Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to my first track day @ Waterford

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 11:49 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Default Going to my first track day @ Waterford

I signed up for the Cauley track day at Waterford August 12th. Anyone else going? What should I expect? What prep should I do on my car? I think getting a good night sleep might be the biggest problem.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:14 PM
throwit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure your tires, brakes, and fluids are in good shape. Ensure nothing is loose in or on the car. Expect to have fun and do not approach your first event with expectations of going really fast...expect to learn. Please be sure to listen to your instructors and follow their advice, on track and in class. Do not get discouraged when you make mistakes...we all do...its all a matter of experience. Over time you will learn your car, the track, and the correct techniques to make your car go around the track in a quick and safe manner. All in all, approach it with an open mind and enjoy it!
Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy C-6
I signed up for the Cauley track day at Waterford August 12th. Anyone else going? What should I expect? What prep should I do on my car? I think getting a good night sleep might be the biggest problem.
Be careful exiting "swamp turn" onto the pit straight. Many have lost it and hit the pit wall there. The rest of the track is quite safe......tight, but safe. It is not complicated and not hard on brakes. Have fun
Old 08-04-2011, 01:59 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You should expect to be broke for the rest of your life buying track time and car parts. This is an addiction...but there is nothing like it unless you happen to be able to fly fighter jets.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:03 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Oh No looks like another expensive hobby. I'm already a tournament skeet shooter. The organizers told me to change my oil and add an extra quart. Is this right?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:10 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Be careful exiting "swamp turn" onto the pit straight. Many have lost it and hit the pit wall there. The rest of the track is quite safe......tight, but safe. It is not complicated and not hard on brakes. Have fun
Also take care into/out of Hilltop.

It's a fun track.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:31 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

At the advice of others in the know, for my 1st event (VIR), changed all fluids (oil, tranny MN6, rear,brake and clutch), also replaced pads (probably over did it for my 1st event, but put on Hawk HPS+), I also added metal end links and poly sway bar bushings (just cause), make sure tires are good (no baldies) and most importantly - check ego at the gate!!!
Of course as throwit already stated, listen to the direction of your instructor as for me on my first run I had the feeling like I didn't know how to drive (at all)....
I still have a big azz smile on my face whenever I think of it and am scheduling to go again...

Have fun and be safe...
Old 08-04-2011, 10:27 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
You should expect to be broke for the rest of your life buying track time and car parts. This is an addiction...but there is nothing like it unless you happen to be able to fly fighter jets.
And that is the God's honest truth and sums it all up. I just did my first track days this past weekend. Was really quite nervous the first few sessions. Then started to understand what I needed to do. You will find it is a lot harder than it looks. By the end of the second day I was getting faster and smoother but still nothing like my instructor. He took me out in his spec Miata and made my Z look like a Toyota...damn could that thing rip through corners and he made it look like brushing your teeth, easy, smooth like he was out for a Sunday drive.

Jay
Old 08-04-2011, 10:30 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy C-6
Oh No looks like another expensive hobby. I'm already a tournament skeet shooter. The organizers told me to change my oil and add an extra quart. Is this right?
Yes, you will want extra oil in the tank to compensate for Gs in the turns and the fact engines tend to burn off some oil when running them hard (although mine did not seem to burn any at all the entire weekend).

If you don't do anything else, change out the brake fluid for some high temp stuff like Motul 600 and check your pads.

It is fun as hell and afterwards you are going to start thinking about things to do to your car. For the past two days at work I've done nothing but make a list of stuff I want to mod or change and that list is quickly approaching the price of another car

Jay
Old 08-04-2011, 10:31 PM
68sixspeed
Melting Slicks

Received 154 Likes on 114 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

man you had me worried! out here in CT "waterford" is a 3/8 mile oval! Glad that isn't where you are taking a vette! (took me a second to read your location!)
Old 08-04-2011, 11:06 PM
whatcop?
Le Mans Master

Location: Daytona Beach/ Atlanta---- Good Ol' Florida Boy/ Georgia
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by crease-guard
Yes, you will want extra oil in the tank to compensate for Gs in the turns and the fact engines tend to burn off some oil when running them hard (although mine did not seem to burn any at all the entire weekend).

If you don't do anything else, change out the brake fluid for some high temp stuff like Motul 600 and check your pads.

It is fun as hell and afterwards you are going to start thinking about things to do to your car. For the past two days at work I've done nothing but make a list of stuff I want to mod or change and that list is quickly approaching the price of another car

Jay

You don't want to run extra oil in a Z.
Old 08-05-2011, 09:47 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Some more helpful advice:

Obvious stuff often gets forgotten, your day will be pretty busy once you get there. Bring and drink lots of water, you need to be alert. Check your tire pressures and your lug nut torque before every session, it only takes 5 minutes. I've seen a wheel come off on track and you can really mess up the car, or worse.

If you can get an instructor, do so. Put any pre-conceptions aside about how good or bad a driver you are, this is a whole new world. You'll probably pick it up fine, but if you dont memorize the course right away don't get discouraged.

Do not worry about the guy behind you! You'll probably have a mix of skill and cars in your group, and often beginners get nervous when someone gets behind them. Don't worry that you're holding him up, just make sure you let a faster car by at the appropriate time so that you can expect the same when you're the faster guy.

And it always needs to be said - have fun!
Old 08-05-2011, 09:49 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

And if you get hooked, aside from safety equipment, don't mod your car until you have lots of track days. All that does is make it harder to get the most of it, the Z is a helluva car right out of the box. Once you're rolling you won't have any trouble being faster than all but the best cars out there.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:01 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

I went to this event last year. The Cauley track day is very much aimed toward beginners. There will be an extensive driver's meeting in the morning, probably led by Danny Kellermeyer with support from Jeff and Joe Cauley, in which they'll discuss basic driving technique as well as going over the track layout and areas to watch out for. The meeting will likely be followed by a lead-follow session during which the group will play leap-frog to get a chance to get behind the leader to see the correct line.

Drive at your own pace and don't exceed any limits of your comfort. I suspect most will be novices so I wouldn't expect any great speed differential between yourself and the others in your group. I ran in the advanced group last year, and there were several that probably belonged in a lower group, they didn't watch their mirrors and held up traffic.

Given the experience level of those around you, don't follow anyone too close; if you want to pass someone give them space but be close enough down the hill so that by the time you're at the straight they know you are there and want to get by. If you get stuck behind someone who isn't paying attention to you behind them, pull into the pits and give the starter a signal that you want space.

I'd like to go again this year, but can't afford it right now.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I'm not sure where the idea came from that I have a Z, (I only whish) so I guess an extra quart of oil goes in along with new brake and clutch fluid.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:09 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

You need to talk to Danny Kellermeyer. Look for the big DJ Race trailer. Do everything he says. If you have a good time and intend to go back give him your car for a week. It'll be the best money you ever spent.

Richard Newton
Newton's Law in Vintage Motorsport Magazine
Old 08-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Danny is actually going to be one of the instructors!

Get notified of new replies

To Going to my first track day @ Waterford

Old 08-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Also Joe and Jeff Cauley.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:23 PM
69autoXr
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

can't ask for a better bunch of guys to learn from at waterford
Old 08-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Jimmy C-6
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Funny you should say that. I patient of mine was just in and he races Porsches and he said to be very carefull there. He said he has rarelly seen a day when someone did not hit the wall, especially driver training days. OH SH**. Just what I need, to come home with a crushed car and no coverage for it.

Quick Reply: Going to my first track day @ Waterford