Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delete only one cooling fan - C5?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 02:14 AM
onefastls6
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delete only one cooling fan - C5?

is it possible to remove the drivers side radiator cooling fan only? i've read that they are wired in series so i'm concerned that the other fan will not work if one is removed.
anyone have any tips? i'd really like to only run one fan for cruising the paddock etc. since the radiator cools better on the track with out any fans at all, plus it'll save weight too.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:23 AM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

When I put mine back in, the oem harness didn't work, so I ran a wire on a switch to the passenger side fan (it was the night before a race when I was doing this, of course) and it worked fine. Plan is to pull the whole thing and get a lighter, single fan.
The following users liked this post:
B20forlife (12-10-2017)
Old 07-20-2011, 10:25 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

On our ST2 car I removed the passangers side fan and secured the drivers side fan to the radiator and it's worked fine for 2 years. We have the radiator layed down and a heat extractor hood but even after the race waiting for the dyno the car will idle and keep temps under 230. Granted not ideal but it does save some weight and opens up the other side of the radiator.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:00 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

reach down and unplug one of them and see what happens. I would have assumed they are wired individually and ran individually (newer ones definitely are), but not sure about your car.
Old 07-20-2011, 12:38 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I found this link today and it seems to support the claim about them being wired in series.

http://www.c5help.com/cooling_fan.htm

I'd like to know if it would be possible to straight wire them like Jason did, but putting the switch to the high speed relay to avoid having to use a large guage wire. It would be nice to be able to flip the switch in the paddock and on the dyno and have the high speed fans come on.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:27 PM
aggie_corvette
Racer

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
On our ST2 car I removed the passangers side fan and secured the drivers side fan to the radiator and it's worked fine for 2 years. We have the radiator layed down and a heat extractor hood but even after the race waiting for the dyno the car will idle and keep temps under 230. Granted not ideal but it does save some weight and opens up the other side of the radiator.

PM Sent.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

They switch between series and parallel. You could remove one and use some wires to feed the other fan no matter which way the relays switched. Here is the schematic:

For instance you could pull the right side fan and run a ground wire from G102 directly to the A side of the driver's side fan. Or pull the driver's side fan and run power directly to the B side of the passenger side fan.
Its pretty simple.

There is another solution you could try. The early C5 fan shrouds had blow out panels at the bottom of the shroud. These were flaps that allowed cooling air to blow around the fans if the pressure in front of the shroud increased above a certain point. When the car was standing still the fan would have enough suction to close the flap so all cooling air would go through the radiator. Don't know when they stopped making the shrouds that way. My 97 had the flaps and my 03Z did not.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-20-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:13 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I built a custom single (spal) fan setup using the factory wiring. I made a jumper that plugs into the right fan harness plug and I took out relay 2. It's all factory style plugs so no cutting, etc. and the stock system can always be plugged back in.
Relay 3 simply is a ground toggle that switches the factory fans from series to parallel. The factory fans always run as a pair. What happens is that in series there is double the resistance so the fans run slower. Once the ground switches (relay 3)and each fan has it's own relay full power (relay 2 energizes) is given to both and they spin faster. My setup is only one fan so I get full power as soon as the computer triggers relay 1. The only thing left for me to really complete everything is to program out the trigger temp for relay 2 and three (or at least raise it high enough so it never triggers). Even without that programming there will never be an issue running my single fan so it's not necessary, but I'd rather have it that way. I also plan on raising my relay one trigger temp to over 200 so the fan only turns on in standing traffic (my setup has excellent airflow through the core).
Old 07-22-2011, 04:17 PM
TS Motorsport
Pro

Originally Posted by trackboss
I built a custom single (spal) fan setup using the factory wiring. I made a jumper that plugs into the right fan harness plug and I took out relay 2. It's all factory style plugs so no cutting, etc. and the stock system can always be plugged back in.
Relay 3 simply is a ground toggle that switches the factory fans from series to parallel. The factory fans always run as a pair. What happens is that in series there is double the resistance so the fans run slower. Once the ground switches (relay 3)and each fan has it's own relay full power (relay 2 energizes) is given to both and they spin faster. My setup is only one fan so I get full power as soon as the computer triggers relay 1. The only thing left for me to really complete everything is to program out the trigger temp for relay 2 and three (or at least raise it high enough so it never triggers). Even without that programming there will never be an issue running my single fan so it's not necessary, but I'd rather have it that way. I also plan on raising my relay one trigger temp to over 200 so the fan only turns on in standing traffic (my setup has excellent airflow through the core).

+1 SPAL fans are more efficient & lighter than OEM plus they're not as deep as OEM.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:29 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

I originally was not sure if it (single 16" curved) would be enough with the thick core I am using as well as the condensor stacked, but the thing pulls a ton of air and I can actually feel the vacuum at the intake under the bumper. Nice thing is with the single I left a lot of open area for air to flow through the core with no restriction. I've got photos posted in other threads of my setup. If I get a chance I'll post some of the completed setup as I have it installed.
The original reason I went with the single spal was simply because the factory fans take up a lot of space and are pretty sloppily mounted. They work well, but it's just something that bothered me. The extra room is pretty nice though.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:42 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
I've got photos posted in other threads of my setup. If I get a chance I'll post some of the completed setup as I have it installed.
Please do!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:27 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Here you go. As you can see the fan is pretty slim and on the driver's side there is a whole lot of core unrestricted. The factory plastic cover is just there to make thing appear stock. I have vibration mounts top and bottom holding the radiator with some custom brackets I welded on the tanks.

Get notified of new replies

To Delete only one cooling fan - C5?

Quick Reply: Delete only one cooling fan - C5?