Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not how i wanted to finish my race season...

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:37 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Not how i wanted to finish my race season...

Some here know I pulled out of CA last Thursday headed for WI for the June Sprints. Plan was to get there Sunday night to run with GT Track Days on Monday and Tuesday to learn the track. Well, that didn't quite happen.

Well, I've finished off my T1 race career with a bang. I arrived at Road America Sunday night about 7:30 and unloaded the trailer. Come Monday morning I took a ride in a GT3 Porsche to learn the track at speed, and then recruited Mike Newlander to coach me for a few laps to really learn the line. Lap 1 went well, I hit my marks, but was only driving about 50%, lap 2 I was putting in a little more effort to about 60%. Going into turn 1 I couldn't get the car into 3rd without a few attempts, then coming out the same trying going up to 4th. On the stretch from turn 4 to 5 I lifted early at the top of the hill and boasted down the hill. A little before the actual brake zone I began to ease into the brakes. At that moment the rear locked up and pitched to the left, I caught it with the car now in neutral and it pitched back right, I again caught it but now we were sliding through my own oil. It went left again and we were left as just passengers. The rear burst into a flame just prior to the rear hitting the wall, and then the front, which caused the car to slide to a stop with the passenger side pinned against the wall. Key off, master wire off, fire system pulled...nothing. pulled again, nothing. Time to bail out, I got out and instantly realized mike couldn't so I reached in and pulled him out.

Good news is, we were out and okay and the fire turned out to be "just" a flash fire and was out.

The car is for sale. The condition I will sell it in will be given after I get home and do some number crunching.

Mike, it was really great meeting you and I'm sorry again for taking you for quite a ride. Hopefully we meet again someday soon.

-Chris Ronson, Jr.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:42 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like a rather nasty off track excursion - glad that you both got out without problem. What exactly blew up and caused the oil down - engine, tranny - diff ? Was the racing retirement planned or is this incident the cause ? Every one has an off now and then, some are just worse than others --
Old 06-14-2011, 09:14 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Really sorry to read about this. I hope you can find another hobby you enjoy or maybe just get a Miata and instruct at HPDE if racing is your love.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Racer-38
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW Chris...........that absolutely SUCKS!
Glad you guys are OK.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:01 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry to hear about all that....I have "some" experience with bad weekends and not matter what.....they ALL suck! Best of luck in whatever you do from here on out!
Old 06-14-2011, 11:29 PM
DarkMastyr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy moly glad to hear both of you made it out
Old 06-15-2011, 12:09 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Hi Chris. Sorry to hear about your accident, BUT very glad to hear that y'all both got out OK
Old 06-15-2011, 02:28 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Sounds like a rather nasty off track excursion - glad that you both got out without problem. What exactly blew up and caused the oil down - engine, tranny - diff ? Was the racing retirement planned or is this incident the cause ? Every one has an off now and then, some are just worse than others --
Motor is destroyed. It threw a rod while I was coasting down the hill to 5. I don't know the condition of the trans or diff..diff is not locked and both wheels spin fine, which doesn't mean much. Both, but I was planning to race the Trans Am series next year in TA2, now I'm so sick of everything I need some sanity back away from all this. I have a possible business venture I can get into and am exploring options. And I know, look back at a thread I made last month, I've had one HELL of a year. I tried to preserve through all the bad, now I just give up. I'm not having fun and therefore it makes no sense to keep going. I can't say I've ever given up on something, but I am now..

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Really sorry to read about this. I hope you can find another hobby you enjoy or maybe just get a Miata and instruct at HPDE if racing is your love.
I have lots of guns, a great dog, and a 500+ HP 02 Camaro that is pretty much setup for autox and hpde.

Originally Posted by Racer-38
WOW Chris...........that absolutely SUCKS!
Glad you guys are OK.
Thanks Bob, and yea, I'm pretty disgusted by it all.

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
Sorry to hear about all that....I have "some" experience with bad weekends and not matter what.....they ALL suck! Best of luck in whatever you do from here on out!
Thank you Randy, I wish your car could fly too
Old 06-15-2011, 02:33 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

It really sounds worse than it is. I hit the wall twice and caught fire, but the damage is surprisingly minimal...a little luck with the hands and I saved the car from nosing in at 100+. New bumpers and supports and probably a new tie rod and the cosmetics fine..
Old 06-15-2011, 06:14 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Glad to hear you both made it out ok. Scary moments.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:16 AM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't make any emotional decisions: Sleep on it a few nights.

This time last year I was ready to throw in the towel. I am glad I didn't as the remainder of the year was pretty good.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:18 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Sorry to hear about your car and glad to hear that you two were OK.

Spinning in your own oil going into T5 does not sound like fun.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:41 AM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,753 Likes on 941 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Wow! Im glad everyone is OK!

It has been a tough year for you. I would understand wanting to take a break for a while. Dont be gone too long though!
Old 06-15-2011, 09:26 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Sorry to hear of your crash. Glad you are both OK! What ever you decide? the best of luck to you. JD
Old 06-15-2011, 09:27 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BuckeyeZ06
Don't make any emotional decisions: Sleep on it a few nights.

This time last year I was ready to throw in the towel. I am glad I didn't as the remainder of the year was pretty good.
I have made numerous attempts to quit this nasty sport over the past 20 years and all have ended in me going in deeper the next time.

Don't sell anything if you don't have to. Just set it aside for a while and see how you feel down the road.

So glad to hear you are both ok as that is what is most important. Sounds like a scary ride... Sorry for your bad season - I promise you, we've all been there or will be there at some point.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:48 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

David, its not emotional anymore. I've stopped having fun altogether and need a break. My last 3 motors all lost the bottom end, which indicates low oil pressure or incorrectly built. Last 2 were crates and this a rebuild. I put a brand new cooler in, brand new oil lines, legal or not I had the factory pump shimmed to flow more, and then I still lose a motor, UNDER DECCELERATON!!! It's ridiculous. And I'm sick of it.

I have a business opportunity that I can use the cash for, and I might do that. If I'm lucky, in 2 years ill be back with something.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:49 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by clubracer6
I have made numerous attempts to quit this nasty sport over the past 20 years and all have ended in me going in deeper the next time.

Don't sell anything if you don't have to. Just set it aside for a while and see how you feel down the road.

So glad to hear you are both ok as that is what is most important. Sounds like a scary ride... Sorry for your bad season - I promise you, we've all been there or will be there at some point.
I meant to come say hi to you yesterday, but didn't see you on my way out..

Get notified of new replies

To Not how i wanted to finish my race season...

Old 06-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Come Monday morning I took a ride in a GT3 Porsche to learn the track at speed, and then recruited Mike Newlander to coach me for a few laps to really learn the line.

Mike, it was really great meeting you and I'm sorry again for taking you for quite a ride. Hopefully we meet again someday soon.

-Chris Ronson, Jr.

Chris,

It was great putting a forum handle with a face and meeting you.

Let me first confirm that this was 100% a mechanical failure and had nothing to do with Chris's driving.

From the breakage until we came to a complete rest felt like 3 weeks.

Here's my recollection:

1) Because this is a T1 car and set up for a single driver, the passenger side had no FIA padding around the cage. I thought I was going to get my bell rung at a minimum.

2) I noticed in the side view mirror we were on fire.

3) I looked down at the fire bottle my feet were straddling to locate the fire pin.

4) Chris held his composure through two saves until the oil got the best of us and then both feet in and braced for impact as we were now along for the ride. I braced as well, just before impact closing my eyes to avoid debris.

5) We came to rest with my side pinned against the wall at the bottom of T5. I could not open the door nor crawl out the window. The car was smoking and at the time and did not know it was just a flash fire. I feared I was going to be BBQ'd.

6) After several attempts of pulling the fire pin we both bailed. I remember yelling, "Let's get out of the car." Aside from the fire, I feared cars coming into T5 at 150mph+ posing a serious threat to us getting rammed.

7) Chris got out and I dove across the drivers seat with full gear on. Chris reached in and helped pull me out. We both took cover behind the concrete retaining wall.

8) It was there we saw the oil slick starting well in front of the 5 Marker and continued solidly where the car sat.

9) Chris once again made sure I was okay, class act!

10) After the track went cold we went back to access the damage. It wasn't clear if it was diff fluid or motor oil. I gave it a small taste and still couldn't tell. Unfortunately, it was motor oil as we also found metal debris.

11) Road America's safety crew is top notch!

After looking at the car once it was back in the paddock, you wouldn't believe how little external body damage there was. The car doesn't look that bad.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Safety mods before performance mods. Give me a full cage before adding HP or suspension mods. I think the only performance mod I would be good with before a cage is a good brake system.

Chris, no way to sugar coat this, it sucks but are both okay remarkably unscathed. Cars come and go, people do not! I'd get back in the car with you any day pal!

Mike

NOTE: I sent you a PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:35 AM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris,
I agree with the other posts to wait a bit before doing anything final but then do what feels best for you. Sorry about the accident, I lost a car at RA also through no fault of mine and it takes more than a Hallmark sympathy card to get past it. What hurt me the most was after driving a 1,000 miles not being able to run the course, and you drove twice as far! Best to you whatever you decide.

Mike,
We now have another experience in common!
Old 06-15-2011, 11:40 AM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
I meant to come say hi to you yesterday, but didn't see you on my way out..
You would of had to come to Chicago to say hi. A Grand Am driver rented my car and Joel from Corvette Sports was taking care of it. Would have been great to meet you though and I do wish I was there.

Quick Reply: Not how i wanted to finish my race season...