Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Our big local event is this weekend, how's my setup sound?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Paul R.
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our big local event is this weekend, how's my setup sound?

This weekend is our local SCCA region's big two day event. I have autocrossed my 2004 Z06 in SS four times this year, two were on street tires, the others were on old hard 275 V710's up front and 295 A6's out back. The car had the factory alignment and wasn't lowered at the time. Below is my setup for this weekend. Obviously I still need a lot more seat time with this car, but in terms of setup of the car itself, how does this sound?

-lowered car 1/2" or ~13mm in front (this was what 3 full turns and camber adjustment gave me), this was not bottomed out on the bushings
-lowered rear to end up with ~1/8-1/4 rake as measured at the jacking puck area
-front camber: -1.9* (set to -2.0* but the beams needed moved to clear front valance for toe, so the end result was -1.9* on the print out)
-front caster: 6.9*
-front tow: 0.01*
-rear camber: -1.0*
-rear toe: -0.03*

For tires:
-Front: 295-35-17 brand new A6's
-Rear: 315-30-18 2 heat cycled A6's

I based these settings and sizes on forum searches I did here. Some of the information was dated, but I didn't find anything against what I picked. Does this sound like a good starting point? Any opinions and or insite is appreciated.

Last edited by Paul R.; 07-14-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:06 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks great. I've raced SS many times with a setup close to yours. I also race SK1 which is SS with street tires. You can win with that setup. It's all up to you.

Steve A.

Last edited by mountainbiker2; 07-14-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:21 PM
tcmc5
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You didn't mention tire pressure. Hopefully, you've also researched pressures fast SS Vette guys are using with A6s.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:36 PM
Paul R.
Heel & Toe

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the opinion. I'm happy that it seems I have it setup well, but the bad thing is I guess I have no excuses if I don't perform well anymore.

tcmc5- Generally I have found most recommend running ~32lbs front and ~28lbs rear for the A6's. I will start there and see how the car feels/reacts and adjust accordingly. If anyone has found anything different please let me know. I'm a sponge at this point trying to research and find all I can to get the car to be as good as it can be.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:54 PM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run .10 to .15 toe in in the back as do most. Toe out will induce oversteer.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:30 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Let's us know how you did.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:48 PM
Paul R.
Heel & Toe

WOW is all I can say. The car simply amazed me today. I made a lot of driving mistakes but once I stopped driving the car like a mad man it responded accordingly and rewarded me with some decent times. That was after 2 spins and a finish through the cones backwards! LOL! The results are not posted yet as tomorrow is day two of the event. I will post my results then. My raw time was within the top 10, and possibly top 5 cars out of 70+ entrants. I had leave immediately after the final heat so I didn't get to check to see for certain. I'll have video up soon. I came to the realization that this is an amazing car, I just need to unlearn some bad throttle habits amongst other things. Seat time is what I need!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:15 PM
Paul R.
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Let's us know how you did.
I did way better than I had expected to. Saturday was a learning day for me and I did a lot of things wrong, but I was able to learn from it and change a few things in my driving style for Sunday. I finished 6th overall in raw time and 13th in PAX out of 66 cars on Saturday and 7th overall in raw and 9th in PAX out of 68 cars on Sunday. I absolutely have to learn throttle control with this car and I need to stop overdriving it. I'll post up some video soon.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:39 PM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Sounds like you had a great time. Nice results too. Waiting for video.

Steve A.

Get notified of new replies

To Our big local event is this weekend, how's my setup sound?

Quick Reply: Our big local event is this weekend, how's my setup sound?