Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Potential Engine Issue...need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 12:41 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Potential Engine Issue...need advice please

Car is 2006 Z06, no internal mods, but intake, exhaust and tune (no cats). You all know I do track days with R compounds, but have the Lingenfelter tank (11 quarts) and an elite catch can for PVC system.

I did a track day last week and took it relatively easy as I had my co-workers out and were taking them for joy rides, car ran fine, no issues. I basically parked the car, and then took it out in our local 4th of July parade on Monday.

The problem...engine light came on at the start of the parade (now keep in mind I have my rear O2 sensors turned off, so it would not be emission related). During the parade some young kids asked me to rev up the engine. I did not see harm in this (all in good fun), but each time I rev'd the engine past approx 5k, a big clould of blue smoke with a burning oil smell came out of the exhaust (I had never seen this much smoke). Now I don't have cats so I expect some smoke, but not 18 wheeler kind of nasty smoke.

Car seem to run ok, drove it home with no problems, I thought maybe the catch can was full and puking oil into the intake, but upon removal it was only 1/4 or so full. I know this is hard to troubleshoot remotely, and I have not tried to pull codes yet, but any ideas??

The smoke was blueish and smelled like nasty burning oil.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:15 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

One of the major problems with the LS7 heads have been valve guides Matt, you could have a worn guide (or several) that are allowing oil through. You are under warranty still correct?
Old 07-05-2011, 02:21 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
One of the major problems with the LS7 heads have been valve guides Matt, you could have a worn guide (or several) that are allowing oil through. You are under warranty still correct?
Glad that you posted Doug!!! As whatever the problem is, the car is coming to you. No warranty, it is an 06 and even my extended warranty has expired. I need to pull the codes when I get some time, hopefully that will tell us more.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
valve guides Matt, ?
Jersey,

You didn't mention any clatter noise which is what you would usually hear if it was a valve guide.

You may also want to check for a broken oil ring on one or more pistons.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Potential Engine Issue...need advice please

Quick Reply: Potential Engine Issue...need advice please