Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 07:46 PM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Seats

I have a 2006 C6 with 5 point harness and bar. I just spent a fortune on my factory seats to make the nice (real leather and suede instead of pleather and cheap leather) and now I am being told that I need seats that the shoulder belts go through the seats for track days. The seats are on held in with 4 bolts, so changing them when I get to the track is not a big deal. Any recommendations on were to buy seats and brackets?

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

I recently purchased a Cobra Suzuka Pro and I really like it. It has excellent Shoulder, hip and leg support. For mounting I am using Arizen slider. One thing to keep in mind when choosing mounting options is to consider difficulty on installation. Side brackets mounted to the floor will give you the most head room...but it is difficult to install. Changing four bolts sounds easy....but, with fixed back seats it can be quite difficult to get good access to the mounting hardware. Sliding brackets make installation much easier...but, you sacrifice head room.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:32 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Kirkey seats and hardbarusa.com mounts. Your telescopic wheel will not work when the seat is out if you have one.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:34 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

A narrow racing seat will go in fairly easily. I just did a 17" Kirkey with Hardbar mounts however, and it was a PITA! No offense to Hardbar, their setup is very nice, BUT the way you overlap the bottom bar and the side connectors used up a lot of room I could have used.

Anyway, the point is, there is no perfect "bolt in at the track" solution. IMO, you either use street seats and belts, or you go all out seats and harnesses.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:31 AM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
A narrow racing seat will go in fairly easily. I just did a 17" Kirkey with Hardbar mounts however, and it was a PITA! No offense to Hardbar, their setup is very nice, BUT the way you overlap the bottom bar and the side connectors used up a lot of room I could have used.

Anyway, the point is, there is no perfect "bolt in at the track" solution. IMO, you either use street seats and belts, or you go all out seats and harnesses.
Thanks! I still have the stock belts in and they let you run those if you have stock seats, so I guess I will run them for as long as I can can.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by timd38
Thanks! I still have the stock belts in and they let you run those if you have stock seats, so I guess I will run them for as long as I can can.
Something you may not be aware of yet....but, it is a PITA to use stoc seat belts with an aftermarket seat. the seatbelt attaches to the seat frame in two positoins (end and clip). Additionally, the clip is actually a Pretensioner unit that is wired into the seat harness. I am still refining my set up but it is fairly easy to change. I wouldn't do it at the track but it isn't bad to do before race day. The slider makes installation reasonable.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:57 PM
timd38
Race Director

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Something you may not be aware of yet....but, it is a PITA to use stoc seat belts with an aftermarket seat. the seatbelt attaches to the seat frame in two positoins (end and clip). Additionally, the clip is actually a Pretensioner unit that is wired into the seat harness. I am still refining my set up but it is fairly easy to change. I wouldn't do it at the track but it isn't bad to do before race day. The slider makes installation reasonable.
Thanks! I have harness bar with 5 point belts. The issue is that they are planning to require that the belts go through the seats. On a C6 that requires new seats!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by timd38
Thanks! I have harness bar with 5 point belts. The issue is that they are planning to require that the belts go through the seats. On a C6 that requires new seats!
That's right. The harness is required to go through the seat....That positions the belts properly over your shoulders and keeps them from seperating in an impact.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:15 AM
MJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best answer is to stay stock until you are so bitten by the racing bug that you decide on a dedicated track car.

There is no easy way to swap seats quickly and have the proper safety equipment, especially in a C6.

I have a C5 with a full containment seat on hardbar rails. I use a 6 point harness with a HANS. Then again, my car is pretty much track only.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:27 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Have you looked into modifying the stock seats to the convertible sport seats that allow pass thru shoulder belts? Why not go to a six point belt system to bypass a submarine hole in the seat?
Old 06-26-2011, 05:57 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if you're interested and ever get south or have a cheap way to ship things, I have 2 17" kirkey's in excellent condition with black covers and 1 set of hardbar rails. I'm in Charlotte NC
Old 06-27-2011, 12:59 PM
landcaster
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run a C-5 Z06 at the track and had the same problem with the pass thru in the seat. I ended up purchasing two Corbeau seats, (from Soloracer.com), which I am very happy with. If your tall like me, buy side mount rails. If not the rails they supply work just fine. I ended up with side mount rails for the driver, and sidemount rails on the passenger's side. Why not side mount rails on both sides? There is a hump on the floor of the passenger's side and to avoid surgery to the carpet, I went with the bottom mounted rails that fit right over the hump.
I have the expensive alluminium passenger's side rails sitting in my basement. If anyone needs one, I'll let it go cheap....

Get notified of new replies

To Seats

Quick Reply: Seats