Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake help needed please. I am in a pickle

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 09:12 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Brake help needed please. I am in a pickle

I need some help please. I have a C6 that I have done brake bleeds on at least 30-40 times. So my friend has a 1992 that had brake fluid that was nasty! Being the nice guy I am I told him I would flush his brake fluid. OK, the brakes were working fine before I touched them. I sucked out all the old nasty brake fluid and filled it with fresh fluid. (On my C6 it is just one single brake fluid reservior) I then hooked up my Motiv bleeder and pumped up the pressure. I started at the rear drivers side, then rear passenger side opening the bleeder screws and bleeding each caliper until nice clean fluid was coming out and no air bubbles. I then unhooked the Motiv and topped off the reservoir with more fresh fluid and hooked the system up and started at the passenger front and then the drivers front. Same thing I have done over and over and over on my C6. When done, brake light is on and no brake peddle pressure. Right to the floor. I may have come close to running out of fluid in the reservoir on the last caliper (drivers side front).

The brake reservoir is different then on my car as it seems to have two seperate parts (see the picture below). I can see dirty fluid in the front part but have no clue how you get to that part. I am also not sure if it is that part that feeds the rear line or not.

So, please tell me what I did wrong. This was my first time with a C4 so I must have missed something. I am very embarrased with this. Help please

Old 06-16-2011, 09:24 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

I would bleed the master cylinder, then the right rear, left front, left rear, and then the right front. Sounds like maybe air got trapped in the master cylinder when it got real low on you.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Too low = air in master. Take it off and bench bleed it (making sure it is level).
Old 06-16-2011, 09:45 PM
lbs90ZR
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mfquinn
I need some help please. I have a C6 that I have done brake bleeds on at least 30-40 times. So my friend has a 1992 that had brake fluid that was nasty! Being the nice guy I am I told him I would flush his brake fluid. OK, the brakes were working fine before I touched them. I sucked out all the old nasty brake fluid and filled it with fresh fluid. (On my C6 it is just one single brake fluid reservior) I then hooked up my Motiv bleeder and pumped up the pressure. I started at the rear drivers side, then rear passenger side opening the bleeder screws and bleeding each caliper until nice clean fluid was coming out and no air bubbles. I then unhooked the Motiv and topped off the reservoir with more fresh fluid and hooked the system up and started at the passenger front and then the drivers front. Same thing I have done over and over and over on my C6. When done, brake light is on and no brake peddle pressure. Right to the floor. I may have come close to running out of fluid in the reservoir on the last caliper (drivers side front).

The brake reservoir is different then on my car as it seems to have two seperate parts (see the picture below). I can see dirty fluid in the front part but have no clue how you get to that part. I am also not sure if it is that part that feeds the rear line or not.

So, please tell me what I did wrong. This was my first time with a C4 so I must have missed something. I am very embarrased with this. Help please

Mine has two seperate resevoirs, easy to see level (1990). With the brake light on, it sounds like air got in. The front portion of the resevoir you mention is dirty, it might of been hard to see when it was low.

I would bleed it again. After it is bled and there is brake pedal, the brake light can be reset by pressing the brake pedal, hard. I think the manual says something like 100lbs of force. If it won't reset, you can take the plastic switch out on the inboard side of the MC, and center the shuttle valve so the groove is in the center of the hole, the switch should easily installed then.

I use 10 lbs. of pressure on mine for bleeding. How much pressure does the Motiv bleeder do?
Old 06-16-2011, 09:50 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Is there a way to get the air out without "Bench" bleeding the master? I am not comfortable with doing something I have never done before on someone elses car.

Also, I made a typo. I start on the passenger rear, then drivers rear, passenger front and then the drivers front. Furthest from the master cylinder to closest. Is there a reason that you mention a different sequence?
Old 06-16-2011, 09:52 PM
mfquinn
Pro

I usually pump it to about 15+ lbs of pressure.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:36 PM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Is there a way to get the air out without "Bench" bleeding the master? I am not comfortable with doing something I have never done before on someone elses car.

Also, I made a typo. I start on the passenger rear, then drivers rear, passenger front and then the drivers front. Furthest from the master cylinder to closest. Is there a reason that you mention a different sequence?
I believe that you can "bench bleed" by just cracking the two lines coming out of the MC. Just use the line nut like a bleeder screw. No need to take it off the car.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Open up all the bleeders a tick and keep filling up the master. Gravity bleeding has always been good to me.

Good luck!

Randy
Old 06-16-2011, 11:13 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
Open up all the bleeders a tick and keep filling up the master. Gravity bleeding has always been good to me.
Gary @ HardbarUSA also does this. Four disposable pie pans under the calipers, barely crack the bleeders, keep filling the master, and hang out. I find it a bit messy as the fluid runs down the calipers, but it does seem to work. I still use the Motive power bleeder most of the time, though...
Old 06-17-2011, 12:06 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

gravity trick neat idea. how long to you do this for? overnight? an hour?
Old 06-17-2011, 01:13 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Gary @ HardbarUSA also does this. Four disposable pie pans under the calipers, barely crack the bleeders, keep filling the master, and hang out. I find it a bit messy as the fluid runs down the calipers, but it does seem to work. I still use the Motive power bleeder most of the time, though...
fish tank tubing from 4 bleed screws into 4 containers no mess. Let the tubes stay in the brake fluid at bottom of containers. Could take a few hours. You need to watch it doesn't go dry so wax the car while it is happening. Don't start drinking as you may then forget about it. You can always keep some old brake fluid to put tubes in so air never goes back up the tube no matter if you are doing one or 4 at once. Use open end flare nut wrench or crows foot to open after tubing is on the bleeder valve.

Last edited by John Shiels; 06-17-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:42 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
gravity trick neat idea. how long to you do this for? overnight? an hour?
10-15 minutes to get things rolling again. You should also do the
Pressure,
open,
closed,
pressure
open
closed
pressure
open
closed
pressure
open
closed

With a friend, or teach the wife
Old 06-17-2011, 01:02 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Randy,

I am a little confused. In one of your posts you mention to open up all four bleeder screws (just a crack) and let them drain together (I assume you need to keep the cap off the reservoir, correct?). I have seen other posts that say to just do one at a time.

In your last post you mention to do the Pressure,
open,
closed,
pressure

Are you referring to doing the manual bleeding with someone pressing the brake pedal while bleeding at each caliper? If you are, why not just hook up the motive bleeder again?

Or are you referring to something else?

Also, it seems a bit confusing at times as to whether folks are referring to the actual reservoir or the actual master cylinder in there comments. Is there a way to bleed the master cylinder while on the car (no removal and bench bleeding)?

Thanks for you help, and I love the SS caliper pistons I got from you.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:06 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

gravity bleed you can open all 4 at once. I am confused about what Randy is saying above.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:33 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Randy,

I am a little confused. In one of your posts you mention to open up all four bleeder screws (just a crack) and let them drain together (I assume you need to keep the cap off the reservoir, correct?). I have seen other posts that say to just do one at a time.

In your last post you mention to do the Pressure,
open,
closed,
pressure

Are you referring to doing the manual bleeding with someone pressing the brake pedal while bleeding at each caliper? If you are, why not just hook up the motive bleeder again?

Or are you referring to something else?

Also, it seems a bit confusing at times as to whether folks are referring to the actual reservoir or the actual master cylinder in there comments. Is there a way to bleed the master cylinder while on the car (no removal and bench bleeding)?

Thanks for you help, and I love the SS caliper pistons I got from you.
My English skills and time gets in the way with me helping sometimes.

Crack all the bleeders at one time. It will only help with getting the air pocket moving. KEEP THE RESERVOIR FULL and cap off.

I'm a huge fan of doing the bleeding brakes the old fashion way with help from someone.
Driver, says "pressure" (pushing on the pedal)
wrench says "open" (Opening the bleeder)
wrench says "closed" (Closing the bleeder)

Randy

Last edited by Randy@DRM; 06-17-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:26 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Okay, all 4 are cracked open. It's like watching grass grow (in FL). Good thing I have a few beers to keep me busy
Old 06-17-2011, 05:43 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay, all 4 are cracked open. It's like watching grass grow (in FL). Good thing I have a few beers to keep me busy

Get notified of new replies

To Brake help needed please. I am in a pickle

Old 06-18-2011, 07:26 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Well, after 1.5 hours of watching gravity work (the front drivers side is about the only one that fluid came from), I still have the same issue. I guess I have to try something else now.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:27 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Old 06-19-2011, 12:49 PM
mfquinn
Pro

Resolved

I put 32 oz of fluid in the Motiv and bleed until I pushed it all thru the lines. I can sleep easier tonight

Thanks all for the help

Quick Reply: Brake help needed please. I am in a pickle