Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FS: PFC Grand Am GT1 F&R Racing Brakes COMPLETE!

Old 06-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Jennifer @ TPE
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12
Default FS: PFC Grand Am GT1 F&R Racing Brakes COMPLETE!

SOLD!!!

Hey All,

After a few months of going back and forth as to what we wanted to do, we have decided to sell our racing brake kit. Due to unfortunate circumstances with our race car, it is damaged beyond repair. The setback has forced us in a completely different direction. This direction, has caused us to sell all of our road race parts. Some of which took many many months to obtain.

The brakes you see below are NOT your average Bling Big Brake kit, that is more show than go. Their not even your "typical" monoblock racing brake kit. They are a true 2 piece caliper. These are a true to form set of race brakes, directly off of the Grand Am GT1 C6 Race car. This brake kit, along with all caliper, pads, and rotor specifications, were designed and laid out by Derrick Dong, Director of Motorsports, for Performance Friction Brakes. Those who know Derrick, know that he is one of the premier brake engineers, and works very closely with the top Corvette racers on the planet.

According to PFC, the brakes we have listed are the same brakes that won multiple poles, multiple races, and if memory serves me right, 1 national championship in the Grand Am (or maybe Rolex, I don’t remember exactly).
Although the pads that came with this kit are “Race Only” pads, you can also purchase street pads to make them mild mannered for the street. If you are purchasing these for hardcore competitive racing, it is recommended that you run the LG billet front spindles, you can also very easily, and competitively run your factory spindles. But it is recommended for the guy who is a top contender, looking for every advantage he/she can get. For the street/track guy, the stock spindles are just fine according to PFC.

We have taken each part, and weighed it on or shipping scales.
• Rotor Hat Assembly 1.64lbs
• Caliper Bracket w/Studs & Bolts 1.18lbs
• Brake Pads (per caliper) 2.23lbs
• Calipers w/hardware 6.95lbs
• Rotor Disc (no hat assy) 13.32lbs

Total Brake Weight Per Corner 25.32lbs ( I think the stock C6Z Rotor is 24-26lbs by itself)

According to PFC Both the C5 and C6, To include Z06 will accept this brake kit without modification. If running on the Z06, being that the front calipers are 6 piston, you wont move your pedal at all, like you would on the 4 piston, due to sufficient piston area. The street guy can leave his pedal alone on any of them. You can dial the bite in by the pad material. In this thread, you will see that we have attached a few emails from PFC explaining a few things that are important for the racer. We have also included the actual design specs of the kit, parts break down, and new purchase price breakdown.

These are NOT a set of brakes that you can just call some internet car shop and buy straight out of a box. EVERY aspect of these brakes, all the way down to the size of the caliper brake line was designed specifically for the best stopping power avail for the corvette. Even the pistons were machined for the perfect clamping force for each specific wheel. Lou, from LG was instrumental in the design layout of these brakes.
Along with this setup, we are including a separate kit of repair hardware. Including new studs, 12pt nuts, speed bleeders, rotor hardware, caliper hardware, shims, banjo bolts, etc etc.. We are also including a pair of 371mm rotors. The only thing that is not included (with the extra rotors) are the hats. If you want to run the monster rotors for the bling effect, or just because, you’ll have to grab a pair of hats. The 371mm rotors take a larger OD hat than the ones for the racing rotors. We will include the hardware though.

The total price of these brakes, as can be seen from the PFC breakdown, is $9,442.36 Not including shipping, extra hardware kit, or additional rotors. The TOTAL cost of this brake kit, is just over $10,200.00. But that’s the price you pay, when you want the best of the best beneath your wheels. Even then, the chances of getting the engineers of PFC to custom design a set of brakes for you, is near impossible. Unless your name starts and ends with an L and a G.

This kit is 100000% brand new, never on a car, never set on a car, never had a bolt turned on them. They were only removed from the boxes, for the purposes of taking the pictures.

We will let a CF member steal this kit from us for $5,900.00 plus 100.00 for shipping & $10,000.00 insurance. Making the GRAND TOTAL 6,000.00

This means you are paying less for these purpose built brakes, than if you bought one of the “Off the shelf” monoblock racing brake kits. But remember, even if you have a Bad-to-the-bone street Z06, you can benefit from these brakes. All you will need to do, is buy a set of regular old street pads, and the inner rotor hats to allow the use of the parking brake. If you have a stock set of Z06 Brakes, provided they are in excellent condition, we will take $4,600.00 plus your COMPLETE brakes. But they must be in excellent condition.

These brakes are on a first come, first serve basis. Although we don’t expect them to get bought in a matter of minutes, we do know that the second someone that needs this type of brakes sees them, they will be snatched up instantly. We accept Cash, Check, Wire, Paypal, and all types of credit cards. Please call or PM when you are ready to purchase.

**NOTE** If you are using these brakes on a street car, in order to maintain your E-brake, you would need new inner hats to accomodate them. You will also need street pads. We have calls in to both PFC and LG. If you want to maintain the stock ebrake, but dont ant to replace the hat, wilwood does make a street rod ebrake kit. its relatively cheap also.

Although this thread is extremely long, we wanted to provide the buyer with as much data as physically possible. When buying something like this, it is important to know what you are getting.

The specs and factory price breakdown, with part numbers, are in a word doc format below the emails and pictures, in the form of an attached link. This info is critical, so please read it. I couldnt figure out how to post it.

Total Performance Engineering
6867 Speedway Blvd R-104
Las Vegas, NV 89115
M-F, 10-6
702-632-0270 Orders/Tech
702-632-2812 Fax
Jeff@totalperformanceengineering.com (Paypal)

Originally Posted by Email from PFC regarding brake specifics
Subject: 20101216dmd PFC Corvette package for Total Performance
xxxxxx@PerformanceFriction.com, xxxxxxxxx@performancefriction.com

(Add as Preferred Sender)

Date: Thu, Dec 16, 2010 5:39 am
To: <jeff@corvettetuners.com>
Cc: "xxxx xxxxxxxx" <xxxxxxxxx@performancefriction.com>

Jeff

Your Corvette package is entered. The OE brakes has roughly 63/37% dynamic hydraulic bias at the wheels. Your new PFC package is 57/43% hydraulic bias. So try to move as much weight towards the rear or take as much weight off the front.

I’ve adjusted the torque bias with brake pad compounds until we get a balance bar in the car so use the 07 compound on the front, 01’s on the rear. You can tell by the PN which pad is which. Front pads are little thicker.

By piston volume, you have 17% more clamp than OE so the pedal will be a little longer BUT it’ll put out more torque for the same input. That’s why you’ll need to raise the brake pedal a little to compensate for the travel. When you apply the brakes after everything is bedded and bled, you’ll notice the car won’t dive as hard on the nose. The car will tend to “sit down” under braking.

Darrick Dong
Director of Motorsports
Performance Friction Brakes
xxxxxxx@performancefriction.com;
803-xxx-xxxx office direct
803-xxx-xxxx fax

Originally Posted by Email from PFC explaining brakes
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 20101214dmd PFC Corvette package for Total Performance
Date: Tue, December 14, 2010 3:01 pm
To: <jeff@corvettetuners.com>

Jeff

The package I’ve assembled is very similar to what LG is using in the GrandAm GT Prep 1 spec. It prefers a drop snout upright although it’ll work with the OE uprights but the CG and bump steer will be slightly off. I’m assuming SKF hubs on a Corvette bolt pattern for the wheels. This thing will stop!! But you have to be careful as the ABS will beat up the brakes if you get hard into ABS.

It’s also a more powerful brake system because the power assist and in theory will have 15-20% more torque than GrandAm GT so you have to be careful with the initial apply mode as this package will have bite. Look at the dynamic brake torque numbers and you’ll see the balance is just about right.

The piston area for the PFC race brakes is little more than the OE brakes so you’ll need to raise the brake pedal a little so it gets hard in the same spot. The pedal will have a little further travel but when it gets hard, the car will stop!!

Darrick Dong
Director of Motorsports
Performance Friction Brakes
xxxxxxx@performancefriction.com;
803-xxx-xxxx office direct
803-xxx-xxxx fax

Last edited by Jennifer @ TPE; 06-28-2011 at 11:40 PM. Reason: SOLD
Old 06-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Jennifer @ TPE
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

As we previously mentioned, the calipers are a true 2 piece billet caliper. We confirmed with PFC that this setup is the same kit that is currently ran on LG's GT1 race car.

Also, in one of the pictures, you will notice the removeable bridge across that back of the caliper. This allows for quick brake pad changes without having to remove the caliper from the rotor.. Pretty Cool!!

Showing the 2 piece design

Quick pad change removeable bridge plate

CNC'd billet design

Hardware connecting the 2 piece calipers together
Old 06-26-2011, 04:57 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very nice hardware. Wish I could afford it, it really is a steal at 5900 for the set.

I'll accept donations though :P
Old 06-26-2011, 06:10 PM
Jennifer @ TPE
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12
Default Our loss is your gain!

Yeah, it was kind of a slight screw up on my part. I had looked up the brakes on LG's site, and saw they were selling for $8,000.00 I figured that I wanted to price them in a manner that would give a few grand off just in case there were guys who got big racer discounts from them.

Not knowing brakes, when I showed Jeff the add, he freaked out, and explained that these brakes were nothing like the street kit. The calipers alone are almost double the price.

So here I thought I was $2,000.00 less than the distributor pricing, when it reality I was almost 5,000.000 below distributor pricing.

Since we already had a customer email us, and want to purchase them, he just needed a few monthly payments, Jeff decided rather than to increase the price we would take the hit and sleep in the bed we (actually I) made...

Originally Posted by wallyman424
very nice hardware. Wish I could afford it, it really is a steal at 5900 for the set.

I'll accept donations though :P
Old 06-26-2011, 10:02 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I see in PFCs emails they discuss using with stock braking systems and they were designed with that in mind. What about a non stock braking system, one with Tilton pedals, separate master cylinders and balance bars. Would this setup be "optimized" for such a use?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:05 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
I see in PFCs emails they discuss using with stock braking systems and they were designed with that in mind. What about a non stock braking system, one with Tilton pedals, separate master cylinders and balance bars. Would this setup be "optimized" for such a use?
With a full race pedal setup you could EASILY optimize this pfc set. You just have to size the front and rear MC's for the calipers and set your balance bar where you want.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Jennifer @ TPE
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Absolutely... They said due to the factory booster, and ABS system, we wouldnt get 100% of the brakes ability. If we ran an aftermarket setup like yours, these brakes would shine even more. But even with the factory setup, these would work better than almost everyone else on the track.
PFC told us, that virtually no private racers are running these brakes. These are mainly only used on factory backed, or heavily sponsored cars. We were only able to get them because we built 3 cars for them (PFC) for SEMA last year. Even with that, it still took 4 months to get, and a half dozen people working on it.
Originally Posted by rmackintosh

Last edited by Jennifer @ TPE; 06-26-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:44 PM
fastrash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jennifer @ TPE

Since we already had a customer email us, and want to purchase them, he just needed a few monthly payments, Jeff decided rather than to increase the price we would take the hit and sleep in the bed we (actually I) made...

So are these sold or are they still for sale??
Old 06-27-2011, 12:34 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

damn nice setup, jealous of whoever is gettin that
Old 06-27-2011, 11:05 PM
wmckeenster
Racer

PM me if they are still available
Old 06-28-2011, 12:22 AM
Jennifer @ TPE
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

As of right this moment, they are still available.

The member who is scrambling to get them, is trying to get some people who owe him money, to pay him. Until he is able to aquire the money, they are avail. If he is able to aquire the money first, then we will finalize the deal.
Originally Posted by fastrash
So are these sold or are they still for sale??
Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I wish I was a good enough driver to get the full value of these. They look and spec out awesome.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:48 PM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Those brakes are a *steal* at that price. GL on the sale!
Old 06-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Jennifer @ TPE
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

I would say, based on your Avatar pic, you know just how well these brakes work..
Originally Posted by OKsweetrides
Those brakes are a *steal* at that price. GL on the sale!
Old 06-28-2011, 05:22 PM
Jennifer @ TPE
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Gentlemen,
I was asked to put this post up by Jeff.
We understand full well, that some people feel they should/would NEVER pay what the seller is asking for a part. They always feel that if they dont get "Some" sort of a discount, they are either being ripped off, or their not getting the "Best" deal.

For some reason, even though this kit is almost 5,000.00 off retail, and more than a few thousand dollars less than any distributor on the planet can buy them for, we are still getting guys saying they will buy them right now for 300-500 off our asking price. If they were used, I could understand that logic.

I am the one who personally misprinted the sales price in the first place. These were supposed to be listed for 8,000.00. At that price, yes, we would have been able to work with you 300-500 dollars.

But given that I posted them for sale, for more than $2,000 less than we paid for them (at a steal, because we built cars for their marketing dept), and they are better than you will ever see listed anywhere, we are firm on our price. We are more than confident, that they will sell for our asking price, AND that the buyer will be extremely greatfull that we saved him that much money.

If you wish to miss out on an amazing deal over a few hundred dollars, out of principle, that is up to you. Some people feel they need to squeeze you for every sent, and they just cant bring themselves to but at the requested price. Well, that was done a few thousand dollars ago.

But if you realize that when this deal goes away, you will never be able to purchase this set again, for this price, then we would love to do business with you.
Because in the end, 300-500 dollars on a 6,000 kit, is not worth us loosing out on a sale; UNLESS we just dont have it to give in the first place. That is the ONLY time we would be willing to walk away from selling a part.

So this goes out to the 3 buyers who have been trying to work us for a few hundrd less. One of you is going to call us back, and decide its not worth loosing out on. Its just a matter of time. Rather than risking being the one who looses out on the sale, you might want to call back and finalize the purchase. If you need some time to come up with the difference, we will work with you. We dont want you to loose out because your a few hundred short. You can always pay that in a few weeks if needed.

Kind Regards,

Jennifer
Old 06-28-2011, 06:58 PM
wmckeenster
Racer

you have a PM
Old 06-28-2011, 11:41 PM
Jennifer @ TPE
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

sold!!!
Old 06-29-2011, 02:19 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Nice cant wait to hear post from new owner on how they perform
Old 06-29-2011, 02:50 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I've ridden in a C6Z with these around Pocono. They work like brakes work, though they look like sex. ABS will get involved a bit, even on huge meats.

Get notified of new replies

To FS: PFC Grand Am GT1 F&R Racing Brakes COMPLETE!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FS: PFC Grand Am GT1 F&R Racing Brakes COMPLETE!