Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need diagnostics

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 07:54 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default I need diagnostics

took my car to NCCAR saturday..drove right up to the line and took off..before the first turn it went into limp mode...then stopped all together..found the fuse blown for the fuel pump..new fuse,fired right up second try same thing,limp mode first time I got close to full throttle..only difference it ran,Idled< all the way around and fuse wasn't blown...who in the spartanburg charlotte area is competent to assst me??runs great sitting still...

thanks ,
Johnny haskell
Old 08-14-2011, 08:29 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by racerwannabe
took my car to NCCAR saturday..drove right up to the line and took off..before the first turn it went into limp mode...then stopped all together..found the fuse blown for the fuel pump..new fuse,fired right up second try same thing,limp mode first time I got close to full throttle..only difference it ran,Idled< all the way around and fuse wasn't blown...who in the spartanburg charlotte area is competent to assst me??runs great sitting still...

thanks ,
Johnny haskell
Johnnie, you'll probalby need to put it on a dyno to replicate the problem. Call Heinz Performance (used to be Williams Performance) in Mooresville, they have a dyno and know these cars pretty well.

704-658-2302
Old 08-14-2011, 09:35 PM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

blown fuse is either an overloaded or shorted circuit. I would run a new wire from a fuse to the fuel pump as a troubleshooting tool. How old is the fuel pump? Is it a stock pump? How does the car run at autocross? Give me a call and we can talk about it. My T1 car had a pushed pin going into the ECU that would make contact everywhere but on the track. That was a bitch to find.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:14 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Falcon,,heinze told me straight up they won't work on my car.. I think the pump may have a problem..it was installed by Rippie in 2005..seems odd to me that it ran on the dyno ,then quit on the track..Maybe something is trying to tell me something???
thanks for the input...
Old 08-15-2011, 01:15 AM
exracer28
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

With a bit of luck while on the dyno the car is not moving, fuel is not trying to move around in the tank. Even the wire harness moves when you are on the track. Try a standing drag start up to third gear. If it does not miss then it sounds like it might be related to side loading. Check the harness real close for poor connections or cuts/nicks. I do have an old shade tree and we can fix anything with duct tape, a hammer and wire. Bring it on down and we will test at Barber over labor day weekend. Friday is test day and if we can't get it up and going Hinson is real close to my house. We might let it ride in a red trailer to make it feel at home.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:30 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by racerwannabe

thanks ,
Johnny haskell
If this is a C5 this is a common problem. It may be the same for a C6 but I'm not sure.
The wires for the fuel pump rub and short out to the frame.
From under the car if you look up beside the back of the tank on the drivers side you will see a hole and pass through over the top of the frame. The fuel fill hose and vent hose come through there. Also it is near where the balance pipe from the passenger tank is.
You will see a bundle of wires coming out of there. They get pinched and rub on the frame there. This causes an intermittent short which will either be a high impedance short which will drag down the fuel pump voltage resulting in low fuel pressure or a low impedance short which will blow the fuse. As a temporary fix you can just move them around and try to get some cardboard or paper up there to isolate them from the frame. I had to do this at the track last year.
The permanent fix is to drop the tank, repair the wires and then put split loom or some other type of wire protector where they cross over the frame.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:52 PM
racerwannabe
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Thanks for the tips ,guys..will start on it right away

Johnny

Get notified of new replies

To I need diagnostics

Quick Reply: I need diagnostics