Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 piece rotor, center hat ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:14 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default 2 piece rotor, center hat ?

What is the typical life span of the center hats on a 2 piece system?

thanks for your input, in advance
Old 07-18-2011, 06:30 PM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

about 4 rotors.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:02 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Depends on the use, loads, and also the mounting system.

Some will use a stand like the ALMS car above, StopTech uses a bobbin drive, Brembo uses a modified stand/bobbin, and PFC uses a split plate design.

The stands like you see above held up very well for side loads but the steel stands beat up the alum. hats pretty good on acceleration and deceleration so you had to watch that. The bobbin design like StopTech's would start to oval out the holes in the hats and you started to get a lot of axial load as well as increased float in the rotor.

Main thing is keep notes of what you are doing and how they wear. Each one is going to be different as it is going to be different for each car. I would say check it after 2-3 rotor changes and keep an eye on it as you change rotors from there on out.
Old 07-18-2011, 07:18 PM
WNeal
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In Veteran VII
Cruise-In Veteran VIII
"Slower Azz Dog"
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Depends on the use, loads, and also the mounting system.

Some will use a stand like the ALMS car above, StopTech uses a bobbin drive, Brembo uses a modified stand/bobbin, and PFC uses a split plate design.

The stands like you see above held up very well for side loads but the steel stands beat up the alum. hats pretty good on acceleration and deceleration so you had to watch that. The bobbin design like StopTech's would start to oval out the holes in the hats and you started to get a lot of axial load as well as increased float in the rotor.

Main thing is keep notes of what you are doing and how they wear. Each one is going to be different as it is going to be different for each car. I would say check it after 2-3 rotor changes and keep an eye on it as you change rotors from there on out.
That is pretty enlightening and explains much more than I had ever envisioned. I am on my first set of rotor discs right now, 4 events and two of those I did not drive hard due to weather.
I am assuming to get my remaining 5 w/e events this year out of the original rings as they are wearing great.
I will most likely hold off on ordering new hats until next year.

Great info,
Thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 07:50 PM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you check the hats and there is play with new pins I would get new hats and rotors. Stoptech sends new pins when you get new rotors. the hats hold up pretty well.

Get notified of new replies

To 2 piece rotor, center hat ?

Quick Reply: 2 piece rotor, center hat ?