Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple months with LG GT2 coliovers - Observations - Setup - Opinion

Old 06-05-2011, 05:07 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple months with LG GT2 coliovers - Observations - Setup - Opinion

So let me go ahead and say that for the most part I am very happy with the overall packaging and quality of LG's GT2 coilovers.

I was going to do an install write up but since there is quite a few on the site already I decided to speed the process up and not document the install.

Note that I have yet to adjust LG's out the box spring pre load . From my understand it is the goldilocks setting. Not to stiff not too soft.

I have been playing with the damping settings and height adjustments.

To keep things short and simple - I have found that by lowering the car anymore than a 1/2 - 1 inch lower than factory, handling was seriously compromised. Sure the car looked awesome but steering, ride and bumpsteer was too unbearable, especially when I spent the amount of money I did for this setup.

Raising the car back up and keeping the damping settings in the lower end improved day to day handling greatly. Steering is more linear and feelsome. Body control is in check, in fact I'll go as far as to say it feels more nimble. Keep in mind I'm no softy, the car is still stiff, but it abosorbing bumps the way a good sporting car should. Not the crashing over bumps kind of stiff.

I have come to terms with the fact that going lower without drop spindles throws off suspension geometry enough to effect the cars feel at low and high speeds. I can't go into complete technical details about why but then again im sure a more thorough search of the forum will explain this.

Are coilovers worth it? I would say do the research and make sure the imporvments you are looking for is what the end result would be. Then again everyones different, some are willing to compromise handling for good looks, some may not notice the difference perhaps.

Handling is more than just how fast you can take a corner, what happens when that corner has bumps or other irregularities, consider the big picture. Handling is about having confidence in the car you are piloting. Its easy to say well take a driving school and learn to be a better driver. Did that at all alter the handling or feel of the car? No

The best of drivers can pick apart any sportscar especially the Corvette's with its many faults. It is also about pleasure. Body control is also important. I can zero out most body roll with larger bars etc but is it worth it when the car is rocking back and forth over the broken pavment? Balance is key...

I daily drive my car, I put cornering ability and handling above all else and I'm happy to say I have found my sweet spot. TO each his own.

1999 FRC
Mods
C6 sway bars and poly bushings
GT2 Coilovers
Nitto NT-05 Tires wrapped around OEM Z06 wheels
Old 06-05-2011, 05:45 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I just recently raised my lowered vette back up to stock and I'm happier as well.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:20 PM
niteriderc5
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000BSME
I just recently raised my lowered vette back up to stock and I'm happier as well.
It sucks it has to be this way because the lowered look really compliments the shape of the car. But then again I spend more time driving the car more than I stare at it so...

Get notified of new replies

To Couple months with LG GT2 coliovers - Observations - Setup - Opinion

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Couple months with LG GT2 coliovers - Observations - Setup - Opinion