Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes on Fire...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 09:46 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Brakes on Fire...

Today was at Mosport and I pulled into the pits after about 25 minutes of hard tracktime, I pulled in early, just prior to the last lap being called and didnt really get a good cool down lap, as I pulled into pit lane, I pulled over to talk to someone and as I was talking I noticed a bit of smoke coming up from the front of my car, I was semi bragging that I smoked my brakes cause that how fast I am , just then another guy walked by and said "Ummm Dude, your brakes are on fire" I was like "SHI@" I pulled it forward a couple feet and it went out... I had my hand on my fire extinguisher but didnt need it...

Ever happen to you? what causes that? heat + Brake dust?

I have the AP T1 brakes and I was a bit lazy and kept my Ferodo CP2500 street pads on... after that I switched back to my DS1.1 track pads.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

could be track rubber / goobers.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
could be track rubber / goobers.

I agree. Every so often one lands just right and it smokes like crazy for awhile.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:55 PM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could be the rubber boots?

I was noodling around infineon a while back and suddenly had a decent-sized cloud of smoke in the car. Then it went away again. I never found out what it was and assume that a booger landed in a caliper and had itself a flash fire.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Could have been some out gassing from the pads especially if you were pushing them to their temperature limits. Was in a student's car following his son in another car. As the son started braking for the next turn flames started shooting out of the right front wheel. Afterwards we pulled the wheel and took a look at the pads. They were toasted and starting to dis-integrate from being over heated.

Bill
Old 06-16-2011, 07:01 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

lesson learned, drive around too cool off the car a bit
Old 06-16-2011, 07:22 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Organic pads?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:39 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

DTC70's used to always smoke after a hard session.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:50 AM
mfquinn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Backing material burning off can do that. Also, the dust boots can cause that. If your pads are getting thin and the pistons are sticking out some, the boots could get stuck/burnt into the pistons. Fun stuff to sand off
Old 06-17-2011, 03:14 AM
gintama
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, this has happened to me. This is different from smoking which other posters above have already covered. Cool down driving is a must for smoking. But what I found out about the fire was that if I bleed my brakes and use normal torque to tighten the valve, a small amount of brake fluid seeps out during HARD braking, which catches fire. Also, there is residual fluid that sits in the bleeder. I hate to do it, but tightening the bleeder valve more than normal seemed to stop the problem, but I have questions about valve seating and breaking the actual bleeder off in the caliper. This may be a good reason to either use less brake or go to a BBK.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:48 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I had that happen during a red flag situation where I pulled off line and the brakes smoked so bad I almost got out of the car. But since it was only one side I thought it must just be track rubber falling onto the rotor.

The AP T1 brakes don't have boots, so it isn't the boots.

I have had the AP T1 bleeder screws weep brake fluid once they get hot and you brake hard. 12 ft-lbs is the spec for the AP T1 bleeders, which is a pretty good twist.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:50 AM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GettReal
I have the AP T1 brakes and I was a bit lazy and kept my Ferodo CP2500 street pads on... after that I switched back to my DS1.1 track pads.
Changing pads is so easy with the AP brakes I'd call that more than "a bit lazy"
Old 06-17-2011, 01:09 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

You likely had track turds get flung to your brakes. If you have a fire like a semi truck brakes... you might have a bit of a problem.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by naschmitz
I had that happen during a red flag situation where I pulled off line and the brakes smoked so bad I almost got out of the car. But since it was only one side I thought it must just be track rubber falling onto the rotor.

The AP T1 brakes don't have boots, so it isn't the boots.

I have had the AP T1 bleeder screws weep brake fluid once they get hot and you brake hard. 12 ft-lbs is the spec for the AP T1 bleeders, which is a pretty good twist.
12 lb. ft. on a bleeder
Old 06-17-2011, 08:15 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by naschmitz
Changing pads is so easy with the AP brakes I'd call that more than "a bit lazy"
LOL thanks for calling that out, but you are correct, its crazy how fast you can do a pad swap but when I got to the track I had to unload from trailer, started to put on the slicks and they called my session... Thats when I made the decision not to spend the entire 8 minutes to switch out the pads
Old 06-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

I've seen a couple cars with "flaming brakes". I think in one case at least, it was likely risidual brake fluid on/around the bleeder, and the rubber cap for the bleeder is what was on fire.
Old 06-18-2011, 05:30 PM
mashinter
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

I've seen rubber dust boots burn.

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes on Fire...

Old 06-19-2011, 03:08 AM
grantar2
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had it happen once when Tom Berry drove my car instructing me at an autocross at the old El Toro Marine Corp Air Station. He left foot breaks well using the gas. Was a screaming fast run, all well instructing me. When we hit the time stand, they told me my brakes were on fire. I could see smoke from the passenger seat. Tom rolled the car a little and it went out, no damage. Run would have been a championship speed, but that what happens when you let a several time national, and fourteen plus time regional champion drive your car.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:08 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Cap'n Pete
I've seen a couple cars with "flaming brakes". I think in one case at least, it was likely risidual brake fluid on/around the bleeder, and the rubber cap for the bleeder is what was on fire.
OK, first of all this happened on the session where you, me and Mark were all within 10 feet of eachother for 5 laps pushing a pretty good pace... you know, the one where you started smoking too .... the two of us were circling the paddock trying to cool down hahaha.

Anyway, I took off the slicks last night and on the inside of the barrel there are burn marks from what looks like a rubber tire turd sat on fire. Couldnt see anything else concerning so thats what I'm going with.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:19 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by GettReal
OK, first of all this happened on the session where you, me and Mark were all within 10 feet of eachother for 5 laps pushing a pretty good pace... you know, the one where you started smoking too .... the two of us were circling the paddock trying to cool down hahaha.

Anyway, I took off the slicks last night and on the inside of the barrel there are burn marks from what looks like a rubber tire turd sat on fire. Couldnt see anything else concerning so thats what I'm going with.
Understand, burning turd was the cause . However, I think it must have been from riding the brakes so much ..... you know, if you were on the brakes less, and the throttle more, I wouldn't have had to ride my brakes so much either!

Quick Reply: Brakes on Fire...