Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What tire pressure for HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 12:10 PM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What tire pressure for HPDE?

I'm planning on doing some HPDE track days at Summit point raceway this fall. I'll be running FS Wide Oval run flats and would like to know what tire pressures I should start at?
The car is stock '07 C6 A6 LT1 except for new SS brake lines and Hawk plus pads.
I can barely wait to have some fun with the turns.I've never done HPDE before other than being a passenger with an instructor.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:30 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V4kerker
I'm planning on doing some HPDE track days at Summit point raceway this fall. I'll be running FS Wide Oval run flats and would like to know what tire pressures I should start at?
The car is stock '07 C6 A6 LT1 except for new SS brake lines and Hawk plus pads.
I can barely wait to have some fun with the turns.I've never done HPDE before other than being a passenger with an instructor.

Thanks for any advice.
if this your 1st one as you say dont really worry about it you can lower them a little bit from normal(@3 lbs) but you probibly shouldn't be driving hard enough that tire pressure is a reaolistic concern yet.... just get through the day stay out of the" red zone" for now and just have fun.. but prep your car right ...tons of threads on this.. torque your wheels and most important , bleed your brakes well... before every event...you will be over braking alot.. good luck you are about to experience a life changing event!!!

Last edited by TRACKMAN2; 07-17-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:57 AM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks TRACKMAN2,
I've read the sticky and I got a buddy that does track days with his C5 Z06.My biggest fear is losing the brakes do to being an A6.I'm guessing I wouldn't be able to engine brake a whole lot.It happened to my buddy who neglected his and had a off track event.Lucky he did break anything.
I just had new Hawk pads and SS brake lines put on.I plan on taking it easy and getting use to the speed and new habits like looking down the track and using the mirrors.
I've done the Drag strip 3 times and I need some bends in the road to bump up the fun factor
Old 07-18-2011, 01:41 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

You're going to have a great time. On the GY's I generally left it at the stock 30 psi cold. I found that even a couple of pounds lower and the car wanted to get squirrely off-corner if you had any sort of yaw while getting back to the throttle.

For your first time out I also doubt you'll have brake trouble, especially since it sounds like you've done the right things to start out with. I would however consider bleeding out to DOT4 if you haven't yet. Again as a first time you're not likely to boil DOT3 but it's a good hedge.

Heard what sounded like some good advice at VIR from the classroom instructor Chuck (whose last name I CANNOT remember!) for those running automatics. Put the car in 4th and leave it there. These engines have PLENTY of torque to go around most tracks in 4th the whole way round. That will give you one less thing to worry about and will be a lot easier on your drivetrain. That said, I don't drive an auto and I don't know Summit so I can't say for sure, but it seems logical.

Have fun, be safe and I guarantee you'll be back!
Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Use 34psi cold for your first few HPDE's. After that, you'll need new tires anyway and will be a much better driver. It's not that important....for now.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:11 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Trackman2:
you can lower them a little bit from normal(@3 lbs)
Lower them or raise them? I have heard both but mostly the latter.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:22 PM
MP35N
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bring a gage

I've only been out once, also with a A6, at Willow Springs. Had a blast! Pressures were 32 psi on the freeway, but 39 to 40 after 20 minutes on the track. Check them after your sessions.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:39 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Trackman2:

Lower them or raise them? I have heard both but mostly the latter.
For street tires it is easier on them to run at higher pressures, and you need those tires to get home! Most instructors that I've encountered will recommend running 4 lbs above mfg recommended cold temp.

Originally Posted by MP35N
I've only been out once, also with a A6, at Willow Springs. Had a blast! Pressures were 32 psi on the freeway, but 39 to 40 after 20 minutes on the track. Check them after your sessions.
Build-up will always happen and it's a good idea to check 'em after a session so you can get a feel for what's happening. But do not ADJUST them right after a session, wait until just before your session before you bleed off any air. At most HPDE's you'll have enough time between sessions that your tires will come back to their starting temp, or pretty close.

Get notified of new replies

To What tire pressure for HPDE?

Quick Reply: What tire pressure for HPDE?