Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to spend $2500.00

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 07:09 PM
fennerhillpro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to spend $2500.00

I am an intermediate HPDE person and will have 11 track days under my belt by July 1st. I am planning on stopping at ECS on my way back from VIR next week. I have a 2007 C6 with F55 shocks and Z51 springs / Hotckins swaybars. I am running a hurricane intake, Dewitts Radiator with oil cooler and dual fans. I am also running DBA 4000 with racing pads and RE50 tires

Here are my options:

1. American Racing Headers and Tune with a 160 therom
2. Phadt coil overs and a tune
3. Something else????

Where would I get the best bang for the money
Old 06-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Everyone always wants to make their cars go faster and I'm all for that...but not until safety mods are performed first.

Your $2500 isn't enough to purchase a cage which is always my first suggestion and I'm guessing you want to keep your car street legal.

Have you considered looking into better brakes? You may not know how to use them yet, but they will make you faster once you learn more advanced car control techniques. I think it's also silly to make a car accelerate faster or corner harder without a better way to stop it.

Of the two choices you listed, I'd scratch the headers unless you're looking for sound. Skip the tune and preserve your engine longevity.

If you're adamant about not doing brakes first, suspension is the first step and coil overs or even a good re-valved shock setup would be good, again, skip the tune.

HP should be the last mod on your list.

Mike
Old 06-18-2011, 07:40 PM
fennerhillpro
Racer

So what type of brakes or suspension. I know my factory wheels won't fit certain brakes.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:52 PM
apexman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say a harness, harness bar and a seat. Both my C6 and C5 seats were not so great for keeping my butt planted. Easier to me to concentrate on your driving rather than hanging on to the wheel and sliding in your seat.

Good luck with your car. Have fun and be safe!
Old 06-18-2011, 07:55 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by apexman
I would say a harness, harness bar and a seat. Both my C6 and C5 seats were not so great for keeping my butt planted. Easier to me to concentrate on your driving rather than hanging on to the wheel and sliding in your seat.

Seats and harness.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:09 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I just added a Cobra Suzuka seet and a Scroth 6 point harnes and I was amazed at how much better it holds you in place...and how much better you can feel what the car is doing. Definately a big safety and performance improvement. Now I don't have bruses on the outside of my legs anymore from trying to hold myself in place

I don't have any good pictures of the seat...but here is a shot of Mick Fleetwood strapping into my car (keep in mind that he is 6'6"). You can see how racing seats give a lot more shoulder support....they also hold you hips and lege in place a lot better.

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 06-18-2011 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:18 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I would definitely buy the LG GT2 coilovers before the Pfadts. I have driven on both, and the GT2's handle much better. I'm running the GT2's with Hotchkiss sways, and the car is AWESOME. Also, the Pfadt camber kit is worth a look-see. It allows you to run big camber on the track and quickly switch back to factory alignment afterward to save your street tires.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:19 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

No brainer there. Having a feel for the car is important.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:26 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

If you go with a race seat and harness, definitely add head/neck restraint system as well
Old 06-18-2011, 08:37 PM
sebdavid
Pro

I certainly wouldn't put in a seat and harness if there is not roll protection.
Old 06-18-2011, 08:52 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt

I just added a Cobra Suzuka seet and a Scroth 6 point harnes and I was amazed at how much better it holds you in place...and how much better you can feel what the car is doing. Definately a big safety and performance improvement. Now I don't have bruses on the outside of my legs anymore from trying to hold myself in place

I don't have any good pictures of the seat...but here is a shot of Mick Fleetwood strapping into my car (keep in mind that he is 6'6"). You can see how racing seats give a lot more shoulder support....they also hold you hips and lege in place a lot better.

I'm only 26 but IMO that's so cool!
Old 06-18-2011, 10:53 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fennerhillpro
I am an intermediate HPDE person and will have 11 track days under my belt by July 1st. I am planning on stopping at ECS on my way back from VIR next week. I have a 2007 C6 with F55 shocks and Z51 springs / Hotckins swaybars. I am running a hurricane intake, Dewitts Radiator with oil cooler and dual fans. I am also running DBA 4000 with racing pads and RE50 tires

Here are my options:

3. Something else????

you want to win? buy a set of Michelin X radials racing slicks
Old 06-19-2011, 12:38 AM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by fennerhillpro

Here are my options:

3. Something else????

Maybe something else... this could mean you might want to consider safety options?
If you are handy with wrenches, maybe a roll bar ($1000), race seat ($800)and harness ($250). Someday you could change out to the coil overs, but don't underestimate your ferrilitic magnetic shocks. These are what are used on today's Z06 and of course the ZR1. I have these on my '08 and am currently happy. Plus a friend of mine who has your same car has been an instructor w/ Track masters out here in California for a few years. Last year he told me about a corvette day at Thunderhill where Chevrolet had brought out their cars to the track. This included a ZR1. After the day was over, he took the Chevy factory driver of the ZR1 out as a passenger in his '07 w/ F55. The factory driver couldn't believe what my friend could do w/ his car. He was fam with the course, but surprised the heck out of the factory guy. He said that his people back at Bowling Green have no idea how well their standard cars can perform.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:39 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Wow! Surprised no one recommended a advanced driving school and more seat time. Also, from what has been going around about the LS3, which you may have an LS2, not sure, you may want to invest in a dry sump and high volume pump.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:01 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah - buy a $250 harbor freight trailer, 18" wagons, and take advantage of the plentiful supply of Grand Am Contis. Spend the rest on consummables/hotel.

Seat and harness are a must though. Stock seats are a hazard. Get a head and neck restraint too.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:43 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

trans Cooler, Diff Cooler, Brake ducts, brake pads

tires and nothing but seat time, and more seat time
Old 06-19-2011, 08:55 AM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
Everyone always wants to make their cars go faster and I'm all for that...but not until safety mods are performed first.

HP should be the last mod on your list.
Safety, cooling, suspension. Your brake set up should work fine assuming you also have upgraded your fluid and lines. Plenty of us still running on stock calipers.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to spend $2500.00

Old 06-20-2011, 04:42 AM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

My vote goes to seating. I would've been much faster long ago if I didn't have to spend so much energy keeping myself centered in the crappy stock seats. My knees would be happier too (cheese crater speaker grill).
Old 06-20-2011, 07:50 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My vote is for the coilovers. For the seat, you can cinch the stock one plus I added knee pads which keeps my leg from moving a lot against the door (cheese grater). Plus you can put some shelf stuff on the seat to create more friction under your rear end.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
For the seat, you can cinch the stock one plus I added knee pads which keeps my leg from moving a lot against the door (cheese grater). Plus you can put some shelf stuff on the seat to create more friction under your rear end.
You can do this....but, A good race seat does so much more. IT holds youR waist, hips,legs and shoulders in place, and with the reduced padding you can feel what the car is doing much better. On top of all of that it is safer. You would be amazed how much of a difference a race seat makes.

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 06-20-2011 at 10:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Where to spend $2500.00