Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

And so it begins....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 02:33 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerracing
Get back on the horse that threw you. Good for you.
....exactly!...
Old 07-27-2011, 12:19 AM
rmackintosh
Pro

Well, the firewall has been removed....ready for a steel or aluminum replacement, the goo and glue has been ground out of the interior, and the doors have been gutted. Now, just waiting on some Black Dog WC bodywork and we can start the cage!

Got some cool parts from the guys at LGM as well. Pro Long Tubes and a radiator for mock up on cage/steering/etc.

The car might look like a real Corvette again soon!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:16 AM
FredSM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
Congrats, looks like you picked a great platform to build on. That AV8SS class sounds pretty fun. I was talking to the guy who started it up and I might run with those guys sometime. Sounds like some of them have really fast cars. I know Andy Sutak's mustang is fast .
You'd have a ball with Darrell and crew, Bill. They race hard and party fun. I do take exception to being called "half rack", though, Darrell!

FM
Old 07-27-2011, 11:52 AM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
I need alot of parts....since it is just a frame and doors. I have the bodywork coming...at least the rear and roof. And tail lights, but need all else.

I need the sway bar mounts that bolt to the cradle and stock engine block motor mounts...the part that bolts to the block. Dunno if these are C6 specific though. I need a rubber shift boot for inside the car...again, dunno if C6 is different.

Pretty much if you think it would be used in a road race car and it would work on a C6....run it by me....hehe....
check out ebay and corvetterecycling.com for good body work prices and everything else..
Old 07-27-2011, 01:11 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by FredSM
You'd have a ball with Darrell and crew, Bill. They race hard and party fun. I do take exception to being called "half rack", though, Darrell!

FM
I have run with Darrell for a few years now, and Andy for the past few months. I was able to run right behind Darrell in the first AV8SS race last year and was right with Andy in the race this year....until I had my accident. My car was FLYING for its last few hours of life....sigh....
Old 08-01-2011, 06:44 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

OK, NOW we are talking! After receiving the first batch of Blackdog Racing's World Challenge bodywork....the care is NO LONGER a "frame with two doors".....

The stuff is really nice, and VERY lightweight even though I opted for fiberglass in the "impact" areas for repair purposes. I will get the stuff on a scale if I get the chance to let you all know.

This should allow us what we need to get the cage and drivers compartment fabbed in for PHASE I of the build in the next few weeks.

Last edited by rmackintosh; 08-01-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:56 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Got bored after working on the car today and drug out some "junk" from the barn:

I said I would get some weights of Blackdogs race bodywork for future reference:

Carbon roof = 11 lbs
Carbon rear deck = 7 lbs
Fiberglass rear fenders = 3.5 lbs each
Fiberglass rear bumper with/tail/side lights = 18 lbs

Stock inner fender liners = 7.5 lbs each

Hope to have front fenders and rocker bodywork this week.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:26 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

What did you do to line up the panels relatively straight without any of the factory tub, etc. to reference off of?
Old 08-20-2011, 10:52 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by trackboss
What did you do to line up the panels relatively straight without any of the factory tub, etc. to reference off of?
I am using stock doors and stock rocker panel/door jambs as well as a stock rear tub. The stock door and rocker/jambs should be fine...I will need to trim the rear of the rocker at the front of the rear fender opening a bit.

The Blackdog stuff just fits right with the stock components. I have it just sitting loose now....when we get it to the cage shop, we will anchor the rear tub and finish mount the Blackdog panels....just need to drill the stock screw holes for the most part. May dZus the rear bumper to fender...the roof will screw to the stock tub and dZus somewhere in the front....
Old 08-20-2011, 10:58 PM
Short-Throw
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You're leaving the B-Pillar in tact?
Old 08-20-2011, 11:59 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by Short-Throw
You're leaving the B-Pillar in tact?
The steel portion of the B Pillar is gone...just the fiberglass shell/halo. I will remove the A Pillar/windshield frame as well. The main hoop will replace the B Pillar/hoop and the A Pillar. I am a big guy, so I need the cage as high as possible. The main hoop will go ALL THE WAY to the carbon roof and the bar above the door will be tucked into the roof and A pillar area so as to be as high as possible and nearly invisible from the exterior....
Old 08-26-2011, 06:25 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

OK, front fenders and rockers now here!

Time for some REAL fab work! Looks like the fabricator's schedule will open up next week sometime. Should be able to get the cage/interior/body mounts before recovery is required for the next stage!
Old 08-27-2011, 10:33 AM
rmackintosh
Pro

OK....

...might need springs after all....

Old 08-27-2011, 10:53 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by FredSM

FM
I'd have to add a 2nd LS6 in my trunk to keep up with those guys! But they do seem to be having a great time out there .

OK, front fenders and rockers now here!

Time for some REAL fab work! Looks like the fabricator's schedule will open up next week sometime. Should be able to get the cage/interior/body mounts before recovery is required for the next stage!
Looking good! Who's building your cage?
Old 08-27-2011, 01:50 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by redtopz
I'd have to add a 2nd LS6 in my trunk to keep up with those guys! But they do seem to be having a great time out there .

Looking good! Who's building your cage?
I could keep up with them in the Camaro....this was the year I could hopefully beat them....we will never know....

I am having a local guy Paul Traver, former owner of S&T Enterprises, a fab shop in the 80s and 90s do the cage. His work is impeccable and saved my life once already..... He is a wandering soul however and doesn't do race car work full time now...just for those who can get him to do it....
Old 08-27-2011, 05:06 PM
sspeed30043
Racer

Well, the firewall has been removed....ready for a steel or aluminum replacement, the goo and glue ha
Isn't it fun? I just removed the fiberglass firewall from mine also.

Also got the rocker panles off..that was real fun, drivers came off in three pieces, managed to get the pasenger side off in one piece but
a couple battle scars.... have a drivers side on the way.

I'm going to use all stock bodywork on my build, I can almost build
the entire car for what carbon body work would cost...

I also have to replace part of the right frame rail...working on that now.

Last edited by sspeed30043; 08-27-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: add...
Old 08-27-2011, 08:51 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by sspeed30043
Isn't it fun? I just removed the fiberglass firewall from mine also.

Also got the rocker panles off..that was real fun, drivers came off in three pieces, managed to get the pasenger side off in one piece but
a couple battle scars.... have a drivers side on the way.

I'm going to use all stock bodywork on my build, I can almost build
the entire car for what carbon body work would cost...

I also have to replace part of the right frame rail...working on that now.
Yes...the firewall and goo/glue grinding/burning/sanding was HORRENDOUS. My garage is all new construction white walls....the black cloud of dust from weeks of grinding/burning/sanding has now settled on EVERYTHING in the garage like sheetrock dust in a remodel....BUT BLACK! When the car goes to the fabricator, I will spend a WEEK cleaning the garage...to the ceiling!

Get notified of new replies

To And so it begins....

Old 08-27-2011, 08:56 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Here is the "under" bodywork progress.....

B pillar repair:

Gutted door:

Invisible firewall:

Car has stock doors, door jambs/rockers, inner front fender liners and rear tub. While the body isn't cheap, the panels are cheaper than Z06 panels....at least the fenders are...hehe
Old 08-27-2011, 11:36 PM
sspeed30043
Racer

Just wondering what the price is for the Blackdog roof?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:43 AM
rmackintosh
Pro

Originally Posted by sspeed30043
Just wondering what the price is for the Blackdog roof?
The roof and the bumpers are the most expensive pieces. Call them for an exact, but without looking up my receipt, I think it was around $2300. It is in carbon and comes with the below windshield cowl piece as well.

Quick Reply: And so it begins....