Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I knew it was going to happen . . . but this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 08:26 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default I knew it was going to happen . . . but this?

Six straight track days with no issues, and car had been running great so I hadn't been in a hurry to do any track days. Decided to do Rd Atl today. All good thru warm up session, 3 slow laps in first session (couldn't get point by) then I did the 3rd to 4th shift on backstretch a clutch pedal barely came up and got progressively worse over the next 2 laps. I figured the fluid had gotten hot seeing I hadn't flushed it in a while. Finished session using only 4th gear and barely able to get it back to 1st to get in pits. Decided to flush before next session, but when I jacked up car and crawled under to install jack stand, there was a puddle of blue ATE fluid. The remote clutch bleeder hose had a hole in it. It would spray right out when pedal was depressed. It was tied down, so nothing rubbing against in. All I can figure is something flew up and hit it. It is a stainless steel braided hose, but it was not wrapped with anything. Winched it up on trailer and came home early. I just knew it was coming, but never heard of this.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:33 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

ping me next time, could have thrown it on the lift and sorted it back out for tomorrow.

I swung by the paddock during lunch (was out with the kids) but only saw Rob, Jeff, and Mike (and Jake and Josh in the distance).
Old 07-01-2011, 08:42 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I was right behind them. The only thing I could come up with was to lock some vise-grips on the line above the hole, but not sure if it would have stayed on.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

When the slave cylinder failed on my 86 I spent a day on the track driving without a clutch. Not all that hard at speed. Biggest problem was starting the car and getting out of the garage. Once rolling easing off the throttle allowed me to shift.

Bill
Old 07-02-2011, 06:43 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's bad news! All that you went through on the Pfadt bars and this blew your track day...

... I had been looking forward to doing this mod some day. Now a little less. Please keep us posted on what you find as the cause. My oil cooler lines are braided ss--I do have heater hose over them in some places where I thought rubbing was possible but not everywhere.

Are we supposed to be cleaning the out side of the ss hose periodically?
Maybe dirt is getting to it causing wear between the hose & outer jacket?

Sorry to hear.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

It's always something.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:53 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When the slave cylinder failed on my 86 I spent a day on the track driving without a clutch. Not all that hard at speed. Biggest problem was starting the car and getting out of the garage. Once rolling easing off the throttle allowed me to shift.

Bill

We drove 10 hours of two 7 hour endurance races last year with no clutch. Nothing like push starts and power shifts.

-Kevin

Get notified of new replies

To I knew it was going to happen . . . but this?

Quick Reply: I knew it was going to happen . . . but this?