could not put on new tires" so I guess they interpreted it that you could.

I will use the much-maligned NASCAR as an example - under a red flag you don't touch the cars. Period. There is the now-famous shot of a driver (think it was Sterling Marlin maybe) getting out of his car to pull on his crunched front fender and the officials were immediately all over him. F1 needs to clarify their rules and in my opinion under a red flag you've got what you've got for tires, wear, damage etc. Your performance and strategy during the race put you where you are, and no freaking rule ambiguity should wipe all that out in a split second, and change the likely outcome of the race.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

The ending might have been more fair if Hamilton had had to carry his rear wing around in his lap for the final 5 laps
Hamilton was already down the list and stayed there. McLaren's concern was being black-flagged out of *any* points for having an unsafe car. I have no problem with being allowed to repair an unsafe car in this situation. On the other hand...

Z//
Old 05-29-2011, 06:37 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

totally awesome...
Old 05-29-2011, 06:40 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hamilton was already down the list and stayed there. McLaren's concern was being black-flagged out of *any* points for having an unsafe car. I have no problem with being allowed to repair an unsafe car in this situation. On the other hand...
I do, either you should be able to touch the car and do whatever, or don't touch it at all (ie, restart the rest just like it was when it paused).

I am pretty sure in Cup they can't touch the car under a red (I have seen them size up damage and gather needed tools/parts, but no touchy)
Old 05-29-2011, 06:48 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

It was over before they even restarted. Leader was on stickers and the other 2 were on scrubs. Shameful end to an awesome race.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:00 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Your performance and strategy during the race put you where you are, and no freaking rule ambiguity should wipe all that out in a split second, and change the likely outcome of the race.
This is what ruined a great race for me. As I said above, Hamilton's repair work for safety issues is one thing. All new tires when the outcome of the race was going to be decided by the race-long tire-use strategies was seriously lame. For the past few weeks we've had both the FIA and FOTA fist pumping and "woohooing" about how great this season has been BECAUSE OF THE TIRE WEAR ISSUES and then they go and dick what could have been the greatest F1 race ever BECAUSE OF THE TIRE WEAR ISSUES that they introduced for precisely this reason.

For a long time now the F1 gang has shown a stunning inability to think through the potential ramifications of new/changed rules. Example: It took them three tries to construct a qualifying procedure that often was arguably more entertaining than the races themselves. So, what did they do? They said to Pirelli, "make us tires that degrade more quickly." That's fine. But then they ration the tires so tightly that the teams actually question whether it's more valuable to save a set of good tires than it is to be on pole (!!!) The result is that the fans who pay hundreds of dollars to see a race weekend (and those of us watching on TV) see just 6 laps of each car (of the big 4 teams) during qualifying. And if they don't get pole, they don't care all that much anyway. So much for that wonderful Saturday qualifying.

Sigh.

Z//
Old 05-29-2011, 09:11 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I'm glad my dvr asked me if I wanted to add 30 min to the ending time.
I'm glad I didn't open this thread until I'd watched the race.
I always enjoy watching the Monaco race. The driving thru the streets of town is always interseting.

I was surprised with the tire changes during the red flag, that was crazy.
It was a breath of fresh air compared to the F1 races where one guy gets out front and stays there.
Old 05-29-2011, 09:24 PM
vetteblack
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd say the best race this season. Would have been the best race by far if there wasnt the accident with petrov(?). If they raced to the finish before the accident with the tires they had on, it would have been a nail biter!

Get notified of new replies

To Comments on Monaco

Old 05-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jaa1992
I always enjoy watching the Monaco race. The driving thru the streets of town is always interseting.
Agreed. I've been in Monaco and I've walked the (streets that comprise the) race track. It's even smaller than it looks on TV and the fact that they can *average* 100+ mph around there is nothing short of astounding.

It was a breath of fresh air compared to the F1 races where one guy gets out front and stays there.
Pretty much all of the races this year have been competitive and interesting.

Z//
Old 05-30-2011, 05:52 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
My DVR quit before the restart. I'm trying to find the last 4 laps on youtube or somewhere else.
I always try to extend my coverage as I have been cut short a few times. Great race for Monaco but new tires sucked.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:00 PM
jcosta79
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Add More Hard Drive Space to Your DVR

I've noticed a lot of you were cut short on your DVR recordings. I always add 3 hours to my live events in case of a delayed start to rain, accidents, etc...

If you're worried about limited space with your DVR's hard drive, I would recommend adding an external hard drive.

I have a 2TB external hard drive that allows me to record 500 hours in HD. (I can only imagine how much you could record in SD)

If you have a DirecTV receiver you can connect an external hard drive and expand your capacity. Just make sure that the hard drive has an eSATA connection.

Here's a link to the hard drive I have on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-eSATA-...6806729&sr=8-1

With 500 hours of HD recording capacity, you can set all your F1 races to extend for 3 hours and not have to worry about running out of space.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Comments on Monaco