Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Radiator Cooling Help Info - LG Motorsports

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:25 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Default Corvette Radiator Cooling Help Info - LG Motorsports

Hey guys,

It's summer, and it's hot outside. We have been over 100 degrees the last 15 days in a row. Corvette's already have a marginal cooling system in them so make sure it is working at it's best. It's time for you C5, C6 and Z06 guys to perform preventive maintenance like this as it can result in hurting your baby.

**ESPECIALLY IMPORTANT FOR CORVETTE TRACK GUYS**

CHECK AND CLEAN YOUR RADIATOR

The above picture was taken today from a Corvette in the shop. If you find yourself driving on dirty roads, or having an off-track experience, check your C5 or C6 Corvettes radiator for dirt and debris. This build up will most certainly not help in cooling your Corvettes temps. This holds true for both stock and aftermarket units.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:51 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Where did that rad come from John Deere tractor?
Old 07-15-2011, 06:56 PM
jcosta79
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

...I don't understand why my car keeps overheating!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:45 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

this is very common....if you still have the condenser on the car, you can't even see how dirty your radiator is. Sage advice from LGM!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Rednels
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been fighting an overheating problem in my race car. It has an oil cooler in front of the radiator and a PS cooler behind it.

I have owned the track car for 2 years but never removed it to clean. Can it really make that big a difference? I have looked at it and I dont have anything that looks like that picture.

I guess Im asking if there can be enough dirt, grime, and debris trapped in the radiator to seriously hurt performance if you can't see it.

Also, what is the best way to thoroughly clean the radiator?
Old 07-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Joe_Knesek
Racer

Here is a quick & easy solution:
http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Honeyc...tors,3545.html
Old 07-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Here's something I did that helps some. I cut a couple of cleanout panels in the shroud that let me flush out the radiator with a water or air hose from the top down. There's a lot of crap that get trapped in the very top of the radiator, wedged in the narrow area where the shroud meets the top of the radiator. It's easy to remove these panels and get to almost all of the radiator.

Although these panels make routine maintenance/race prep easy, it's still necessary to remove the radiator and shake the sand and stuff out of the fins, at least annually, to ensure it's really clean.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I routinely cleaned my condensor with a vacuum cleaner and an attachment I fabricated, so when I changed to a De Witt radiator I was going to skip blowing the condensor out from behind when the radiator was out (it looked clean). I thought better of it, borrowed an air compressor and blew 120psi air from the back over every square milimeter. I got enough dirt and sand out to cover a large shop dustpan to 3/8" deep!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:10 AM
Rednels
Instructor

Originally Posted by Z06trackman
I routinely cleaned my condensor with a vacuum cleaner and an attachment I fabricated, so when I changed to a De Witt radiator I was going to skip blowing the condensor out from behind when the radiator was out (it looked clean). I thought better of it, borrowed an air compressor and blew 120psi air from the back over every square milimeter. I got enough dirt and sand out to cover a large shop dustpan to 3/8" deep!
Point taken....I guess I need to take it out and give it a good cleaning.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:13 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by Rednels
I have been fighting an overheating problem in my race car. It has an oil cooler in front of the radiator and a PS cooler behind it.

I have owned the track car for 2 years but never removed it to clean. Can it really make that big a difference? I have looked at it and I dont have anything that looks like that picture.

I guess Im asking if there can be enough dirt, grime, and debris trapped in the radiator to seriously hurt performance if you can't see it.

Also, what is the best way to thoroughly clean the radiator?

On the race cars we actually wear the units out. Not just by dirt build up but everything else.

Those little hot bits of rubber that collect all over the race track....well they melt themselves into the radiator fins as well, and are almost impossible to remove. Bits of rocks fly up and bend over the fins which also block air flow around the tubes, again leading to poor radiator performance so it is more than dirt.

Best way would be to pull the unit, vacuum out the loose items and blow air and water through from the back side to push the dirt back out of the front. Then straighten the fins that are bent back over with a fin comb.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:11 PM
naschmitz
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_Knesek
If you install this, didn't you just automatically block off 40% of the air from reaching the radiator? Protects the radiator, yes, but ...
Old 07-16-2011, 12:50 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

A mesh of any type in front of a radiator will reduce airflow unless you have an oversized cooling system. Not great for OEM setups.....just not enough airflow.

If you can get the radiator out, one of the best ways to clean it is to drop it repeatedly on the "face". You obviously don't want to damage the aluminum, but if you drop if forward onto a piece of plywood etc, the inertia when it jolts to a stop will allow tons of debris to fall out.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:11 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
A mesh of any type in front of a radiator will reduce airflow unless you have an oversized cooling system. Not great for OEM setups.....just not enough airflow.

If you can get the radiator out, one of the best ways to clean it is to drop it repeatedly on the "face". You obviously don't want to damage the aluminum, but if you drop if forward onto a piece of plywood etc, the inertia when it jolts to a stop will allow tons of debris to fall out.
Hey, that's how I clean my K&N air filter before each event. Crude but efficient. No need to wash & re oil except maybe once a year. I have mine 4 years now, probably would have gone thru 8 or more paper filters.

Thread drift a little.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:42 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

There is a way to thoroughly clean the radiator without removing from the car. Remove the top shroud plastic cover. Hook this air spray nozzle to your compressor and blow from the inside out. The end has a 90 Deg turn so you can get between the AC condensor and radiator to blow it out. Then separate the fan shroud from the radiator and blow the rad out. I do it about once a year, you would be very surprised at the amount of crap, leaves and sand that is accumulated.

http://www.buy.com/prod/mountain-mtn...212940104.html
Old 07-17-2011, 12:02 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by davidfarmer

I was at a car show today & AFLAC had one of Edwards Cup cars that he will be running this season, I forget which track it's built for but I swear that the radiator was 5 to 6 inches thick multi cores all alum made the Dewitts & Ron Davis radiators look like heater cores.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:41 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

On the big ovals they can get away with thicker cores and higher fin count because of the speeds. One of those radiators on a road course will not have enough airflow to cool. That being said, on my custom cooling system (C5) I went with 1.25" dual tubes as opposed to the more common 1" tubes and the radiator seems to work very well even sitting idle. I only run a single spal fan in instead of the factory fans and there seems to be very little restriction. I still run an a/c condensor as well. I am confident one could go up to 1.5" dual row with low fin count on a road course and/or street car.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:03 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
There is a way to thoroughly clean the radiator without removing from the car. Remove the top shroud plastic cover. Hook this air spray nozzle to your compressor and blow from the inside out. The end has a 90 Deg turn so you can get between the AC condensor and radiator to blow it out. Then separate the fan shroud from the radiator and blow the rad out. I do it about once a year, you would be very surprised at the amount of crap, leaves and sand that is accumulated.

http://www.buy.com/prod/mountain-mtn...212940104.html
Cool product. Westco has it for $5 less, and another few bucks less for shipping. Google the part number.
Discount Tools for less than 1/2 the price.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Radiator Cooling Help Info - LG Motorsports

Old 07-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Pumba
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 102 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia

Then after you have blown the crap out of the condenser and the radiator (Do the radiator first), reassemble the components, and get under your Corvette and tape the gap between the radiator and condenser shut. A lot of material can be sucked up through the gap.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:49 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up Anthony
You didn't sell any radiators with this post, but you did make a lot of Corvette friends
Old 07-21-2011, 05:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Pumba
Then after you have blown the crap out of the condenser and the radiator (Do the radiator first), reassemble the components, and get under your Corvette and tape the gap between the radiator and condenser shut. A lot of material can be sucked up through the gap.
hmm, I figured that was more air flow?

Quick Reply: Corvette Radiator Cooling Help Info - LG Motorsports