Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling upgrade - input needed please ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 02:50 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling upgrade - input needed please ASAP

Alright guys I need some input on which choice i should go with. I run a 505rwhp LS2 n/a 6.6L stroker. The oil was running up to like 275 or 280 in Feb and march after the upgrades, but the coolant was down around 210-215 max. I also had the radiator fan on my stock on crap out cause it sucked up a lot of plastic somehow and i think the motor burned out.

Please let me know which way i should go.

Option 1) DeWitts A05AE radiator with built in EOC and TOC coolers with the SPAL dual fan upgrade. Cheapest but I am not sure the effectiveness of the built-in EOC in the radiator.

Option 2) DeWitts A05A (with dual fan) with only the TOC cooler built it and then something like a Setrab 625 or 619 external oil cooler running seperate from everything.

Option 3) DeWitts A05AE (with dual fan) with both EOC and TOC and run the external cooler in tandem with the integraded EOC.

Pros:

Option 1) Probalby the quickest and cheapest install and very reliable.

Option 2) This one sounds like the one i am leaning towards. Everything is seperate so less pressure loss for the oil as opposed running in tandem with the built in EOC, the radiator is only cooling the Trans fluid and the coolant, no oil to heat it up.

Option 3) Double cooling on the oil, possibly easier to return to stock if needed, and keeps most of the same lines just adds one up to the front to the cooler from the radiator

Cons:

Options 1) May not be efficient enough to cool the oil properly, especially in the Texas Heat, I.E. the 100 degree streak we have running in Dallas right now.

Option 2) Seeing minimal cons here, but if i don't run an oil thermostat I worry about the winter as its a daily driver. Its only texas winters, but i don't want it running too cold.

Option 3) more lines and fittings give more chances for leaks. The radiator may be less efficient as its got warm oil running through it still and the hot air from the oil cooler in front.

My other big question, I hear mixed things. Yes / No on an oil thermostat.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:09 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

All in one will do the job, but your oil will not run as cool as running it separate. In an ideal world, I'd go with everything integrated except for oil.....in reality I'd probably just run them all together.

Depends a lot on how hard and how LONG you run your sessions.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:45 PM
throwit
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Dave, its likely best to run a separate oil cooler...with that said...I run a ron davis with built in EOC and have been happy with it.

You may also consider testing with different oils. According to some, using certain motor oils (brand and weight) can help reduce temps and increase protection. A couple of brands which come to mind are the Amsoil Dominator and Royal Purple XPR series...

Good luck
Old 08-04-2011, 05:25 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

When i go back to the track i will be looking to run a race oil in my motor so that is some good advice i keep hearing about. high zinc to help with wear.

As for the cooling set up I was to leaning towards the seperate oil cooler so i don't have too much pressure drop between running in both coolers.

It seems that my radiator I want is hard to get a hold of right now. Kinda of a pain as i don't want to buy the stock fan, when the dual fan that goes with the DeWitts is is only $100 more than the stock set up. Seems like i might be waiting on the DeWitts to get back in stock.

I've seen Pumba who ran the Setrab 172 oil cooler sideways and the ive seen Doug Rippie who sells the 619 for street/track & the 625 for the track only vehicles. I am thinking the 619 or thw 625 are my hopeful choices so they are top fed not side fed.

Anyone have any thoughts on the thermostat idea. It is Texas but id rather install it now than do it later on.
Old 08-04-2011, 10:36 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried just about every setup available and was still having high oil temps. The coolers that provided cooling that was barely adequate were a pain to fit in the car properly, and the ones that fit didn't cool very well.
I decided to develop one that functions properly (substantially outperformed the Setrab), fits on the stock C6Z mounting points, and works with the stock cooling lines or any aftermarket AN setup. Here's what it looks like:

Old 08-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are running hard in Texas heat you will wish you had an EOC if you don't go that route. No need for two coolers, just get a big one (Setrab 625 or similar). Run water and wetter in a big radiator. Tape the air deflector in place (C5) so it doesn't bend down in the wind. Just cover the cooler with cardboard and tape or aluminum and you will be fine in the winter - works for me here in Denver. No need for fans on the track. With this setup and Mobil 1 10W-30, I run max of 235F water and 241F oil on a 95 day - very hard driving for 50 minutes straight.

Last edited by Z06trackman; 08-05-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:12 AM
gmccreary
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06trackman
If you are running hard in Texas heat you will wish you had an EOC if you don't go that route. No need for two coolers, just get a big one (Setrab 625 or similar). Run water and wetter in a big radiator. Tape the air deflector in place (C5) so it doesn't bend down in the wind. Just cover the cooler with cardboard and tape or aluminum and you will be fine in the winter - works for me here in Denver. No need for fans on the track. With this setup and Mobil 1 10W-30, I run 225F water and 235F oil on a 95 day - very hard driving for 50 minutes straight.
I have the Setrab 625 and Dewitt's C5 radiator on my 01 C5Z. Works great in the heat of the Southeast
Old 08-05-2011, 10:51 AM
LeMans05C6
Pro

I think the Setrab 625 is the way to go as well with these temps in Texas and the big disparity between my coolant and oil temps, i need something dedicated to the oil. I wondered about the thermostat but ive heard of people just wrapping the cooler in the winter. One less fitting or new item that could go wrong is probably the way to go. Especially when i am going to be stressing the system.
Z06trackman - good news on the temps your ran during a LONG session. I hope that when i get it mine stables out around your temps. If i can do that i will be good to go.

What pressures do you see when your running a 50 min session (highs and lows im mostly curious about) any idea your highest RPM pressure or what its at idle ones the oil is warm.

As for the fan i need to replace the motor and unless i find a used fan motor, i may as well do the dual fan replacement instead of the stock single for only $100 more. I need some type of fan back there, may as well do the upgrade.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:59 PM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I updated the temps in my previous post after looking at my notes. They are a bit higher than I previously stated, but still good on oil. I would like the water a little cooler, though. Keep in mind, here in Colorado, 95 F means 15% humidity, so there isn't much heat capacity in the air compared to normal humid climates; we struggle here more with cooling. My pressures at idle is 25 or so psi with Mobil 1 10W-30 at temp.

Last edited by Z06trackman; 08-22-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:48 PM
LeMans05C6
Pro

Well guys the parts are on the way.

I went with the DeWitts A05A radiator with only the TOC cooler in it. Did go with the SPAL dual fan kit from them as well so that should keep the air flowing when i am standing still now. I wanted to keep pressure as high as possible so i figured only running the oil through one cooler was best.

Next choice was the oil cooler. Went with the Setrab 619. 619 seemed to be the best one as its a daily driver and still allow airflow to the condensor and radiator. The measurements show the cooler to be about the size of a 8x11 sheet of paper (hamburber style for those with that elementary school reference ) with about 2.5" cut off the top. Pretty wide so it should do the trick to keep it cool on the track.

Also went with the Mocal AOTGM oil takeoff thermostat. The shop I having doing the work was going to use the LPE one so they could run the -10 fittings, this one does the same but has the thermstatic control in there which i feel much better about since even in texas we still have somewhat of a winter. I didn't want to do the cardboard cover if i don't have to.

When its all done i should be able to handle the texas heat and whatever my track days can throw at it. And still drive it around town every day!

Just need DeWitts to ship the radiator. That may be another week since the side tanks are on a bit of backorder. hope those come in soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling upgrade - input needed please ASAP

Quick Reply: Cooling upgrade - input needed please ASAP