Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HERO HD 1080 placement

Old 07-28-2011, 12:57 PM
scootguy58
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default HERO HD 1080 placement

I have been trying to get that great "Camera in the car, but showing the driver in action (not THAT kind of action) and the roadway outside" spot, but to no avail.
I do not mind putting the 3M sticky base in place if that's what it takes, as long as I know the "spot" will work.
Also, I cannot load the patch that allows the playback to be right side up. Has anyone had success with that upload on the Hero 1080?
Old 07-28-2011, 01:08 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 294 Likes on 76 Posts

The camera in the car showing the driver doesn't come out to good with the GoPro because of the wide angle lens. You tend to get to much of the inside of the car and not enough of the track. I have tried both and have settled on the sticky on the windshield just to the right of the rearview mirror near the top. In order to try the other, you pretty much need a harness bar to mount the camera on. Here is one of the ones with it on the windshield.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hKfo24N7qc Hope this helps. JD
NOTE: I loaded the updated software and it works fine. Check with GoPro on that.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:12 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I flip it in Premiere Pro
Old 07-28-2011, 01:29 PM
torque*is*cheap
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure this was taken with a Hero, but I like the angle, shot through the sunroof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9A0HKoEBX4

The car is an ST Civic Si, driven (quickly!) by Will Kalman. I like that you can see much of the course, and his hands working the wheel. I'm gonna try this with the camera on the halo bar and the targa top removed.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:22 PM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

This may not be as much of the road as you're looking for, but here's a video I took at VIR in June with my GoPro HD:

http://youtu.be/AFUkYw9m2As

This was taken from a harness bar mount and using "mode 5" on the camera which decreases the wide angle down to 120 degrees(standard is 170). The only downside is that the mode is 1080p so it creates large files, about 3.5GB for a 25 minute or so session.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:49 AM
scootguy58
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for your help. I may just put a sticky on the window for some shots and re-try the suction on the rear glass and cut down the wide angle.

I am just preparing for some track time at the Chevy Anniversary at RoadAmerica in August.

Get notified of new replies

To HERO HD 1080 placement

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HERO HD 1080 placement