Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPM's on autocross only rims/tires ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:04 AM
GeneT
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TPM's on autocross only rims/tires ??

I just bought a set of stock rims to use just for autocrossing. I'm still debating the tire choice, but that isn't my question.
Should I buy TPM's for them ?? I'll be adjusting tire pressure during the 5-6 runs, and not using the TPM's for pressure values. I will be driving to/from the autocross on those rims/tires, about a 70 mile round trip.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:18 PM
andy3101
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can recommend getting sensors for you track wheels if you have a C6.. if you have a C5 I don't think you need the sensors as you can turn them off in the computer...

Maybe someone with a c5 can chime in here.

With the C6, the active handling is tied into the tire pressures, so if you don't use them on the C6, you can not use competition mode or be able to turn the whole system off. Even with the nanny system on, if there is no TPM's, the active handling kicks in way too soon..

hope that helps... and I know there are a few more threads out there on the subject..
Old 08-24-2011, 02:29 PM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by andy3101
I can recommend getting sensors for you track wheels if you have a C6.. if you have a C5 I don't think you need the sensors as you can turn them off in the computer...

Maybe someone with a c5 can chime in here.

With the C6, the active handling is tied into the tire pressures, so if you don't use them on the C6, you can not use competition mode or be able to turn the whole system off. Even with the nanny system on, if there is no TPM's, the active handling kicks in way too soon..

hope that helps... and I know there are a few more threads out there on the subject..
Sorry, but that's not correct re: C6. I have run without TPMs for 5 years on my autox/DE wheels driving to and from most events (even if out for a weekend) and always turn off AH/TC. The trick I use is to hold down the console button before starting the car and keep it down until the all-off message appears. You'll need to do this each time you start the car if you want them off.

Also, having TMPs in your race wheels means you also need to reprogram them to the car and then back again for your street wheels which requires a tool. See search.
--Dan
Old 08-24-2011, 03:21 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Dont need them. also harder to mount tires.

Just hit the reset button on the DIC when you see XXXX show up.

Some C6s can get away without them some C6s must have them. Depends on which or who you get to reprogram your computer
Old 08-24-2011, 06:17 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by dbratten
Sorry, but that's not correct re: C6. I have run without TPMs for 5 years on my autox/DE wheels driving to and from most events (even if out for a weekend) and always turn off AH/TC. The trick I use is to hold down the console button before starting the car and keep it down until the all-off message appears. You'll need to do this each time you start the car if you want them off.

Also, having TMPs in your race wheels means you also need to reprogram them to the car and then back again for your street wheels which requires a tool. See search.
--Dan
Can you run in Comp mode without TPM in your autox/DE wheels?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:04 AM
dbratten
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydirty
Can you run in Comp mode without TPM in your autox/DE wheels?
I've never tried so I don't know.
Old 08-28-2011, 09:55 PM
starkynuke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the OP's question too. Is there any way to test to see if my '05 C6 will need the TPMS or not (ie jack up car, take a wheel off, put it on the other side of garage, and then try to start her up while turning off AH/TC)?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:36 PM
andy3101
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by starkynuke
I had the OP's question too. Is there any way to test to see if my '05 C6 will need the TPMS or not (ie jack up car, take a wheel off, put it on the other side of garage, and then try to start her up while turning off AH/TC)?
The car will need to be driven without the sensors (i.e. other set of wheels without sensors) to test... You can go into comp mode for the first 15 miles or so, and then the tire light will come on the dash.. You will be able to enter comp mode or all handling off until the next time you use the car...

This has been my experience on a 07 z06... Others have different experiences with it, so you may have to do some testing.

You can find a buddy with a c6 and swap wheels and tires for a few days to see what happens with your car without the sensors.

Get notified of new replies

To TPM's on autocross only rims/tires ??

Quick Reply: TPM's on autocross only rims/tires ??