Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"High trans temp" warnings on my C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 11:12 AM
monroepaul
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default "High trans temp" warnings on my C5Z

I just started getting this warning in the dash on my last track day. I guess I'm gonna need an aftermarket trans cooler? Any suggestions and is anyone selling one of these?
Old 07-10-2011, 11:50 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I used to get that warning at tracks where I use 2nd gear. You might want to flush in some high temp tranny fluid and diff fluid for starters. You can also install some insulating wrap around the exhaust pipes near the tranny. It won't take much to avoid the high temp warning. Even a slight change in driving will make a difference. Maybe once every couple laps don't use 2nd gear. Of course a tranny cooler or even a diff cooler will solve the problem, but that's more effort and $$.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:32 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree with redtopz - swap out tranny and diff fluid for a high quality synthetic. Get some header wrap and insulate the exhaust in the tranny area. These fixes will go a long way towards keeping it cool. Driving style also plays a big part in equipment heat. With the HP and torque offered by the Z, try taking that high second gear corner in third. You will not lose much if any time and the tranny will stay cooler.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:19 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

85 degree ambient temps at Putnam Park and oil well over 300 and tranny warning came on. This was back several years ago. I, as well as others with which I run, use coolers for tranny and engine oil. If I were to do it all over again, I would go with the cooler pump that is driven off the rearend as opposed to a fuel pump setup.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:03 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am with others ... get a good new fluid in and go from there.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:22 PM
DansBlkonBlkZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the same high temp trans fluid message at CMP a few weeks ago. It was over 100 degrees on the track and my oil temp got to 295 degrees. As soon as my high trans oil temp flashed up, I got black flagged for a diff fluid smell that a corner worker smelled when I went by. It was so hot, that the diff fluid appeared to be leaking out of the top vent. I'm having it checked out now. The diff/trans cooler options are over $1200 plus install, so I'm trying the header wrap first. There is also an additive you can add to the trans fluid to help with high temps.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:54 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

Tremec recommended this product to me, basically Water-Weter for ATF. No idea if it actually works, but I use it.

A good fluid, and it is unlikely that heat will damage your trans. Exhaust heat might be adding to the problem, but its friction causing most of the temp. Just facts of life at the track.

http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Blend-4012.../dp/B0002W09G6
Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

After reflecting on this a bit, it depends on how much time you run a session, also. With 10/10ths, one can run a full 30 minutes each session. Since most groups only run 20 minutes or so, the temps are not as much of a problem. Therefore, wraps and fluid may work. However, some of the components in our transmissions don't take too kindly to heat at all. There is a reason the aftermarket thrives in heavier duty rebuilds.

Get notified of new replies

To "High trans temp" warnings on my C5Z

Quick Reply: "High trans temp" warnings on my C5Z