Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long time track guy, first time vette owner with a few questions.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Nick996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Long time track guy, first time vette owner with a few questions.....

Car is a 2011 GS.

Do I get a set of OEM wheels (18" F and 19" R) or do I go with 18" all around?

If 18's all around what width wheels will fit front/rear and what size tires work best? I prefer a DOT track tire as I can't trailer my car or haul an extra set of tires to the track. I have to arrive and drive with the setup I choose.

I don't actually "race" my car but I do 4-5 HPDE's a year for fun and to enjoy my car.

My initial thought was to get an extra set of OEM wheels and just put some DOT track tires on in OEM sizes but thought I'd ask here and see if anyone had some advice for me.

Thanks!
Old 08-04-2011, 09:56 AM
NOSLO6
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

18"-square combo will open up more tire choices in the long run, including scrubs that you see posted up here. Good cost saver.

If you stay stock, Toyo R888s are a nice r-compound tire that are available in 19" sizes with exceptionally good street manners. I run them year round on my daily driven C6.

Knowing that you won't be trailering the car and depending on where you live and how you use the car, it's worth considering keeping your factory wheels, selling the factory tires, mounting R888s and running them. You'll get better day to day handling in all but cold temps and they're quite nice for track days.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

R888s don't really come in a fan friendly 19" rear Z06/GS size though.

I'm running 18x10(f) / 18x12(r) CCW ($$$$ though) with either 295/18 - 335/18 Toyo R888s, Hoosier A6 or R6
Old 08-04-2011, 10:15 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a couple choices. Yes you can go 18's all around. Keep in mind some have experienced computer issues and some have not. I have an 06Z 18f 19r, and what I did was use the OEM wheels for track tires (as they are stronger OEM quality), then went out and bought a set of cheap aftermarket copies for the street ($750). Both work great for their intended purpose. The OEM wheels hold up great at the track and my 09 Spyder copies look better than the original wheels on the street. I went this way for a couple reasons...I didn't want to fork out $2000+ for a set of good quality CC just to beat them up at the track and I disliked the OEM rims appearence. Also, I found the OEM rims to be pretty lightweight compared to aftermarket.

The only downside is that 19" Hoosiers are more expensive than the same size 18", but not that much if you buy either new, but your choice of finding cheap used scrubs goes down to about 0.

Also if you cornerweight your car and lower/allign it, you would most likely be doing that on the 18" race set up, so when you switch back to 19" you may have rubbing or allignment issues. If you stay 19" for both applications, The ride height/gap/allignment won't be that far off from the track tires.

I think it is a toss up really, both options have been done here succesfully. Just beware of that computer. I have heard stories on the C6Z forum where a small differences in tire heights (same size rim) threw the computer off and put the car into a disabled mode.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:23 AM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your choices are limited when it comes to 19"s. I'd recommend you go with an 18" square set up.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 AM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Don't know about the tire monitor operating system on the 2011's, but my 2008 gave me problems with the tire monitor and was shutting everything down when i tried the 18x10.5's with no sensors. I would recommend putting a set of tire sensors in what ever wheels you use.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:38 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmccreary
Your choices are limited when it comes to 19"s. I'd recommend you go with an 18" square set up.
He's got a good point, the only tires I know available are Hoosier and Pilot Cups in 19", both which are pricey. I also recommend you upsize and go with 345's in the rear regardless of 18 or 19. You can really put the power down much better.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:47 PM
Nick996
Pro

Thanks guys.... lots of great information.

My plan was to get another set of OEM GS wheels with TPMS all around but I will look into 18" wheels as well.

Sucks that there are not good options for 19's which makes me want to look at 18's even more.

Would the computer issues with going with 18's have anything to do with the diameter of the wheels/tires being off by more than 3%? I wouldn't see why the electronics would care if the wheels/tires were 18" or 19" as long as the rolling diameter stays within OEM tolerances. If they were too small I could see the computer having issues with that since it controls the ABS, TC and speedo.

Cost is an issue but at the same time if the setup was good I'd probably get a good 18-24 months out of a set since they would only be used for the track and I wouldn't really be driving far on them.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:06 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick996
My plan was to get another set of OEM GS wheels with TPMS all around ...l.
That's the approach I took and put a set of RE-11's on them. The factory wheel/tires are in storage for re-sale. A used set of base wheels can be scored of $300 and less. Used TPMS are OK also.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:46 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick996

Would the computer issues with going with 18's have anything to do with the diameter of the wheels/tires being off by more than 3%? I wouldn't see why the electronics would care if the wheels/tires were 18" or 19" as long as the rolling diameter stays within OEM tolerances. If they were too small I could see the computer having issues with that since it controls the ABS, TC and speedo.
My 295/30/18 (25.1") and 335/30/18 (26") Toyo R888s work fine with TPMS, ABS, active handling, and all....

I've heard you want rougly 1" difference front/rear. Stock 275/35/18s (25.6") and 325/30/19s (26.7") differ by 1.1"
Old 08-04-2011, 11:08 PM
mikefili
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can't use the Toyo set up on a GS or ZO6 with stock wheels, too small. I use a stock set wheels with Hoosiers, 275 and 345, great setup, I do know that the chance of getting scrubs in those sizes are slim, scrubs are a big unknown relating to heat cycles, remember that is the limiting factor for us. Best thing is to buy new fresh Hoosiers if you can swing them, I beiieve new Tires are more consistant and cheaper in the long rum, tires that are heat cycled out have no grip. You must be sure to use TPMS sensors in the wheels.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Nick996
Pro

Originally Posted by Rob Willis
My 295/30/18 (25.1") and 335/30/18 (26") Toyo R888s work fine with TPMS, ABS, active handling, and all....

I've heard you want rougly 1" difference front/rear. Stock 275/35/18s (25.6") and 325/30/19s (26.7") differ by 1.1"
What are the offsets of your track wheels? I think I'll go this route and look around for proper wheels.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:59 PM
Nick996
Pro

Okay... I came upon a great deal for used Z06 wheels so I need 18" and 19" tires.

I'm thinking about just putting my Gen2 F1's on my track wheels and buy better street tires. Burn through my F1's and then decide what track tires to get.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:52 PM
andy3101
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can recommend two tires... Both are michelin tires.. The PS2 tire for the street is unbeatable... I have been caught in hurricane type force rain where everyone on the hwy is going 25 mph and I feel comfortable with the PS2's at normal 50-60 mph speeds in that heavy rain... These are also the same tires that are run at level one Ron Fellows school out in Vegas... So dry grip is really exceptional as well... (my tires are stock sizes, 275 and 325) (18,19)

For the track, I am running the michelin pilot sport Cup tires... Sizes 285 and 345..(18,19) These tires are great tires to drive to and from the track with... On the way to the track I was caught in some rain and I did have to slow down more than I would have for the PS2 tire, but still felt comfortable... As for the traction on the track, these tires were exceptional.. Once again, these are the tires the Ron Fellows driving school is using with their level 2 and level 3 courses...

I recommend using tire sensors... Less of a headache with the active handling and comp mode when using them.

I can say the Gen2 goodyear tire is a better tire than the Gen 1, but when tested at the Ron Fellows school, the Michelin was significantly faster. If I were you I would use up the Goodyear on the street and invest in a set of Pilot Sport CUP tires..

Sounds like a R6 or A6 hoosier slick is out of the question since you have to drive the car to and from the track..

I am sure there will be other opinions and good luck with your decision.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Nick996
Pro

Originally Posted by andy3101
I can recommend two tires... Both are michelin tires.. The PS2 tire for the street is unbeatable... I have been caught in hurricane type force rain where everyone on the hwy is going 25 mph and I feel comfortable with the PS2's at normal 50-60 mph speeds in that heavy rain... These are also the same tires that are run at level one Ron Fellows school out in Vegas... So dry grip is really exceptional as well... (my tires are stock sizes, 275 and 325) (18,19)

For the track, I am running the michelin pilot sport Cup tires... Sizes 285 and 345..(18,19) These tires are great tires to drive to and from the track with... On the way to the track I was caught in some rain and I did have to slow down more than I would have for the PS2 tire, but still felt comfortable... As for the traction on the track, these tires were exceptional.. Once again, these are the tires the Ron Fellows driving school is using with their level 2 and level 3 courses...

I recommend using tire sensors... Less of a headache with the active handling and comp mode when using them.

I can say the Gen2 goodyear tire is a better tire than the Gen 1, but when tested at the Ron Fellows school, the Michelin was significantly faster. If I were you I would use up the Goodyear on the street and invest in a set of Pilot Sport CUP tires..

Sounds like a R6 or A6 hoosier slick is out of the question since you have to drive the car to and from the track..

I am sure there will be other opinions and good luck with your decision.
Thanks! I've spent more time than I care to admit looking for Z06 sized track tires with no luck. I guess tire companies don't feel there are enough of us who track and want tires other than racing slicks.

Looks like I'll get PS Cup tires.

Get notified of new replies

To Long time track guy, first time vette owner with a few questions.....

Quick Reply: Long time track guy, first time vette owner with a few questions.....