Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sparco evo 2 plus seats in a c5z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 07:04 PM
diddiyo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sparco evo 2 plus seats in a c5z06

hi all,

i've had my (stock) c5z06 for about four months now. i pretty much drive it daily in the summer. three trackdays and some spirited driving on new jersey's backroads later i have decided i'd like to get better seats. when i go into a corner it feels like i'm holding on to the steering wheel just so i don't fall out of the seat. i don't think that's what it's meant for.

so today I went to my local racing shop and sat in some seats. i'm about 6.1, 185 lbs. the seating position of my stock seats is as low as possible and all the way back, but fairly straight up. otherwise i hit the steering wheel with my knees while shifting.

i liked the sparco evo 2 plus a lot. i was told they put a set in a c5 before and didn't run into any major clearance issues. I have read all kids of threads about fitment issues of the sparco evo 2 / plus seats, others say it fits just fine. some of the threads i read were a couple of years old so I figured maybe by now there are some new, improved seat rails and what-not that make the seats a better fit for the c5z06.

i was looking at sparco's seat dimension guide and was surprised to see that in some areas the evo 2 plus is actually smaller than the evo 2. the shoulders width of the evo 2 plus is only 23" compared to the evo 2's 23.6. the base width is also a bit narrower, 20.3 compared to 21.

i specifically asked them if it is possible to run a dual setup, stock seatbelts for the street and a harness for the track and they said that's no problem. i do not have a hardbar / hardness yet but i'm planning on getting one for next year.

what is your take on all of this? your help is much appreciated!

Last edited by diddiyo; 08-10-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a EVO 2 plus in my C5Z using a Sparco base and no sliders (for helmet clearance). At 6-1, you may not need the 2 plus tho.
No big issues with the install, but ingress/egress is a bit much for a DD. btw, i couldn't get it to fit using a hard bar mount...prolly my fault.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:04 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

I have Evo2 plus's in a C6-Z06 and they are fine. I used the Pfadt mounts and they have off set side mounts for both the drivers side and passenger side. You can not use Sparco stock side mounts because you need to off set the seat on the sliders or floor mounts. Arizen has mounts that will handle the problem, they have slots that are long enough to be able to off set the seat. JD
Old 08-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by diddiyo
hi all,

i've had my (stock) c5z06 for about four months now. i pretty much drive it daily in the summer. three trackdays and some spirited driving on new jersey's backroads later i have decided i'd like to get better seats. when i go into a corner it feels like i'm holding on to the steering wheel just so i don't fall out of the seat. i don't think that's what it's meant for.

so today I went to my local racing shop and sat in some seats. i'm about 6.01, 185 lbs. the seating position of my stock seats is as low as possible and all the way back, but fairly straight up. otherwise i hit the steering wheel with my knees while shifting.

i liked the sparco evo 2 plus a lot. i was told they put a set in a c5 before and didn't run into any major clearance issues. I have read all kids of threads about fitment issues of the sparco evo 2 / plus seats, others say it fits just fine. some of the threads i read were a couple of years old so I figured maybe by now there are some new, improved seat rails and what-not that make the seats a better fit for the c5z06.

i was looking at sparco's seat dimension guide and was surprised to see that in some areas the evo 2 plus is actually smaller than the evo 2. the shoulders width of the evo 2 plus is only 23" compared to the evo 2's 23.6. the base width is also a bit narrower, 20.3 compared to 21.

i specifically asked them if it is possible to run a dual setup, stock seatbelts for the street and a harness for the track and they said that's no problem. i do not have a hardbar / hardness yet but i'm planning on getting one for next year.

what is your take on all of this? your help is much appreciated!
I just installed an EVO 2 Plus in my C5 Z06 racecar. It's installed on frame rails and sits as low as possible, in fact, the rear part of bottom is touching the floor.

I'm 6'2" and used to weigh 185, but that was 20 years ago, now it's more like 210. The seat fits fine, and I never have a problem with my knees hitting or anything else.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:27 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
I just installed an EVO 2 Plus in my C5 Z06 racecar. It's installed on frame rails and sits as low as possible, in fact, the rear part of bottom is touching the floor.

I'm 6'2" and used to weigh 185, but that was 20 years ago, now it's more like 210. The seat fits fine, and I never have a problem with my knees hitting or anything else.
Isn't that true....................for us ALL

Garrett
Old 08-10-2011, 10:10 AM
racer313g
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pictures of my Evo 2 install here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...d-c5-help.html
Old 08-10-2011, 11:36 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A little trick, in case you don't know it, to help keep you in your seat -- if you pull the lap part of the belt all the way out and release it back slowly, it will lock down and not pull back out. So you can snug it down nice and tight across your lap and it will hold your butt in place. After you release the buckle and allow the belt to retract all the way, it will pull out again. But this allows you to lock down the lap belt for added hold when driving agressively.

Hope that helps. Plus, it's a lot cheaper than a whole new set of seats.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:42 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

p.s. I have a Bray-Krause harness bar in my '04 Z06, with Caravaggio seats. I use the stock seat belt for the street, and I have a 6-point Sabelt harness for the track. They both work great. Just remember, don't use your racing harness on the street. First of all, you can get a ticket. Second, it's not meant for that and not DOT approved for street use.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:24 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If it helps im located just outside of philly and have Sparco Evo 2's installed. Drivers side on adjustable rail, passender on hardbar rail, but I remove the factory seatbelt for ease. PM if you need help

Get notified of new replies

To sparco evo 2 plus seats in a c5z06

Quick Reply: sparco evo 2 plus seats in a c5z06