Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need reliable steering rack supplier.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:37 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Need reliable steering rack supplier.

I have some play in the input shaft of my rack that can't be eliminated with a preload adjustment so I am in need of a new rack. Gmpartshouse said GM no longer makes new racks. They only have rebuilt ones. Unfortunately the rebuilt racks are on backorder with NO scheduled ship date.

So I need an alternate source for a new/rebuilt rack. Can anyone recommend a good supplier that does a thorough job of rebuilding racks?
Old 07-04-2011, 07:28 AM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Do not buy a GM rebuilt rack. They last one season and fail. I havve bought used OEM racks on eBay, as the original units last a long time.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:36 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Check out Corvette Recycling - forum vendor - their link is at the bottom of the list on the left under used parts. Great service, good used parts and good prices.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:41 AM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard good things about Turn One rebuilds, but I have not had one.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:12 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Tracker
I have heard good things about Turn One rebuilds, but I have not had one.
Next repair will be Turn One rebuild rack to go with their pump that I already have and the 25% underdrive pulley. Really, no other way to go.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:28 AM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks everyone! I will call corvette rcycling and Turn One!
Old 07-04-2011, 10:48 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Originally Posted by southern_son
Next repair will be Turn One rebuild rack to go with their pump that I already have and the 25% underdrive pulley. Really, no other way to go.
I have and no issues since
Old 07-04-2011, 11:05 AM
rasrboy
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Turn One racks are your best bet. I had no problems once theirs was installed.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:36 AM
wmckeenster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which pump is recommended for full race application on the Turn One site, they have several?
Old 07-04-2011, 01:24 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not sure that their web site has it. I'd recommend calling them and telling them what you are looking for. When I talked them a couple of years ago, they were very friendly and helpful. While I had them on the phone, I talked to them about why our car's have power steering pump issues. Below are my notes from my conversation with them (prices are a couple years old too). Hopefully my interpretation of what they said is correct. The downside of their racing power steering pump is that it does take more effort to turn the wheel at parking lot speeds.

When we put high loads on our steering systems at the track, this increases the pressure/loads on the power steering pump. The power steering pump does have a bypass valve built into it if the pressure/loads become too large for it to handle. However, once the power steering pump starts activating that bypass valve, it won't last very long before the pump fails.

Turn One offers a couple of different pumps for our cars. One is their standard pump and the other is an upgraded pump designed for people who run big, fat, sticky front tires on the front of their cars. It sounds to me like their upgraded pump is:

1) Designed to operate at higher pressure
2) Requires less horsepower to operate
3) Will reduce power steering fluid temps for guys like us around 20 degF

The upgraded pump costs a little more than there standard pump. I don't recall the exact number but it was around $50. The upgraded pump costs $275. They also offer pumps for us with AN fittings rather than the fittings our cars use when stock. And they have an aluminum pulley for $65 which has slots cut into the pulley disk which allow access to the pump mounting bolts. This allows the pump to be removed without taking the pulley off.

I asked if he felt we needed a larger power steering fluid cooler. He said he didn't really know, but the magic temp for power steering fluid is 275 degF. So what we should do is do some hot laps and then come in and measure the fluid temp. If it is under 275 degF, we're fine. If it is over, then we need a larger cooler. Because the cooler is on the return side of the power steering circuit, the fluid running through the cooler is on the order of 30 psi so we don't need any type of cooler which can tolerate high pressures. A regular engine oil cooler is fine.

They do indeed rebuild power steering racks.

Get notified of new replies

To Need reliable steering rack supplier.

Quick Reply: Need reliable steering rack supplier.