Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R6 tire rub issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:21 PM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default R6 tire rub issue

Just put on a set of new R6 in 275/40zr17 on my 2004 Z06 and noticed a slight amount of tire rub when at or near max. steering input. Is this normal or do I have another problem going on. The tire was rubbing on the last bolt head holding the inner fender on on each front corner. I took the bolt out as I need to run the tires this weekend and hopefully will not need to go to full steering input.

I wanted the 275 size to gain a couple of points on my NASA TT classification sheet. Guess I will need to go to 255/35r 17 to get away from the rub on the next set. Darn I guess that means I will have to really push it this weekend to burn up this set.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Are you really going to be at max steering when you are at speed? I ran 315/35/17s all the way around on my 03Z and only had issues with the rims hitting the control arms at close to full lock and some tire rubbing on my DRM brake ducts when driving around in the paddock/garage area.

Bill
Old 07-14-2011, 01:53 PM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Are you really going to be at max steering when you are at speed? I ran 315/35/17s all the way around on my 03Z and only had issues with the rims hitting the control arms at close to full lock and some tire rubbing on my DRM brake ducts when driving around in the paddock/garage area.

Bill

Still in HPDE3/4 with hopes of moving to TTA yet this year. THis is my first time with the R6's . Don't plan on any full max steering but I always check when I put on new size tires.

I also have another question and I know it might sound dumb but I am still really new at this. Why is the A6 so much better than the R6 ? I noticed that everyone seems to say the A6 is better but does not last as long. I went witht he R6 just because I assumed it would not be as hard to learn it the first time as a A6 tire.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:01 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've run 275s for years without coming near touching. With no brake ducts I think you should be to go to 295 without rubbing anything. It sounds a little odd to me but see what others say.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAlley
Still in HPDE3/4 with hopes of moving to TTA yet this year. THis is my first time with the R6's . Don't plan on any full max steering but I always check when I put on new size tires.

I also have another question and I know it might sound dumb but I am still really new at this. Why is the A6 so much better than the R6 ? I noticed that everyone seems to say the A6 is better but does not last as long. I went witht he R6 just because I assumed it would not be as hard to learn it the first time as a A6 tire.
The A6 was designed to be an autocross tire so it comes up to temperature quickly. A lot of people have found it holds up to long track sessions as well. At least long enough for a T1 race.

Bill
Old 07-14-2011, 04:02 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

full lock is not an accurate to gauge tire rub....you shouldn't even be doing that a parking lot IMO. A 275 should not rub anything of any consequence at speed unless your wheels are set way too far in/out. As above, I've run 315's on 10.5" rims all around with scrubbing of consequence.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:45 PM
dwredzo6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran the Kuhmo 295/40/17 a few seasons ago and had no rub problems. Car was lowered on stock bolts and brake duct intact.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:47 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnAlley

As long as your ride height and alignment aren't screwed up you should have no problems with 275 tires in front. As others have said, the C5Z can run 315's in front with no modifications.

Re: R6 vs. A6, I think it's a good idea to start with the R6. They squeal like pigs at the limit to let you know when they are losing grip. And they do last quite a while. I ran only R6's in hpde until I started doing TT and racing last year. Now I'm running A6's like everyone else and it would be hard to go back to R6.

Get notified of new replies

To R6 tire rub issue

Quick Reply: R6 tire rub issue