Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video; Mosler at Road America for GT Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Video; Mosler at Road America for GT Track Days

Here is some in-car vid from Road America at the recent GT Track Days event.

I want to thank Mike (Short Throw) for putting this together from my raw video - thanks once again for your help Bud!

I am a novice and was running in the C group so try not to be too harsh... It's not until about the 5 minute mark that I could open it up a bit and have some fun (C group has specific areas for passing and it requires a point by).

Last edited by Everett Ogilvie; 06-22-2011 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:09 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice car as I have said before!

You look tense driving (holding the wheel) maybe because you were never there before. Relax Nice drive! Thumbs out of the wheel is better but I don't do it all the time either.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:15 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Old 06-22-2011, 12:16 PM
GT Racing Tires
Supporting Vendor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks for posting! It was great to have you there. Make your plans for next year right around the same time.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:34 PM
LancePearson
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the "screetching" before each turn your brakes making a sound? Is that normal if so? Good driving, by the way. I have a 76 and envy you guys power in the newer Vettes. Mine is a slightly modified L48 small block with about 170 hp less than a stock C6! however, it still loves to corner and is still fun. Loved watching your drive. I used deerskin gloves when driving on VIR for my once in a lifetime experience.

Lance
Old 06-22-2011, 12:59 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LancePearson
Is the "screetching" before each turn your brakes making a sound? Is that normal if so?
Yes that is the brakes.
If I remember right he's running CL RC6 pads.

Everett, you need MORE heat in those brakes and the screeching will go away. Braking waaaayyyy too early I realize you were taking it easy. Maybe look at a little less aggressive pad until you get comfortable pushing the car more. Running with the pads that cold will start to kill rotors much quicker than needed.
Try the RC5. Just my two cents. Check with Jeff to see what he says after watching the video.

NICE CAR!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:04 PM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

lookin good.
wayne
Old 06-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by geerookie
Yes that is the brakes.
If I remember right he's running CL RC6 pads.

Everett, you need MORE heat in those brakes and the screeching will go away. Braking waaaayyyy too early I realize you were taking it easy. Maybe look at a little less aggressive pad until you get comfortable pushing the car more. Running with the pads that cold will start to kill rotors much quicker than needed.
Try the RC5. Just my two cents. Check with Jeff to see what he says after watching the video.

NICE CAR!
I probably did not get them hot enough in that particular session, waiting for point-bys, but I got them plenty hot throughout the weekend and I never found a reduction of the squealing even when we could smell the brakes. After using the RC6 I won't go with the RC5 - my car does not have power brakes and you have to stand on the pedal pretty significantly (compared to a Corvette). Because of the manual brakes I really like the high bite of the 6, and the brake system actually has pretty good feel for threshold braking (just none exhibited in this vid!).
Old 06-22-2011, 01:28 PM
geerookie
Drifting

I forgot about manual brakes.......
Have you tried the 2500, 50mm Ferodo's? They are supposed to be just as good as the RC6, quieter but they stink like @#$% the first time you get them really hot but once the resin sets they don't smell as bad

I'm running Cobalt XR2's and I'm switching to the RC6E. My XR2's are really noisy until about the second lap of the race then they quiet down.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

I forgot about manual brakes.......
Have you tried the 2500, 50mm Ferodo's?
Not yet, but I have been talking to Gary about them - definitely would like to give them a try!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:35 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
Not yet, but I have been talking to Gary about them - definitely would like to give them a try!
I'm leaning that way...it's either those or the RC6E's.
I just hate the smell of Ferodo pads, I don't understand why they have to smell so bad.
I think the screeching would drive me crazy during a race. Too me it is the same as fingernails on a chalkboard. I believe Jeff when he says the RC6's work great but if the Ferodo's are as good and don't screech I will live with the smell.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:10 PM
HPTuners
Supporting Vendor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Everett, good to see you taking it easy as you learn.

That car is a very hard car to learn how to road race in because it is so fast. Pushing it to the limit where car control really comes into play is difficult at the speeds that car needs to go to get there.

I've been road racing for 3 years now and have learned on my Viper. It certainly was no easy task and I still have so much more to learn.

My suggestion to you is take an instructor out with you as much as possible. There are so many things you can pick up at any point in your "racing career".

Hope to see you out there again!
Old 06-22-2011, 04:48 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Regarding the pads. I've used RC6, RC6E, RC8 and Ferrodo DS1.11.

I found that the CL RC pads are loud, especially the RC8. I could never get enough heat in them. I personally liked the RC6 better than the RC6E. Didn't find the 6E to last any longer which is their claim. Both RC6 compounds are nice to use though.

I'm currently using the DS1.11 in the same AP calipers Everett has. (DS1.11 front, 2500 rear). They are quieter than the RC pads. They do not have as much initial bite, which at first I didn't like. But they are very easy to modulate, so once I got use to them...I really like them. I've been using the standard size and they have held up very well. I have a set of the 50mm waiting to use and I expect them to last even longer.

Sorry for going off topic. Awesome car Everett, sounds great.

Last edited by argonaut; 06-22-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners
My suggestion to you is take an instructor out with you as much as possible. There are so many things you can pick up at any point in your "racing career".

Hope to see you out there again!
Thanks Keith - I agree 100%. I went out with Mike for the time he could stay at the event, and on the last day I went out with Rich - both were excellent, and they both made me feel much more comfortable in the car. The session in the vid I was out alone and my strategy for now is if I am alone I take it easy. Hope I can make it out again to see all you guys.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Everett, you need MORE heat in those brakes and the screeching will go away.
I drove the Mosler the first session out with Everett and got into the bakes pretty hard. I also drove he car at Autobahn just before this event and did some serious threshold braking. The squeaking is prevalent even when the brakes are hot.

The squeaking actually came in handy as it helped Everett comprehend the trail-braking lengths we were working on. Most beginners/intermediates jump off the brake pedal way before the apex unloading the front suspension wondering why the car wouldn't turn.

NICE CAR!
Yup, it's like a street legal DP car.

That car is a very hard car to learn how to road race in because it is so fast.
It's not so much the power, but the front/rear balance it has being a mid/rear engine car. When you trail brake this car the rear end swinging around is much more progressive than a Corvette/Viper. It can become violent in a hurry as it picks up momentum (similar to a Porsche GT2).

My suggestion to you is take an instructor out with you as much as possible.

As Everett mentioned, the intention was for me to ride with him every session this event. My C6.R puked a $10 part and a 6 hour labor job so I was done early. The timely return of my car to the shop was necessary to get it repaired before the crew themselves went racing so I had to leave prematurely.

When I first watched this video I has both disappointed and happy.

The disappointment came from knowing that Everett drove his car much harder and faster (all while being in control) while I was instructing him.

The happiness came from seeing that as promised (we talked about his level of aggressiveness once I left --and believe me it was hard to do) he drove the car simply to enjoy the track with zero ego.

I remember Everett coming out to the first Katech Track Attack as truly a track virgin despite owning many cool high powered cars. He has demonstrated a level of patience for learning that everyone could benefit from. Nothing at all to prove and errors on the side of safety every time. He wont win many races, but then again he already has the trophy bringing it home every night!

Mike
Old 06-23-2011, 04:06 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Great video, I love Road America, such a fun track. Wish they had more events there.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:11 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

great video man looks like the camera took some good shots, did you get a chace to mess with the gps stuff on there yet???

Get notified of new replies

To Video; Mosler at Road America for GT Track Days

Old 06-23-2011, 10:52 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Cool video!! It's nice seeing the cars being used for what we designed it to do, and not just sit in the garage and weekend drives to Cars and Coffee.

Old 06-24-2011, 08:15 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TLGunman
Cool video!! It's nice seeing the cars being used for what we designed it to do, and not just sit in the garage and weekend drives to Cars and Coffee.

You left off waxing Dave!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:23 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Nd4spd2
Great video, I love Road America, such a fun track. Wish they had more events there.
MidWest F-Body

Audi Club

Porsche clubs

NASA every so often

Quick Reply: Video; Mosler at Road America for GT Track Days