Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA Mid Ohio Race results....

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 11:07 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default NASA Mid Ohio Race results....

Looks like it was a close race in ST-2. Congratulations to James Forbis for the win in Saturday's race. Looks like the others were very close behind.

Congratualtion to Mike Edmonson for his win in ST-1!

What's the deal with Sunday's results? There were qualifying positions for Sunday's race but no times posted on mylaps. The race results from Sunday's race still aren't posted.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:39 AM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Not sure, but Winchester got the pole and went out on Rains, never rained so he slowly dropped back, Forbis went home as did many others. Alex got the lead on the start and never looked back.

Times this weekend were smoking.. there were 4 cars in the 1:31s in TTS on Sat including a 1:31.108 and The pole in ST2 was a 1:31.xxx on both days. There was some great racing this weekend and I was hoping for another great one on Sun but many were scared away by the rain. We did loss one TTS/ST2 car when Sawtelle had some contact with a wall on the front straight, he is OK but not so sure about the car. I really feel for him as this is the second year in a row he needed repairs right before Nationals.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:42 AM
stairman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jody!

not sure about Sunday. It was raining off and on all morning. It was raining for qualifying so I sat in the garage and watched, which was stopped on the first lap when Sawtell tried to knock down the pit wall. Glad to see Geff was ok. After that I packed up and left as more rain was coming.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:10 PM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by stairman
Thanks Jody!

not sure about Sunday. It was raining off and on all morning. It was raining for qualifying so I sat in the garage and watched, which was stopped on the first lap when Sawtell tried to knock down the pit wall. Glad to see Geff was ok. After that I packed up and left as more rain was coming.
Stayed in the pits? I was shocked last year at how slick that place was in the rain. Don't blame you.
That sucks about Sawtell.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:48 PM
stairman
Racer

Originally Posted by John B
Stayed in the pits? I was shocked last year at how slick that place was in the rain. Don't blame you.
That sucks about Sawtell.
John
this weekend was even worse, with the huge amount of rubber that had been put down over 3 great days of weather, if you sneezed on the track it was loose.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Received 1,722 Likes on 931 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by L98Terror
Not sure, but Winchester got the pole and went out on Rains, never rained so he slowly dropped back, Forbis went home as did many others. Alex got the lead on the start and never looked back.

Times this weekend were smoking.. there were 4 cars in the 1:31s in TTS on Sat including a 1:31.108 and The pole in ST2 was a 1:31.xxx on both days. There was some great racing this weekend and I was hoping for another great one on Sun but many were scared away by the rain. We did loss one TTS/ST2 car when Sawtelle had some contact with a wall on the front straight, he is OK but not so sure about the car. I really feel for him as this is the second year in a row he needed repairs right before Nationals.
Here are some pictures I took of Sawtelle's car afterward. He MOVED 4 concrete barriers on the front straight. I was in the infield when it happened, I didnt see it but I saw him walk away from the car after.

Also, I believe Rory broke his own TTA track record on Sunday after Nathan (blue EVO) broke it on Saturday. Congrats Rory!

Last edited by Kubs; 08-15-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:21 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

that sucks, I imagine the front rails are pushed back/bent. that will not be a fun fix with a 3 week time frame
Old 08-15-2011, 01:41 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Kubs
Also, I believe Rory broke his own TTA record on Sunday after Nathan (blue EVO) broke it on Saturday.
Personal best or track record?
Old 08-15-2011, 01:55 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Personal best or track record?
Regional track records were set in TTS and TTA.. Track was stoopid fast , best conditions I have seen since attending NASA events @ Mid-Ohio myself. Hell even a "street" car with no aero turned a 1:27 before it ended up in the kitty litter the next lap DQ'ing the time .
Old 08-15-2011, 02:12 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Regional track records were set in TTS and TTA.. .
and TTB!
I think I left at least one second on the table. Still getting used to the track and the generous A6 grip level.

Great event! Great to meet everyone! Sorry to see Geoff's weekend end like that...
Old 08-15-2011, 02:14 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It was a mixed bag for us at Corvette Sports.

Obviously Jeff's incident was terrible, but we are glad he is ok. I saw him spin in my mirror and when the black flag came out, I was just hopeful that he didn't get t-boned. The car is pretty bad off, but again just happy Geff is ok.

Rory kicked some butt and gave CSI a new track record!

For Sunday's ST2 race we started based on our practice times and yeah, for whatever reason a bunch of people packed up, so it was a small group for Thunder. There were still 5 or 6 ST2 cars and a few ST1 and SU cars. We had rains on and had the car fueled accordingly for a rain race with the probability of some safety car action. With 15 minutes to go, the radar was showing signs that is was going to stop raining for the day, so we put dry's back on. From the green to turn one, I went from 2nd in ST2 and 8th overall to 2nd overall behind an SU car, which I eventually passed on the opening lap, but he got around me again. I pounded out laps as hard as I could as it started to drizzle again and I wanted the gap to the 2nd place Subie as much as possible. Joel told me I had about a half a lap on him with 8 minutes to go and said I should start short shifting as we never put fuel in for a dry race... I saw i had two notches above empty left and told him to stop worrying - wrong choice! About 4 laps later I was approaching E quickly and now following a H2 honda Civic around to save fuel! White flag and Joel told me to get going again as the Subie was 10 seconds behind me... I let him get to my bumper at the carousel and then dropped the hammer to take the checkered... I ran out of fuel on my cool down lap! It was my 2nd weekend at Mid-Ohio, so I am pleased - Joel and the CSI boys did a great job and gave us great equipment to pilot! Looking forward to next month and will be doing the rain dance everyday until then! With my stock LS2 approaching 7000 miles, I would like to use it less than I need to! ;-)

Last edited by clubracer6; 08-15-2011 at 04:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-15-2011, 02:32 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
and TTB!
I think I left at least one second on the table. Still getting used to the track and the generous A6 grip level.

Great event! Great to meet everyone! Sorry to see Geoff's weekend end like that...
I meant to stop by and say hi but you were never at your car when I walked by! Maybe at Nationals. Nice job on the record.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:34 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by clubracer6
I ran out of fuel on my cool down lap!
I wondered what happened. I stopped watching after the checkered and then saw you getting towed in. I figured it was fuel since the car looked OK.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:39 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was a mixed back for us at Corvette Sports.

Obviously Jeff's incident was terrible, but we are glad he is ok. I saw him spin in my mirror and when the black flag came out, I was just hopeful that he didn't get t-boned. The car is pretty bad off, but again just happy Geff is ok.

Rory kicked some butt and gave CSI a new track record!

For Sunday's ST2 race we started based on our practice times and yeah, for whatever reason a bunch of people packed up, so it was a small group for Thunder. There were still 5 or 6 ST2 cars and a few ST1 and SU cars. We had rains on and had the car fueled accordingly for a rain race with the probability of some safety car action. With 15 minutes to go, the radar was showing signs that is was going to stop raining for the day, so we put dry's back on. From the green to turn one, I went from 2nd in ST2 and 8th overall to 2nd overall behind an SU car, which I eventually passed on the opening lap, but he got around me again. I pounded out laps as hard as I could as it started to drizzle again and I wanted the gap to the 2nd place Subie as much as possible. Joel told me I had about a half a lap on him with 8 minutes to go and said I should start short shifting as we never put fuel in for a dry race... I saw i had two notches above empty left and told him to stop worrying - wrong choice! About 4 laps later I was approaching E quickly and now following a H2 honda Civic around to save fuel! White flag and Joel told me to get going again as the Subie was 10 seconds behind me... I let him get to my bumper at the carousel and then dropped the hammer to take the checkered... I ran out of fuel on my cool down lap! It was my 2nd weekend at Mid-Ohio, so I am pleased - Joel and the CSI boys did a great job and gave us great equipment to pilot! Looking forward to next month and will be doing the rain dance everyday until then! With my stock LS2 approaching 7000 miles, I would like to use it less than I need to! ;-)
Awesome job yesterday buddy, we were pulling for you...Really cool to see you pass the SU car early.....that thing should be alot faster than it is after studying it yesterday with its owners...

Alot of people did leave early yesterday which was a shame, the race conditions ended up not being as horrible as anticipated, and the ones that left missed the money round in TT too...

Saturdays ST2 race was a good one with the top 4 being something like ~5 seconds apart at the end. Should be a GREAT race next month. Maybe my ST1 car wll be fast enough to watch it unfold real time as I am lapping you no-power guys Anyone want to bribe for a timely bump-draft , spec miata style

Forgot you Ben in TTB......nice job !!!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:00 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Awesome job yesterday buddy, we were pulling for you...Really cool to see you pass the SU car early.....that thing should be alot faster than it is after studying it yesterday with its owners...

Alot of people did leave early yesterday which was a shame, the race conditions ended up not being as horrible as anticipated, and the ones that left missed the money round in TT too...

Saturdays ST2 race was a good one with the top 4 being something like ~5 seconds apart at the end. Should be a GREAT race next month. Maybe my ST1 car wll be fast enough to watch it unfold real time as I am lapping you no-power guys Anyone want to bribe for a timely bump-draft , spec miata style

Forgot you Ben in TTB......nice job !!!
thanks, that means a lot and yeah that green car is pretty wicked - he did get back around me and took off until it broke, which handed me the overall win.

I'd take you up on the bump draft, but someone got a one race suspension for that in July, which is something I have never seen happen, anywhere before.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:09 PM
PorscheBoy
Instructor

The corvettes dominated Mid O this weekend taking both ST2 wins and though only one ST1 win we all knew who was faster....

Geoff was okay but sore I'm sure today. I was in the pace car 20' away and saw it all.

Talbot ran like hell and never looked back Sunday as the dry set-up proved best. Once we pushed him across the scales and added some fuel for the dyno he carried the big trophy.

Results were uploaded druing the weekend but MyLaps had issues late yesterday so the late races did not get uploaded. They should be up tonight.

The LS powered SU Superlight set a new TR with a 1:26.916. Some guy set a GTS1 Track Record too.....

Next up...................................... ........................................ ........................
Old 08-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

It was a mixed back for us at Corvette Sports.
From mylaps, it looks like you were less than 1 second behind James.

Good racing!

Danny, why didn't you race, saving your ammo?

I didn't mean to leave all you TT guys out of the thread heading. Congratulations to all y'all, too!

Get notified of new replies

To NASA Mid Ohio Race results....

Old 08-15-2011, 04:31 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Falcon
From mylaps, it looks like you were less than 1 second behind James.!
Yeah, wait til you see the video - it was pretty close - I feel I just needed one more lap to get him. He said he had slowed down as to not get tangled up with some CMC guys and when he saw me coming he picked up the pace again.

Out of class racing is still a problem. In July it worked against me, this weekend it helped me out.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Kubs
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PorscheBoy
The corvettes dominated Mid O this weekend taking both ST2 wins and though only one ST1 win we all knew who was faster....

Geoff was okay but sore I'm sure today. I was in the pace car 20' away and saw it all.

Talbot ran like hell and never looked back Sunday as the dry set-up proved best. Once we pushed him across the scales and added some fuel for the dyno he carried the big trophy.

Results were uploaded druing the weekend but MyLaps had issues late yesterday so the late races did not get uploaded. They should be up tonight.

The LS powered SU Superlight set a new TR with a 1:26.916. Some guy set a GTS1 Track Record too.....

Next up...................................... ........................................ ........................
Even though its not in a Corvette congrats on the GTS1 record!
Old 08-15-2011, 09:03 PM
clubracer6
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAmin...=youtube_gdata

The opening lap of Sunday's race...

Quick Reply: NASA Mid Ohio Race results....