Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on brake pad thickness for upcoming VIR event

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 01:59 PM
jsottile
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Question on brake pad thickness for upcoming VIR event

Hello everyone,
I will be running in the yellow group at the upcoming VIR event and I am running on a set of Toyo R888 tires. I have Carbotech XP10 and XP8 brake pads. I have approximately 1/4'' of brake pad left in the front, do you think that will get me through the 2 day event at VIR? I have a new set of pads but would prefer to use the existing ones; however, I don't feel like changing them at the track either. Looking for input.

Thanks
Old 06-22-2011, 02:14 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by jsottile
Hello everyone,
I will be running in the yellow group at the upcoming VIR event and I am running on a set of Toyo R888 tires. I have Carbotech XP10 and XP8 brake pads. I have approximately 1/4'' of brake pad left in the front, do you think that will get me through the 2 day event at VIR? I have a new set of pads but would prefer to use the existing ones; however, I don't feel like changing them at the track either. Looking for input.

Thanks
I just ordered a set of XP8 fronts for mine as a backup. I couldn't remember how thick they were to start so I asked - Mike told me they start out around .600" (approx 5/8") including the backer. The backer is about 1/4" thick, maybe more like 3/16" so you're around half pad life. Asking if it will last depends a lot on how you use 'em so make your best guess based on your experience. That's about what I have left and I think they'll make it but I'm bringing spares and will check 'em as I go.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:17 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello everyone,

Thanks
No unless you are coasting around.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:25 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by John Shiels
No unless you are coasting around.
You have 2 very hard braking zones. 1/4 of a pad will not last 2 days
Don't even try it.
JMHO that is
Old 06-22-2011, 02:28 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Ken From KNS Brakes is an Event Sponsor and will be at the event
Old 06-22-2011, 02:34 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Never been to VIR-but no way they will last two track days at any other track I have been too...
Old 06-22-2011, 02:36 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I've seen a car totaled in T1 at Rd Atl that was trying to get "1 more run" out of a set of pads.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:45 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

I will certainly bow to those with greater experience and I will ALWAYS agree with erring on the side of caution, but I just wonder if the level of experience and therefore speed is being considered. At the red/black group level of speed I agree wholeheartedly, no way they make it. At yellow? I ran yellow last year and my wife shared the car and ran green. We had a brand new set of XP8's on the car and didn't even come close to half wear. We're both much faster now and so I will be bringing extra pads and will change the moment they're looking like they need it, but I don't see the point in pulling out pads that are about 1/2 their starting thickness yet. Unless you absolutely don't want to deal with changing at the track of course. These aren't 20mm race pads.

Asking to get perspective, not arguing!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:04 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheKomoman
........ I don't see the point in pulling out pads that are about 1/2 their starting thickness yet. Unless you absolutely don't want to deal with changing at the track of course. These aren't 20mm race pads.

They don't have to be 20mm race pads. The thickness of material is what helps determine heat/thermal capacity. If I'm running at VIR, I don't care if you are Intermediate or Advanced, I want the best braking I can have. Stock Corvette brakes don't have the greatest thermal capacity to begin with so I would put in the new pads and use up the "barely good enough" ones at some other track event
It makes no sense to pile up a car trying to save $300...use them at a track where the cost of brake fade isn't so significant.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:17 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Normally when pads get to 50% thickness I replace them.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:17 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What brakes ... all they do is slow you down anyway!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:22 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by geerookie
They don't have to be 20mm race pads. The thickness of material is what helps determine heat/thermal capacity. If I'm running at VIR, I don't care if you are Intermediate or Advanced, I want the best braking I can have. Stock Corvette brakes don't have the greatest thermal capacity to begin with so I would put in the new pads and use up the "barely good enough" ones at some other track event
It makes no sense to pile up a car trying to save $300...use them at a track where the cost of brake fade isn't so significant.
Hmm, that's darned good reasoning there, I didn't take into account the difference in the heat dispersion as they get thinner. So does logic follow that as they get thinner they wear faster due to excess heat?

I mentioned the 20mm race pad only for a % of pad thickness reference, which is what I was using for my logic of "life left." I do also use the 1 piece pads in my C6Z06 stock brakes, not the padlet. That is supposed to help with heat dispersion as well from what I was told.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:51 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't use Carbotechs but I did run VIR last year in yellow and the previous year in blue. VIR is also not nearly that hard on brakes as are other tracks. That said, I think you can get through if you really have 1/4" min (taper included...the mininimum). It'd be wise though to have some sort of back up pads available--maybe another set in similar condition. Certainly you'll want to check after day1.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:54 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I will certainly bow to those with greater experience and I will ALWAYS agree with erring on the side of caution, but I just wonder if the level of experience and therefore speed is being considered. At the red/black group level of speed I agree wholeheartedly, no way they make it. At yellow? I ran yellow last year and my wife shared the car and ran green. We had a brand new set of XP8's on the car and didn't even come close to half wear. We're both much faster now and so I will be bringing extra pads and will change the moment they're looking like they need it, but I don't see the point in pulling out pads that are about 1/2 their starting thickness yet. Unless you absolutely don't want to deal with changing at the track of course. These aren't 20mm race pads.

As stated, go ahead and run them for day 1 and then pull them and check for day 2. Most will not run them below 1/8".
Old 06-22-2011, 04:02 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
As stated, go ahead and run them for day 1 and then pull them and check for day 2. Most will not run them below 1/8".
Thanks and another round of thanks to everyone else who answered. This place is a great resource because even if you embarrass yourself with a display of ignorance you can learn something!
Old 06-22-2011, 04:02 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Hmm, that's darned good reasoning there, I didn't take into account the difference in the heat dispersion as they get thinner. So does logic follow that as they get thinner they wear faster due to excess heat?
You got it!
If you get 3 days for the first 50% at a track you may only get 1 day for the last 50% at the same track.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:30 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Hello everyone,

Thanks
Have you looked at your rear pads???
Change the fronts before you come because you don't want to change at the track. Throw the old pads in the "crap I ran out of pad" box.

If you want to run them and change pads at the track, they may or may not last a day.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on brake pad thickness for upcoming VIR event

Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 PM
VTME13
Instructor

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I don't use Carbotechs but I did run VIR last year in yellow and the previous year in blue. VIR is also not nearly that hard on brakes as are other tracks. That said, I think you can get through if you really have 1/4" min (taper included...the mininimum). It'd be wise though to have some sort of back up pads available--maybe another set in similar condition. Certainly you'll want to check after day1.
Hey Andy! - this is Steve (TR Z06 from TrackDaze @ VIR a few weekends ago).

Bottom line is this: If you don't want to work on it (to change pads) during the weekend, swap out new pads and use the ones you have now as back up spares.

I ran a set of 10/8's that started at *just* a hair more pad than 1/4" in the front. The pads made it through 7 of 8, 30 min sessions at VIR - we missed the last session due to a bad off in another group.

One could say that I may have been coasting; I did lay back on the straights to keep oil/tranny temps down - hit 290ish oil temps in a few laps easy.

The other thing was I checked wear (pulled pad out and inspected) after almost EVERY session. Andy can attest to the fact that my car was in the air more than anyone else we were with that weekend. I'm also running cooling ducts and Titanium heat shields, which if you aren't you may want to think about.

I would say it also depends on the event format. If the event is 8/30min sessions, you won't make it. If it is 6/25min sessions, may be a different story, but you'll still have to pull a wheel off and check them.

Last edited by VTME13; 06-22-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:17 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

If you have to question....then buy more pads
Old 06-22-2011, 08:01 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Slightly different perspective here...............Swap the rears to the front. Then use the current fronts for the rear brakes. Take your new pads along for use after the 1st day......if necessary.

Quick Reply: Question on brake pad thickness for upcoming VIR event