Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did my first HPDE yesterday. DAYUM!

Old 06-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Did my first HPDE yesterday. DAYUM!

I signed up with the Porsche Club. Venue was Portland International Raceway. In-car instructor mandatory, which I appreciated. FYI, my car is an '03 A4 2800 Stall (no cooler), H/C, and all the bolt-ons. Instructor drove it slow for two laps to show me the line... then it was my turn.

First two sessions were serious information overload. Car performed beautifully. Highest trans temp I saw was after the third session was 235.

I had a tremendous time and a great instructor. I'm still all Definitely "bucket list. chit.

Ironically, it's significantly harder than Gran Turisimo.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:24 PM
OCCOMSRAZOR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluefire
I signed up with the Porsche Club. Venue was Portland International Raceway. In-car instructor mandatory, which I appreciated. FYI, my car is an '03 A4 2800 Stall (no cooler), H/C, and all the bolt-ons. Instructor drove it slow for two laps to show me the line... then it was my turn.

First two sessions were serious information overload. Car performed beautifully. Highest trans temp I saw was after the third session was 235.

I had a tremendous time and a great instructor. I'm still all Definitely "bucket list. chit.

It's like your first hit of crack. Instant addiction. (But more expensive)

Old 06-24-2011, 02:24 PM
The Spark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 06-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by OCCOMSRAZOR
It's like your first hit of crack. Instant addiction. (But more expensive)

Too true.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Like theman said, just like a drug, can't wait for the next one...
Old 06-24-2011, 04:46 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Welcome to the addiction!! Focus on seat time w/organization that provide good instructors, go slow on the car mods. See the sticky in this forum and good luck and enjoy!!
Old 06-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PaConehead
Welcome to the addiction!! Focus on seat time w/organization that provide good instructors, go slow on the car mods. See the sticky in this forum and good luck and enjoy!!
Thanks

oops, too late on the mods. In the first session the instructors would drive your cars (not real fast) to show you the line. The first time he "got on it" he said it was too much car for a novice. He referred to it as a fast responding beast. He said novices would be better off learning with a Miata. Great traction and control but, no power.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:24 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks

oops, too late on the mods. In the first session the instructors would drive your cars (not real fast) to show you the line. The first time he "got on it" he said it was too much car for a novice. He referred to it as a fast responding beast. He said novices would be better off learning with a Miata. Great traction and control but, no power.
Screw Miata's. Get some seat time and before long you will be throttle stearing that beast into submission!
Old 06-24-2011, 11:41 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PaConehead
Did my 1st event last September and now have 4 under my belt with 2 more planned for this year and at least 6 for next year. The mods I've done are geared to improve car and powertrain longevity, plenty of power in our machines courtesy of GM.

A weekend at the track is like a carrot at the end of a stick. No matter how much BS life throws at you, I look forward to that next event. Pretty much living the dream for me! Wouldn't trade it for anything. Enjoy, take your time learning the car's and your limits.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:49 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

There will be another HPDE event at PIR on August 1st (Monday). This one takes the place of the Rose City Corvettes event. Same people same fun.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
marque cars usa final.pdf (897.2 KB, 743 views)
Old 06-26-2011, 11:11 AM
conecrusher
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a gas, isn't it???
If you wanna get good, check your ego at the door, and listen to the instructors.
I have driven both my Corvette and a friend's Miata during HPDE.

The Miata is a "textbook" car in every sense of the word. It ain't fast, but it will teach you more about the limits of adhesion and how to properly carry momentum in a very direct and safe way. Finding the limit of adhesion in your Corvette can be a heart-thumping event!

The Miata is also a car that is very easy to rotate through turns. Very easy to learn on a Miata.... not so in a Corvette at twice the speed.

I'm sure everyone here has a different opinion, but I think you learn more by learning how to drive a slow car fast, before you get into the fast car. It helped me.

I am by no means an expert, but this works for me.
All I can say is it takes some nerve to hold WOT deep into the braking zone for turns 1, 5, and 12 at Road America in a Corvette, and practicing on something a little more forgiving really helped.

Needless to say, you can read a short novel in a Miata between Turn 14 and turn 1 at RA.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:25 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,387 Likes on 742 Posts

FYI, my car is an '03 A4 2800 Stall (no cooler), H/C, and all the bolt-ons.
Get a mongo cooler on that tranny; when you pick up the pace your temps will head for the moon without one.

Congrats on the latest obsession!

Have a good one,
Mike
Old 06-26-2011, 08:58 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Might as well bookmark this section - you will be here a lot. Oh yeah, empty your wallet while you are at it. Welcome to the addiction. I feel for all the waxers in the General section who never will get to know how awesome their vettes really are.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:54 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Corvee
Screw Miata's. Get some seat time and before long you will be throttle stearing that beast into submission!
I don't think my car is too much for me to learn in.

Originally Posted by conecrusher
It is a gas, isn't it???
If you wanna get good, check your ego at the door, and listen to the instructors.
It's serious fun. I have no ego in this. my instructor is a 10 year friend. I have also read "Going Faster" a few times.

Originally Posted by VetteDrmr
Get a mongo cooler on that tranny; when you pick up the pace your temps will head for the moon without one.

Congrats on the latest obsession!

Have a good one,
Mike
I'm sure you're correct. I noticed the temp got higher each session.

Thanks
Great obsession. It was like sex the first time. As soon as I got into it, I knew I'd be doin' it till I died.

Originally Posted by waddisme
Might as well bookmark this section - you will be here a lot. Oh yeah, empty your wallet while you are at it. Welcome to the addiction. I feel for all the waxers in the General section who never will get to know how awesome their vettes really are.
Agreed. I just finished all of the performance and handling mods on my car and I thought "whew" a monetary breather. Now with tracking, it I realized that the $1900 I spent on tires and rotors are considered throw away items.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:56 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

welcome to the world of track junkies! It's all about the fix!

Haul ***!
Old 06-27-2011, 06:28 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I realized that the $1900 I spent on tires and rotors are considered throw away items.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Jason
Right click; save picture.

Get notified of new replies

To Did my first HPDE yesterday. DAYUM!

Old 06-29-2011, 02:42 PM
VicCaerter
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Right click; save picture.
I just did that!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:08 PM
Nd4spd2
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by conecrusher
It is a gas, isn't it???

The Miata is a "textbook" car in every sense of the word. It ain't fast, but it will teach you more about the limits of adhesion and how to properly carry momentum in a very direct and safe way. Finding the limit of adhesion in your Corvette can be a heart-thumping event!

The Miata is also a car that is very easy to rotate through turns. Very easy to learn on a Miata.... not so in a Corvette at twice the speed.

I'm sure everyone here has a different opinion, but I think you learn more by learning how to drive a slow car fast, before you get into the fast car. It helped me.

I am by no means an expert, but this works for me.
All I can say is it takes some nerve to hold WOT deep into the braking zone for turns 1, 5, and 12 at Road America in a Corvette, and practicing on something a little more forgiving really helped.

Needless to say, you can read a short novel in a Miata between Turn 14 and turn 1 at RA.
I'm with you on the Road America thing.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:14 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason

But really, who wants to leave a big bucket of cash laying around for your wife to enjoy with her new husband anyway.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Did my first HPDE yesterday. DAYUM!