Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to tie down Z06, not using the frame holes

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 PM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Best way to tie down Z06, not using the frame holes

I am picking up a rollback trailer this weekend for my 2002 Z06. What is the best way to tie it down on the trailer, Without using the factory frame holes. I have rocker rails/jacking plates that are perm on the car and they cover the factory holes. Also my race wheels are CCW clasic race wheels, so I dont think a strap thru the wheel will work.
Any Ideas?
thanks

Last edited by bsalie99; 06-07-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:17 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by bsalie99
I am picking up a rollback trailer this weekend for my 2002 Z06. What is the best way to tie it down on the trailer, Without using the factory frame holes. I have rocker rails/jacking plates that are perm on the car and they cover the factory holes. Also my reace wheels are CCW clasic race wheels, so I dont think a strap thru the wheel will work.
Any Ideas?
thanks
Wheel nets seem like the last option there.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i trailered my honda s2000 i just put straps through the lower control arms and tie down to d rings in the floor. car didnt go anywhere and wasnt damaged.
i would think the same can be applied to the vette.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:27 PM
vettehardt
Burning Brakes

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

With my brother's 04 Z06 and my dad's 90 ZR-1, we use an axle strap around the lower control arm on the front. We cross the tie downs also. On the rear, we use an axle strap through the wheels but do not cross the tie downs.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 PM
CP Thunder
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use straps through our CCWs with no problem in the front and don't cross them (puts strain on the steering rack. I cross the rears but put the straps through the lower control arms on the outside of the sway bar endlink........works like a charm. That way you don't get the strap wedged in the suspension bushing area when the car bounces around a bit in the trailer..............
Old 06-07-2011, 10:27 PM
mphox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use 4 straps one over each tire with two d rings and one square ring.

Like this

http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/product/214/WheelNets

Except I use a strap not a tire net
Old 06-08-2011, 12:04 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

straps through the wheels, no issues here towed many miles
Old 06-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Bills Z06
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

I loop the strap over the lower A arms. Never a problem!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:59 AM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Good info, I was going to make the same thread today as I need to haul my Z06 this weekend for the first time.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:00 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Bills Z06
I loop the strap over the lower A arms. Never a problem!
This. Have the straps criss cross to prevent any possible movement. That is tie the strap from left lower control arms to right side of trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG65mcICyuY
Old 06-08-2011, 03:42 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My advice is get rid of the jack pucks and use the slots in the frame rails. All straps should be crossed from side to side to evenly distribute the load on the straps and insure lateral stability. (this last fact was beat into us repeatedly when I was in the Army)

Remember you're not just tying the car down to keep on the trailer while you drive to the track, you're also securing it to the trailer to prevent it from becoming a 3000lb projectile in event of a (heaven forbid) collison. Sounds dramatic I know, but look how much money we spend on helmets, Hans, seats, fire suppression, titanium lugnuts , and other safety gear that we hope never to have to "use".

I know. Say it with me: "I've always done it this way and never had an issue." Yep and when I was young I drove without seatbelts and rode my motorcyle without a helmet and never had an issue either. Wasn't my brightest moment though.

Just food for thought.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:05 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
My advice is get rid of the jack pucks and use the slots in the frame rails. All straps should be crossed from side to side to evenly distribute the load on the straps and insure lateral stability. (this last fact was beat into us repeatedly when I was in the Army)

Remember you're not just tying the car down to keep on the trailer while you drive to the track, you're also securing it to the trailer to prevent it from becoming a 3000lb projectile in event of a (heaven forbid) collison. Sounds dramatic I know, but look how much money we spend on helmets, Hans, seats, fire suppression, titanium lugnuts , and other safety gear that we hope never to have to "use".

I know. Say it with me: "I've always done it this way and never had an issue." Yep and when I was young I drove without seatbelts and rode my motorcyle without a helmet and never had an issue either. Wasn't my brightest moment though.

Just food for thought.
A way with words!

Get notified of new replies

To Best way to tie down Z06, not using the frame holes

Quick Reply: Best way to tie down Z06, not using the frame holes