Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"traction message" in comp mode ?????

Old 06-17-2011, 10:28 PM
*C7*
Melting Slicks

Received 388 Likes on 168 Posts
St. Jude Donor 05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default "traction message" in comp mode ?????

I was trying a few different tire combinations last week at the track and was surprised to get a "traction control" msg. while in comp mode.

2006 z06. At the time I was running the same tire and wheel front and rear.

Also with a different tire setup, 345 18s rear and 305 18s front the active handling was very very sensitive. It seemed to chime in for no reason and you could not feel it doing anything. The fronts were a stickier tire than the rears.

Has anyone seen the traction msg while in comp mode and will a non stock front to rear tire diameter difference mess with the active handling??
Old 06-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Blurr
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C6 Z06
I was trying a few different tire combinations last week at the track and was surprised to get a "traction control" msg. while in comp mode.

2006 z06. At the time I was running the same tire and wheel front and rear.

Also with a different tire setup, 345 18s rear and 305 18s front the active handling was very very sensitive. It seemed to chime in for no reason and you could not feel it doing anything. The fronts were a stickier tire than the rears.

Has anyone seen the traction msg while in comp mode and will a non stock front to rear tire diameter difference mess with the active handling??
I've run similar combination 345 rear and 315 front as well as 295's in front with 345 rears both combinations with 18" wheels.

In several instances while in HPDE 1 and 2 the AH has kicked in while in comp mode, I could feel the AH grab the brakes. Once I developed better driver skills AH became less intrusive, at which point I turn off the AH and traction control.

Your set up for Z's seems to be the standard the race crowd at least what I've seen in HPDE and TT
Old 06-18-2011, 05:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,910 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Active Handling is triggered by yaw rate errors generated from the steering sensor, lateral G sensor and yaw sensor. When triggered it is going to apply the brake at one of the four wheel locations. Since it is calibrated for stock tires and wheel sizes the amount of brake it applies could be too much or too little depending on which way you changed things. With R compound tires the control algorithm will probably release the brake quicker if it senses an over correction but the initial impact/feel might be harder than with the stock setup.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To "traction message" in comp mode ?????

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "traction message" in comp mode ?????