Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics: C6 Lightweight Race Hood

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:55 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Pics: C6 Lightweight Race Hood

Some pics of the finished product a C6 Race hood built from a HOWE 2011 Camaro racing hood. Composite hood weighing about 10#
cut down to fit the Vette. The raised cowl section is about 1" taller and it fits right up to the base of the windshield. I picked up some used carbon fiber louvers from Tommy Riggins and installed them.

This hood will be only for club racing as it is a pin on hood. Not legal for Grand Am. The hood was about 300 bucks plus paint and the louvers.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Will Grand Am allow that????? Looks good, but I figure they have a spec supplier.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:45 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Will Grand Am allow that????? Looks good, but I figure they have a spec supplier.
Not Grand Am Legal, .....you missed a line in my post.

We will be club racing the car this year, if we can find some funds might try a GA race next year.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:26 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

got it, sorry about that. I need to do a similar hood for my TT car. Just hate to cut up the only hood I have, and the cheap OEM hoods I find are too far away to ship!
Old 06-29-2011, 04:19 AM
flink
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tape a wool tuft to the very trailing edge of the hood and go for a drive. I bet you'll find that large volumes of air are going into the engine bay through that gap. That air causes additional drag and raises the air pressure in the engine bay, which decreases the pressure drop across the radiator and hence worsens engine cooling. So that gap should be fully sealed.

The louvers should also be tufted. They're probably reducing the engine bay pressure which will aid cooling, but they're quite a long way towards the back of the hood - you may find that the rearmost slots are passing air in the wrong direction. The tufts will tell. The tufts may be hard to see from the drivers seat, so mounting a video camera on the roof of the car might be needed. I mounted a little camera on the hood to watch my vents (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4KOja5rnXg).
Old 06-29-2011, 06:49 AM
bosco022
Drifting

You make some good points, will take a look.

The placement of the louvers was partially determined by the location of some support ribs underneath the hood. I really wanted to place them on each side but that would have compromised some hood strength.

When the hood is pulled down tight and pinned the gap is MUCH smaller.
Going to add two more pins in the rear corners.

Daytona in August will be instructive!

Get notified of new replies

To Pics: C6 Lightweight Race Hood

Quick Reply: Pics: C6 Lightweight Race Hood