Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which trailer should I get for an autocross/track day car?
Sloan Kwik-Load
30.00%
Featherlite 3110
70.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Open Trailers: Sloan Kwik-Load vs Featherlite 3110

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 02:44 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Open Trailers: Sloan Kwik-Load vs Featherlite 3110

For those of you that tow, which one would you recommend? The 18' versions seem fairly comparable in terms of price and weight (if you order the Sloan with the aluminum deck it's 1350lbs vs ~1400 for the Featherlite). Do you have to paint the Sloan much or otherwise keep up the steel trailer frame? If so it is worth it to not have to use ramps? If it matters I'll be towing with a Chevy 1500 6.2L. Either trailer with car and autocross gear should be about 5000-5600 so the truck should be able to handle it. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:06 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sloan is the best open trailer I have ever owned. I have an 18' open with the steel deck. The AL deck is a waste of $$ IMO. Be damn sure to get a spare tire!

I have found the trailer handy for everything from hauling the Corvette, Motorcycle to trees and limbs.

Their front fiberglass guard is junk and a POS. I built a nice detachable tire rack on mine with a sheet of 16 ga. on the lower 3' that works perfect.

I have also hauled my 2500 HD truck on it!

I'm selling mine, but not until I make my final move to FL in late October. I also have a new 20' V-Nose enclosed trailer w/10,000# axles that will make one trip to FL and then be available for ~$4500.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:14 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just went through this whole process and ended up buying from MSI Trailer in IN. I was looking at the 3110, but for the money, MSI had a much better deal for a very comparable trailer and their service was awesome. I actually ended up going with one of their steel trailers because I decided the weight savings did not warrant the extra cost.

Call Matt at MSI - he's actaully a NASA supporter here in the midwest.
800-348-8541
http://www.mobilestructures.com/JAR%...AR%20SPEC.html
Old 07-12-2011, 03:32 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

I voted for the Featherlite only because that's the one I have experience with. It was light, towed perfectly, hauled my Corvette (and tons of timber), looked new the whole time I had it (no rust or painting to worry about) and I got most of my money back when I sold it.

Just my experience.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I don't think you need to worry about rust that much. I have been using the same steel cross country trailer for 18+ years now. For the first 10.5 years it was stored outside all year and was never inside. Did get some rusting but all it was was surface rust in some spots. Especially in spots where I had a tire rack and other things welded to the original structure. I have never tried to do anything about it.

What ever you buy make sure its weight is what the paper work says it is. Mine was supposed to weigh 1200 lbs and that is what its VIN tag says. But when I put it on a certified scale it came in at 1800 lbs.

Bill
Old 07-12-2011, 04:10 PM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I voted for the 3110 also. I looked at both and went with the Featherlite. Although I didn't read your post carefully enough. If you can get a Sloan similar in weight to the 3110, then I'd be tempted to get the Sloan.

That said, my 3110 has be terrific so far. No problems and I can barely tell it's behind my truck ('08 Tundra) on the highway (other than the slower accell of course).

Dave G.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:12 PM
talon95
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I don't think you need to worry about rust that much. I have been using the same steel cross country trailer for 18+ years now. For the first 10.5 years it was stored outside all year and was never inside. Did get some rusting but all it was was surface rust in some spots. Especially in spots where I had a tire rack and other things welded to the original structure. I have never tried to do anything about it.

What ever you buy make sure its weight is what the paper work says it is. Mine was supposed to weigh 1200 lbs and that is what its VIN tag says. But when I put it on a certified scale it came in at 1800 lbs.

Bill
Yea, I was thinking the all steel Sloan was 2800lbs or so. When I re-read the original post I was surprised to see you could get one close to the 3110 in any material.

Dave G.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:37 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
It's good to know the steel will hold up reasonably well. I found one (and only one) post in my searching where someone had a Sloan they had to repaint every couple of years.

Good point about the true weight. I'll try to get confirmation on both.

Originally Posted by talon95
Yea, I was thinking the all steel Sloan was 2800lbs or so. When I re-read the original post I was surprised to see you could get one close to the 3110 in any material.

Dave G.
They quoted 1950 lbs for the 18' all steel, which was on the lighter side of what I was expecting so the aluminum weight was really surprising to me. I thought it was all aluminum but apparently that is just the deck.

Thanks for the replies everyone, keep the info coming. Hopefully I'll be ordering one (or finding a good used one) in the next month or so.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:41 PM
rbl
Drifting

I weighed my Sloan 18' = 1864#. Steel deck, no spare and no tire rack - basic trailer. It is the #7500 version as well.

You are close too so no shipping ... lucky you.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:52 PM
gmccreary
Drifting

I bought a BigTex 18' DM70 and I'm very happy with it. Electric brakes on both axles, chrome 15' wheels and a mathing spare all for $3000. It's built much better than other trailers I looked at but it is rather porky at 2200 lbs. I tow with an F250 PowerStroke so the weight is not a real concern.
The following users liked this post:
tdereggi (06-28-2019)
Old 07-12-2011, 05:27 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are fussy a steel trailer will not go more than three years without paint. Never saw a factory that was real fussy with the paint and prep like a custom paint job. What type of paint is the sloan painted with?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:25 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by rbl
I weighed my Sloan 18' = 1864#. Steel deck, no spare and no tire rack - basic trailer. It is the #7500 version as well.

You are close too so no shipping ... lucky you.
Glad to know their spec is close to the actual weight. Thanks a bunch for weighing yours.

Originally Posted by John Shiels
If you are fussy a steel trailer will not go more than three years without paint. Never saw a factory that was real fussy with the paint and prep like a custom paint job. What type of paint is the sloan painted with?
I'm not sure, I'll have to check. Thanks for the advice on paint, I appreciate it.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Wah
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I went through similar decision process; except the aluminum trailer was an R&R 18-foot model. Prices were almost the same (within a couple hundreds I believe). I picked the 18' all-steel Sloan (with the optional fairing) since I didn't have to deal with ramps. The R&R had a bracket in the front to store ramps and the two ramps (in storage) act like a stone shield. So, both of them have stone protection which is important for me. Both have electric brakes (on both axles) and independent Dexter Torflex axles.

I'll have my Sloan for sale in a bit, I'm upgrading to enclosed.

Last edited by Wah; 07-13-2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:17 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ltborg
Glad to know their spec is close to the actual weight. Thanks a bunch for weighing yours.

I'm not sure, I'll have to check. Thanks for the advice on paint, I appreciate it.
I have scaffold painted 30 years ago with rustoleum and it is still on there. It's in the prep of the steel and paint type.. Best to look at some a few years old and judge. I painted my H&H tilt back with a brush after 3-4 years and now 4-5 years later it could use another shot. I use it in my construction business so it gets some good miles and wear. Well it did when I had work! Torsion bars suspension is a smoother ride if available. Brakes both axles and dexters would be my choice for parts availability when in Bum F ck somewhere.

Last edited by John Shiels; 07-13-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:02 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Brakes both axles and dexters would be my choice for parts availability when in Bum F ck somewhere.
Thanks for the axle advice, I've been looking for info like that. Definitely plan on brakes on both axles. Any brand recommendations for the brakes?
Old 07-14-2011, 12:41 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ltborg
Thanks for the axle advice, I've been looking for info like that. Definitely plan on brakes on both axles. Any brand recommendations for the brakes?
the whole axle is Dexter brakes and all. I know here I can walk in a buy the entire brake assembly plate at a few auto parts stores. They don't even stock parts because they said by the time the brakes are shot the entire assembly is near shot. For 130 bucks I think and removing 4 bolts the entire brake system on one axle end is new just plug in the wires.

made in the USA http://www.dexteraxle.com/

Not some crap you can't get parts for. I use mine in my construction business for many miles and at the limit most of the time. I throw scaffold plank, scaffold frames, material and mortar mixers on those axles. Also my 30,000 LB trailer has Dexters.

Last edited by John Shiels; 07-14-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:05 AM
z06.driver
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rbl
Sloan is the best open trailer I have ever owned. I have an 18' open with the steel deck. The AL deck is a waste of $$ IMO. Be damn sure to get a spare tire!

I have found the trailer handy for everything from hauling the Corvette, Motorcycle to trees and limbs.

Their front fiberglass guard is junk and a POS. I built a nice detachable tire rack on mine with a sheet of 16 ga. on the lower 3' that works perfect.

I have also hauled my 2500 HD truck on it!

I'm selling mine, but not until I make my final move to FL in late October. I also have a new 20' V-Nose enclosed trailer w/10,000# axles that will make one trip to FL and then be available for ~$4500.
Hi, I live in Vero Beach, Florida and would be interested in buying your Sloan trailer. Where is it now? (I'm up in Virginia until early October)
Old 08-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Z06phile
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Of these two, I only have experience with the Sloan's Kwik Load. I like it and putting my low Z06 on it is easy. I got lucky and found one on CL for $4500. They're a little over $6K new with options + freight. Mine has the aluminum deck, aluminum fenders and the wind fairing. Supposedly the aluminum deck cuts 600lbs off. I've never weighed it, but they say it weighs 1350lbs. This one has been outside since new (late '07) and has surface rust on the rails. The in-deck lights and storage bins will fill up with water when it rains. Plan on moving the license plate outboard a few inches. It will contact your rear wheel when loading a wide car like the Corvette.
I tow it with a Yukon XL (5.3L) and get about 13.5 mpg on flat hwy. I keep the speeds around 65 and try not to let it downshift in the hills. It takes a little longer, but my wallet is a little thicker when I get there.
I tried a 21' v-nose enclosed first and was getting single digit mpg
Don't bother unless you have a diesel.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:41 PM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by z06.driver
Hi, I live in Vero Beach, Florida and would be interested in buying your Sloan trailer. Where is it now? (I'm up in Virginia until early October)
Sloan Trailer is here in VA now but we probably won't connect by early October (late Oct. is better). I am headed back to FL November 1st but not with that trailer. With my 20' enclosed V-nose car hauler and I will sell it down there when I make that trip with my furniture. Will only be looking for $4800 for it and it is brand new.

PM if you want to chat.

Get notified of new replies

To Open Trailers: Sloan Kwik-Load vs Featherlite 3110

Quick Reply: Open Trailers: Sloan Kwik-Load vs Featherlite 3110