Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-Force when braking??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:29 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Default G-Force when braking??

With Hoosiers 315 A6's what kind of g-force do we pull when braking??

thanks,

Steve A.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:51 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
With Hoosiers 315 A6's what kind of g-force do we pull when braking??

thanks,

Steve A.
For me it is interesting. My data says my peaks are around 1.5 when braking on A6s. What is more interesting is that I get higher peaks when cornering, as high as 1.7 and 1.8 gravity.

I always presumed the braking Gs would be higher, but they are not. Maybe I don't know how to stop?

Fastest regards,

Oli
Old 06-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

There are some pretty wicked g-forces to be felt while braking uphill at Mosport International! It's the only track (or part of the track) where I feel like my face is starting to peel off momentarily! Speeds go from (approximately) ~100 mph down to ~50 mph in a pretty short stretch, from a downhill left, into an uphill right. I think that the sudden uphill adds significantly to the already high braking g-forces. Sorry, I have no actual "data" to back that up .
Old 06-19-2011, 11:20 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Old 06-20-2011, 08:08 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
For me it is interesting. My data says my peaks are around 1.5 when braking on A6s. What is more interesting is that I get higher peaks when cornering, as high as 1.7 and 1.8 gravity.

I always presumed the braking Gs would be higher, but they are not. Maybe I don't know how to stop?

Fastest regards,

Oli
Oli

Your a go fast guy. Braking only slows you down.

Most ppl OVER brake going into corners. This take skill and seat time to know when and how much brake to use.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:30 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you need a front/rear "swaybar" to keep more weight on the rear wheels during braking rather than standing it on the nose... ;-) Really, though, it's a weight distribution thing for braking versus cornering, plus cornering can end up taking longer than braking [at full force]...

If you watch the F1 races they pull more lateral than longitudinal, too.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:57 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Fastest regards,

Oli
people who post videos with data aquisition show braking G in the 1.5 range with cornering peaking somewhat higher at 1.7+>
Old 06-20-2011, 05:36 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most I've ever seen was 1.9 at turn 10A at Road Atlanta. Cornering G's are almost always higher, in my case up to 2.3. I drove an F3 car at Infineon like a year ago, it was 2.2 under braking and up to 3.5 in the corners, my neck was sore for a week.

Get notified of new replies

To G-Force when braking??

Quick Reply: G-Force when braking??