Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal of transmission tail shaft housing with trans in the car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 02:10 PM
rgg16g
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removal of transmission tail shaft housing with trans in the car?

Will post this over in Tech as well but many of you are very "tech" minded so here goes....

I have a leak on my T56 between the tail shaft housing and main case. Would it be possible to remove the tail housing without removing the trans from the car? Would save a lot of time if possible. I’m hoping to remove, apply new sealant, and then reinstall the tail housing while the trans is still in the car. I saw this post, http://www.cajundude.com/differential3.htm , looks like I could drop the trans down enough to make room to work, though maybe not?? Question is though is it possible to do this properly with the trans hanging down still under the car, do I have room to reinstall the housing properly? Will all the innards line up properly with it in this position?

I guess at this point taking the trans all the way out is not a big deal, just more time involved. But if I can save time and perform the job correctly then I’m all for leaving the trans in.

Quick Reply: Removal of transmission tail shaft housing with trans in the car?