Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Opinions Wanted: What would my Z be worth...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 09:16 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Honest Opinions Wanted: What would my Z be worth...

It is highly likely I'm going to be moving out of the Country for at least a year for business. Combined with spending over 10 of the last 16 months out of the country I'm starting to question the decision to hold onto my Z06. I'm thinking when I move back in a year or two I will want to get back in the game - but that feels like a long way down the road right now.

I know I'll get pennies on the dollar for what I have into the car, but that's life. The car is really amazing, but needs a bit of tuning in/sorting out. It seems I get to the track about once a year the last 3 years, so I just never have time to dial it in. It also doesn't fit any particular class well at this point (too much motor) which probably limits it's value in this market. Anyway, the car is:

2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
  • 427 short-block (LS7 block, all forged internals, non-LS7 crank for true dry-sump)
  • ARE true dry-sump (3 stages scavenge, 1 stage pressure)
  • PRC 265cc LS7 heads
  • LS7 lifters
  • LS7 rockers w/ bearing upgrade
  • Mid 240s/250s .670 lift cam
  • 12:1 Compression
  • Fast 102mm Intake
  • Nick Williams 102mm TB
  • 80# injectors
  • Ron Davis Radiator w/ Oil Cooler
  • Power Steering Cooler
  • DRM Trans & Diff Coolers (heat exchangers behind rear factory brake-duct opening)
  • CAI
  • Kooks 1 7/8" stepped to 2" Long Tubes & Off-Road X-Pipe
  • Stock Ti Catback
  • LG "G-Stop" Wilwood front BBK
  • DRM/LG Brake Ducts & Spindle Mounts
  • T1 Sway Bars
  • Pfadt Coilovers
  • Pfadt Spherical Bearing Bushing Replacements
  • Pfadt Billet/Poly Motor Mounts
  • VBP Billet/Poly Trans-axle Mount
  • Hardbar Alignment Locks/Shims
  • Full NASA/SCCA legal Roll Cage
  • Halon Fire Suppression System
  • Crow 6-Point Harnesses
  • Window Nets
  • Momo Steering Wheel w/ Quick-Release
  • Removed Air Bags, Stereo and HVAC (small blower for defrost)
  • RPS Billet/Carbon Dual-Disk
  • B&M Shifter
  • Shift Light
  • Lowered and Corner-Weighted
  • RPM Built MN6 (tighter gear spacing than the stock M12)
  • LPE Built Rear (3.42, upgraded diff, upgraded output shafts, etc)
  • DTE Brace
  • SFK Upgraded Wheel Bearings (with long studs) at all 4 Corners
  • 600RWHP/530RWTWQ NA on E85
I'm forgetting some of the minor supporting mods (like the fuel pump etc.) and don't have the exact cam specs on me now. I also have five (5) full sets of factory GM C5Z06 wheels (2 sets are the forged '01s) with it and a bunch of tires (most of the tires are old/well used and not really worth mentioning, one pretty fresh set of A6s). Pics below.

PRC 265cc LS7 heads, went for the Ti/stainless intake/exhaust valves and the PRC spring kit that allows up to .675 lift. Almost 390cfm on these things in the range I'm using (over 390 @ .700 but I'm only going .670 on lift).
Lift LS7 Intake LS7 Exhaust PRC Intake PRC Exhaust
.200 161 114 169 119
.300 227 171 248 179
.400 291 193 308 211
.500 330 203 351 224
.600 351 209 383 235
.650 353 204 388 241
.700 353 209 393 246

NOTE: Numbers are just vinyl

I'm sure I have a ton more pics of it around, and could dig them up for anybody really interested. The car has had one off-track experience. I went 4 wheels off a THill and did not impact anything solid, just the mud berm going off to the right after 9. It bent the bolt-in piece under the radiator which was replaced with a GM part and tore the front fascia plastic a bit. It is all back together and looks great from 5' but it's not a show car.

Your thoughts and opinions on what it might be worth are welcome and appreciated.

-TJ

Last edited by tjZ06; 07-15-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:31 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I want. Good luck with the sale. If I wasn't so attached to my car I would be all over this.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:19 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tjZ06
Your thoughts and opinions on what it might be worth are welcome and appreciated.
Don't do it TJ! When I saw your car at Thunderhill that one time, I was drooling. Just store it until you come back, its way too nice to sell after all the work you put into it.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:33 AM
Shock96
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just can't begin to imagine how great this car is.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:52 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Beautiful car and it sounds like it's a beast with the 427.

I think we found who has been hoarding all of the C5Z wheels.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:54 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Very nice looking ride, I would just prep the car and find a storage locker if it was mine. As to the value - at least on the east coast. Phoenix regularly has fully prepped fresh C5 T1 cars that are selling in the high 20's to low 30's. With all the mods your car has, I would ask about the same price. It all depends on how fast and how badly you want to sell the car. P.S. Those wheel sets, you should list them separately here on the forum. They will go fast.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:03 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

How much for the truck and trailer?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:09 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Very nice looking ride, I would just prep the car and find a storage locker if it was mine. As to the value - at least on the east coast. Phoenix regularly has fully prepped fresh C5 T1 cars that are selling in the high 20's to low 30's. With all the mods your car has, I would ask about the same price. It all depends on how fast and how badly you want to sell the car. P.S. Those wheel sets, you should list them separately here on the forum. They will go fast.

i would start out a little higher .. lots of motor there. damn that is a nice ride
Old 07-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you can get 25-30k for it. I would start in the low 30's. Looks like a nice car, I would like to have the engine!

Tim
Old 07-16-2011, 08:36 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

nice build !
you mentioned some sorting out issues.
can you elaborate ?
Old 07-17-2011, 01:37 AM
RC45
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tjZ06
It is highly likely I'm going to be moving out of the Country for at least a year for business. Combined with spending over 10 of the last 16 months out of the country I'm starting to question the decision to hold onto my Z06. I'm thinking when I move back in a year or two I will want to get back in the game - but that feels like a long way down the road right now.
If you dont need the money, dont sell it - store it.

My built 427 street/track car sat unused for the last 2 years - and I am glad I never sold it, as now that time and finances allow me to start playing with it again I have no need to start from scratch.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:37 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by whatcop?
I want. Good luck with the sale. If I wasn't so attached to my car I would be all over this.
Thanks.

Originally Posted by Sidney004
Don't do it TJ! When I saw your car at Thunderhill that one time, I was drooling. Just store it until you come back, its way too nice to sell after all the work you put into it.
Yeah, I'm just kicking the idea around right now. It would be really, really hard to let this car go, but at the same time it hurts that it never really gets used.

Originally Posted by Shock96
I just can't begin to imagine how great this car is.
With the limited use I've had with it in this state (post cage, susp, 427 etc.) it is insanely good. It's obviously stupid fast in a straight line, but the turn in is like no 'vette I'd previously driven (it got so much better after the DRM solid rack bushing, Pfadt spherical bearings, and the cage). The car is sort of begging for some aero, but that's a whole other snow-ball.

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Beautiful car and it sounds like it's a beast with the 427.

I think we found who has been hoarding all of the C5Z wheels.
Yeah, the motor is a beast, but a very linear controllable beast. I've actually AutoX'ed it a few times since we put the 427 in. You'd think in 2nd gear in little parking lots it'd just be a ridiculous handful, but it's actually very controllable. And when you get some room to actually let it run it will get up and get the F-out.

And you're right, I can never pass up a good deal on a set of C5Z wheels, lol.

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
You're probably right, I should store it. With all the nice Phoenix ex-T1 C5s out there going cheap (because they are no longer "the" T1 car) it will really hurt the possible value of my car. By the time you factor in all the supporting mods and dry sump there's at least $20k just in my motor... tough to take mid/low 20s for it with that being the case, but like I said it's well known you get pennies on the dollar for modded cars.

Originally Posted by YOOPER
How much for the truck and trailer?
I'm probably not looking to sell those unless somebody made me a really, really, REALLY good offer. I still have my sand rail that's already stored and I won't be selling (I co-own it with a friend) so I probably want to keep the truck and trailer. I've been much more into the duning for the last few years, which is why I'd even consider for a second selling the Z06. It's tough to have two motorsport hobbies, especially when I spend so much time out of the country.

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra

i would start out a little higher .. lots of motor there. damn that is a nice ride
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Timz06
I think you can get 25-30k for it. I would start in the low 30's. Looks like a nice car, I would like to have the engine!

Tim
Thanks!

Originally Posted by C5ZEE06
nice build !
you mentioned some sorting out issues.
can you elaborate ?
Right now I actually have the stock C5 Z06 sway bars on it. With the coil-overs and the spring rates in the car right now the T1 bars just seemed like too much. One missing piece for this car would be adjustable sways. It just needs time on the track is what I'm getting at. If I could get to the track a couple times a month for the next few months and just really figure out the spring/shock/sway/tire pressure combo for the car it would be perfect. Well, not perfect of course because like I said this car begs for aero. Anyway, nothing wrong with the car just needs seat time.

Originally Posted by RC45

My built 427 street/track car sat unused for the last 2 years - and I am glad I never sold it, as now that time and finances allow me to start playing with it again I have no need to start from scratch.
Good point. I don't need the money, I just am spread too thin on time and hobbies right now, especially with leaving the country. But I guess you're right: starting from scratch will just burn even more money when I want to get back in the game.

Anyway, I guess I'd entertain offers in the mid-30s, but it doesn't sound like this car would get to that number.

-TJ
Old 11-08-2011, 02:27 PM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

TTT

This car is officially up for sale. I'd prefer to sell minus the motor (which honestly is probably a better way to buy this car so you can put a stock-ish motor in it and make ST2/TTS) though I could be persuaded to leave the motor for the right money. At this point I plan to take the dry sump with the motor as well, though for the right money I'd leave it (nice for the buyer since it's fully integrated into the car at this point).

I am not desperate to sell the car, and in many ways my heart isn't fully in the sale so don't bother sending me ridiculous low-ball offers. If you have a serious offer please send it along.

Thanks,
TJ
Old 11-08-2011, 08:24 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Give you 22k right now
Old 11-09-2011, 06:00 AM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default 02 z06

pm sent
Old 11-09-2011, 08:32 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by RC45

Well said. The car may not be part of your life the next year or so, but it can wait for you to get back When you get back, just think how fun it will be to lay into the go pedal after driving something else for so long.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:41 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

No way I would sell that. Too much of a $$s hit and sweat equity loss when you know you will return to tracking. If it will help you out, I will gladly store it in my garage, and maybe take it to VIR every now and then to make sure it all stays in goodworking order until your return. I would do that to help forum member out. I have an open space now that the TA is gone:

[IMG][/IMG]

Just another option for you.
Old 11-12-2011, 02:06 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Selling the trailer as well? And the truck?
Old 11-12-2011, 06:43 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Great Track Car

TJ thanks for answering all my questions. The car is worth every dollar and more to the right buyer.

He told me he needs the truck and trailer for his sand rail.

Get notified of new replies

To Honest Opinions Wanted: What would my Z be worth...

Quick Reply: Honest Opinions Wanted: What would my Z be worth...