Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness Install Tips - Brey Kruase - Schroth

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:29 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Harness Install Tips - Brey Kruase - Schroth

I posted this over in the C6 section looking for any specifics for the C6 but if anyone has any input it would be greatly appreciated.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...post1578162173

I am getting ready to install my Brey Krause harness bar and I am looking for a harness now. After all the reviews and searching...... I have decided on the 4 Point Schroth Profi II ASM FE with the factory seat.

The question is the Brey Krause is designed to wrap the harness around rather than bolt on to it, I believe. Does anyone have any guidelines for installing the harness with this harness bar?

Can I just use the factory seat bolts in the rear for the lap harness?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I believe Vetteworks and Hardbar both have mounts that will allow you to run a full 6 point harness with the stock seat. The lap and subbelts fasten to the mount with the lap belts going around the seat with you sitting on the sub belts and the belts passing back to the mount through the space between the bottom cushion and the back cushion. This is acceptable to most organizations. However, that leaves you with the shoulder harnesses still going around the seat back which is very bad. You can do that in a low speed autocross but if you are doing a high speed event where you can have multiple hits during an incident it has been demonstrated over time the shoulder belts come off the shoulders as the body stretches and pulls one way and then another thus leaving you with no upper restraints. No organization that I know of now will allow you to run with that kind of a setup. If you have a harness bar get yourself a race seat and seat back brace if its an aluminum seat and do the job right.

Or learn how to use the cinch feature of the stock seat belt so you can be held in the car better.

The difference between the stock seat and a race seat is the race seat holds you in the car and the harness holds you in the seat. With the stock seat the harness has to hold you in the car. Even the stock 3 point harness is sufficient if you have a seat that holds you in the car so all it has to do is hold you in the seat.

Call HMS Motorsport and talk to Joe Marko about what you should do. He is a safety restraint expert and works with the top teams in the NASCAR Cup Series.

The number is 888.467.3269 . I have instructed at many BMW Club HPDEs where Joe was the appointed safety guru and I know he knows what he is talking about. You will get a straight answer from him but you probably will not like the answer.

Bill
Old 07-18-2011, 08:44 PM
dsddcd
Pro

The difference between the stock seat and a race seat is the race seat holds you in the car and the harness holds you in the seat. With the stock seat the harness has to hold you in the car. Even the stock 3 point harness is sufficient if you have a seat that holds you in the car so all it has to do is hold you in the seat
Very good point, the factory belt has the ratcheting feature and the 4 Point would not.

As I had mentioned in the other thread I am not ready to cage the car, which I believe is mandatory if you have an antisubmarine harness, which is why I choose a 4 Point. I will call HMS and it sounds like I should probably start looking at seat options and dicuss harnesses with them.

Guess I will just install my trusty CG lock for now and hammer out the details later.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
Very good point, the factory belt has the ratcheting feature and the 4 Point would not.

As I had mentioned in the other thread I am not ready to cage the car, which I believe is mandatory if you have an antisubmarine harness, which is why I choose a 4 Point. I will call HMS and it sounds like I should probably start looking at seat options and dicuss harnesses with them.

Guess I will just install my trusty CG lock for now and hammer out the details later.
+1 for Joe and HMS. You do not have to install a roll cage to install a 5 or 6 point harness. Just a race seat with sub-strap slat in the seat bottom and seat back. In my C6, I used a Vetteworks bar at the rear seat mounts for the 6-point and B/K extensions on the sides for the side belts. However, I am using stock seat rails with my aftermarket seats. Most aftermarket seats require aftermarket seat rails that have points for the sub and side belts welded to them.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:15 PM
dsddcd
Pro

Just got off the phone with Joe at HMS what a great guy. He really does know his stuff!!!!

I will be working with HMS to find a good seat match and move from there.

Get notified of new replies

To Harness Install Tips - Brey Kruase - Schroth

Quick Reply: Harness Install Tips - Brey Kruase - Schroth