Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ST-2 Nationals....

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 10:40 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default ST-2 Nationals....

WOW!

I just looked a the entry list and it has a bunch of fabulous drivers on it.

A few more are going but not signed up, yet!

It should be a hell of a series of races.

Hopefully, the cars will stay together for all the practices and qualifying and all line up for the final race.

I can't wait to see it. I'll be driving up probably for whole weekend, but for sure the Sunday(final) race!

Good luck, guys!

PTA, too! Just not as many racers signed up, yet!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:52 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
PTA, too! Just not as many racers signed up, yet!
Trying to get scott to run ST2

TTA has 12 I think, and IMHO you're going to have to throw everything including the kitchen sink at it.

I'm trying to decide to do PTA and do TTA on the side, or do TTA and do PTA on the side

C5 mafia has rented half the paddock spaces in 1 big chunk together

Last edited by drivinhard; 06-23-2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by drivinhard
Trying to get scott to run ST2

TTA has 12 I think, and IMHO you're going to have to throw everything including the kitchen sink at it.

I'm trying to decide to do PTA and do TTA on the side, or do TTA and do PTA on the side

C5 mafia has rented half the paddock spaces in 1 big chunk together
You're right about the kitchen sink!

I noticed Bodel's Mustang is signed up, I'd expect someone like Skeen to drive it. He's driven it before.

DeSalvo and Martin are signed up in their Bosses.

The Subie guy from Va is signed up. Wally and James haven't appeared yet, but expect them. Ken S. is on the list. Gordon from Kali hasn't signed yet, but expect him.

A lot of other fast guys, who I didn't mean to leave out, are on the list, but I'm not familiar with them.

It's a notable list! Bring lots and lots of $$$$! New tires for every qualifying race!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:13 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Why aren't you gonna run Jody? You need to.

I'm planning on going and running ST2... but I will just be one of the backmarkers out there and staying out of everyone's way. It should be fun anyways so I'm looking forward to it.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:16 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Falcon
It's a notable list! Bring lots and lots of $$$$! New tires for every qualifying race!
sperkins is bringing a tractor trailer full of tires, hopefully he will share with us
Old 06-23-2011, 11:21 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goldeneagle_10

I'm planning on going and running ST2... but I will just be one of the backmarkers out there and staying out of everyone's way. It should be fun anyways so I'm looking forward to it.
I'll be hanging back to keep you company. This will be my first time racing at nationals
Old 06-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

I did it for a couple of years, and ran out of money, and talent. When guys showed up with professional pit crews, I surrendered.

If any of you guys need any help (other than sponsorship), I'll be there for you!
Old 06-23-2011, 11:26 AM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
I'll be hanging back to keep you company. This will be my first time racing at nationals
My first time too... and I've never even been to Mid-Ohio yet.

I'm going to run the GL Mid-Ohio event in August and get a feel for the track. Probably gonna be a ton of ST2 cars at that one warming up for the Nationals the next month.
Old 06-23-2011, 11:29 AM
geerookie
Drifting

My first time too... and I've never even been to Mid-Ohio yet.

I'm going to run the GL Mid-Ohio event in August and get a feel for the track. Probably gonna be a ton of ST2 cars at that one warming up for the Nationals the next month.
I'll be at that one also. It will be my first time actually on the track. I have been there many times watching and crewing over the last 30+ years but never driven the track.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:05 PM
ZoomFreakinZoom
Instructor

I wanted to go until I realized it was the same weekend that we're at Road America for Grand-Am. Oh well there's always next year. I'm there in spirit have fun boys.
Old 06-23-2011, 12:17 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been on the TT list for a while now, but I gotta get off my butt and register to race.
No way I can afford to jump into ST2 and be remotely competitive so I'll head to PTA if possible.

Also, advanced copies of my new book will be available at my booth in the middle paddock.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:23 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by sperkins
I've been on the TT list for a while now, but I gotta get off my butt and register to race.
No way I can afford to jump into ST2 and be remotely competitive so I'll head to PTA if possible.

Also, advanced copies of my new book will be available at my booth in the middle paddock.

NYT Bestseller, you'll make millions. I know I'll read it. You're wife needs a companion guide to "How to work and support your husband's crack habit"
Old 06-23-2011, 12:28 PM
Brent Dalton
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins

Old 06-23-2011, 12:30 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Where in the paddock are you guys signed up?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,725 Likes on 932 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

If anyone needs help let me know. I plan on being there to watch Saturday and Sunday, possibly friday if I can get out of work. Im good and swapping wheels/tires and brakes. I can also record tires temps and pressures.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:45 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The CSI Crew will be in 17, 18, and 19 B&C.

Can't wait and I guess I'd better register soon!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:45 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Is mid-paddock more desirable than the upper?

Get notified of new replies

To ST-2 Nationals....

Old 06-23-2011, 03:06 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kubs
If anyone needs help let me know. I plan on being there to watch Saturday and Sunday, possibly friday if I can get out of work. Im good and swapping wheels/tires and brakes. I can also record tires temps and pressures.
I always need help. Stop by the black TTB C5 if you want to get dirty.

Any chance you'll be there for the August event as well?
Old 06-23-2011, 03:20 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

ST-2 sounds awesome.

I hear things from guys like this from another forum: Where item 6 applies most to us racers with other guys on that forum supporting that statement.
<<I recommend against the NASA HPDE ladder for you, for the following reasons:

1. Track time is very limited. Your whole day is four 20-minute sessions. You get a lot more track time than that with SV, XSpeed, OTR and other local HPDE groups. SV lets you run extra sessions in the afternoon as traffic permits (which it usually does). If you asked NASA SoCal to let you run extra sessions, they'd look at you like you are a Martian.

2. Long downloads after every session. Expect to spend about 1/2 hour after every run session (except the last, but they make up for it with the morning driver's meeting).

3. Tech inspection in the early morning at every event. Get in the long line in the morning when you would rather be prepping your car, and have it inspected. Your car is in better condition than 99.999% of the other cars, so this is a waste of time.

4. Spinning or going off track is considered a capital offense. Expect to be berated, and you might even lose track time.

5. They treat you like a child. I like Mike Peters (HPDE 3 Leader) as a racer, but when you get in his huge group download meetings, he really treats everyone like a child. I haven't been to the HPDE 1 and 2 meetings, but I'm sure it's worse. I'm not even sure transponders are allowed in HPDE 3 (for sure not allowed in HPDE 1 and 2). Greg Greenbaum who runs HPDE 4 and TT is better, because by that time they start to trust the drivers--a little bit.

6. The double standard -- HPDE/TT drivers are expected never to spin, but NASA SoCal racers get away with eggregious behavior, including car contact during races.

7. NASA NorCal is worse. The guy in charge, Jerry Kunzman, is one of the biggest *******s on the planet. Also, the tracks are very crowded at NASA NorCal events. I once went out in an HPDE group at Infineon that had 62 (!!!) cars on track at the same time.>>

So where is the truth? I'm interested in hearing what ST-2 has to offer coming from T1.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:43 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
ST-2 sounds awesome.

I hear things from guys like this from another forum: Where item 6 applies most to us racers with other guys on that forum supporting that statement.
<<I recommend against the NASA HPDE ladder for you, for the following reasons:

1. Track time is very limited. Your whole day is four 20-minute sessions. You get a lot more track time than that with SV, XSpeed, OTR and other local HPDE groups. SV lets you run extra sessions in the afternoon as traffic permits (which it usually does). If you asked NASA SoCal to let you run extra sessions, they'd look at you like you are a Martian.

2. Long downloads after every session. Expect to spend about 1/2 hour after every run session (except the last, but they make up for it with the morning driver's meeting).

3. Tech inspection in the early morning at every event. Get in the long line in the morning when you would rather be prepping your car, and have it inspected. Your car is in better condition than 99.999% of the other cars, so this is a waste of time.

4. Spinning or going off track is considered a capital offense. Expect to be berated, and you might even lose track time.

5. They treat you like a child. I like Mike Peters (HPDE 3 Leader) as a racer, but when you get in his huge group download meetings, he really treats everyone like a child. I haven't been to the HPDE 1 and 2 meetings, but I'm sure it's worse. I'm not even sure transponders are allowed in HPDE 3 (for sure not allowed in HPDE 1 and 2). Greg Greenbaum who runs HPDE 4 and TT is better, because by that time they start to trust the drivers--a little bit.

6. The double standard -- HPDE/TT drivers are expected never to spin, but NASA SoCal racers get away with eggregious behavior, including car contact during races.

7. NASA NorCal is worse. The guy in charge, Jerry Kunzman, is one of the biggest *******s on the planet. Also, the tracks are very crowded at NASA NorCal events. I once went out in an HPDE group at Infineon that had 62 (!!!) cars on track at the same time.>>

So where is the truth? I'm interested in hearing what ST-2 has to offer coming from T1.
Hmmm...let me respond to the issues randomly.

I come from this as a ST-2 racer, not a DE'er. It's been too long since I did a NASA DE for me to give you any useful info on that.

Racers have one annual tech, and with that you get a tech sticker to place on the car. You don't need anymore techs for the rest of the year. You can cross regions and that tech sticker is honored.

No download meeting for racers. After the race, it's beer and BS time.

Racers have pre-race meeting each day (Sat & Sunday)(maybe 1/2 hour) with the race director and class director. That's it.

If metal/plastic to metal/plastic contact occurs during the race, the parties will be called to the principal's office for a meeting to sort out what happened and to fill out contact reports.

From that meeting can come penalties/sanctions. They can assign points to the bad behavior and if enough points are accumulated during the year, suspension can occur.

I hope that helps.

Quick Reply: ST-2 Nationals....