Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hitting the inside wall ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 07:16 AM
Dan Wendling
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitting the inside wall ?

Why is it that a car in a spin often hits the inside barrier of the turn? Counter intuitive to me, seems like at the point traction is lost the car would head off on the tangent to the curve at that point?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:29 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Drivers jeck the steering wheel back ONTO the track and go across the pavement and hit the inside
Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

As the rear steps out, the car points inward. As the car slows the tires regain traction and propel the car in the direction it is pointing.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:52 PM
bobmoore2
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jason
As the rear steps out, the car points inward. As the car slows the tires regain traction and propel the car in the direction it is pointing.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Another thing that often happens is the car slides both outside wheels off. If you're not extra careful at this point you will cause the car to violently rotate towards the infield, because now the inside tires on the pavement have much more traction than the outside tires on the dirt/grass. Then "as the car slows the tires regain traction and propel the car in the direction it is pointing", towards the inside of the turn. Before you can regain control, you've hit the pit wall on the front straight FAST and HARD.

Last edited by bobmoore2; 06-16-2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:01 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

the late apex turn is designed to be safest because it helps keep you on the track. Sometimes you need to early apex but then sometimes it does not work out and you put 2 wheels off. One way to prevent the inside wall hookup spin is to open your wheel and allow the 2 wheels off if that is where the car wants to go and slow the car to regain control before getting back on the tarmac.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:15 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by bobmoore2
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Another thing that often happens is the car slides both outside wheels off. If you're not extra careful at this point you will cause the car to violently rotate towards the infield, because now the inside tires on the pavement have much more traction than the outside tires on the dirt/grass. Then "as the car slows the tires regain traction and propel the car in the direction it is pointing", towards the inside of the turn. Before you can regain control, you've hit the pit wall on the front straight FAST and HARD.
What actually causes the car to suddenly dart across the track to the inside is when you go 2 off and apply steering to try to get back on the track and then both front tires are on the track and only one rear. That swings your car violently and uncontrollably across the track and either into a wall, another car, or if you're lucky into the infield. Fortunately, I learned this lesson in Turn 1 at Thunderhill and just had to spend a couple months pulling dirt out of my car and engine compartment. That's why you want to keep 2 off until you can straighten the wheel and gradually get back on track.

Last edited by redtopz; 06-17-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:32 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
That's why you want to keep 2 off until you can straighten the wheel and gradually get back on track.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:45 AM
RacePro Engineering
Tech Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Coming in late here, but for whatever it might be worth . . . .

LoPresti's Racing Rule of Thumb #29: If the car loses traction in the "first half" of the turn, it will end up on the outside of the turn. If traction is lost in the "second half" of the turn, the car will land on the inside of the turn.

Naturally, this does not take into account the moron who actually believes he is going to power his way out of a spin.

Ed

Get notified of new replies

To Hitting the inside wall ?

Quick Reply: Hitting the inside wall ?