Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z51 Going Square

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 02:12 PM
starkynuke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C6 Z51 Going Square

I have a '05 Z51 that is currently on stock 18x9.5" & 19x10" rims. I'm looking to go 18" all the way around (although looking for a set of used ones hasn't been too productive). I'm up to HPDE3 and have done it on the Perelli Euphori@'s that it came with and I can say that they are finally done.
I plan on running NTO5's. I can't find anybody that has a "I hated them" story, and have heard quite a few people say that they "liked them but now run something a little different". I'll give them a try.

Here's my question: If I have 18x10.5" all the way around, can I run the same size tire in front and back? If I ran 285/35R18's the front would be 1.5" wider, but the same diameter. The back would be .4" wider and .73" smaller diameter. Is this going to give me AH/TC alarms? Is this setup going to cause any handling problems because the front to rear ratio is 1:1 instead of (245/40R18 and 275/35R19) 1:1.03 ratio that are on there now?

(I know there are a few similar questions to this, but I can't find THIS question...and I'm too dense to read between lines sometimes)
Old 08-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Stock, there is approx. 1.2" height difference between f/r. If you want to maintain AH/TC, then you need to maintain approx. same difference.

However, you CAN go same size on all 4 corners (I did last year with my '10 C6) but you just have to turn all AH/TC "off" and the computer won't get upset. ABS still works, but otherwise, you're running "nanny-free" .

If you go away from running the staggered setup (which also eliminates having wider wheels out back) then you will likely notice the rear of the car is more "tail happy" during cornering (both on corner entry, and exit). If you don't mind dealing with a car that rotates more, then go for it. I ended up going with a set of OEM wheels for track wheels this year, and preferred the staggered setup and slight tendancy for under-steer ... I guess it suits my driving style?

HTH?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:41 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by starkynuke
I have a '05 Z51 that is currently on stock 18x9.5" & 19x10" rims. I'm looking to go 18" all the way around (although looking for a set of used ones hasn't been too productive). I'm up to HPDE3 and have done it on the Perelli Euphori@'s that it came with and I can say that they are finally done.
I plan on running NTO5's. I can't find anybody that has a "I hated them" story, and have heard quite a few people say that they "liked them but now run something a little different". I'll give them a try.

Here's my question: If I have 18x10.5" all the way around, can I run the same size tire in front and back? If I ran 285/35R18's the front would be 1.5" wider, but the same diameter. The back would be .4" wider and .73" smaller diameter. Is this going to give me AH/TC alarms? Is this setup going to cause any handling problems because the front to rear ratio is 1:1 instead of (245/40R18 and 275/35R19) 1:1.03 ratio that are on there now?

(I know there are a few similar questions to this, but I can't find THIS question...and I'm too dense to read between lines sometimes)
I have an 06 Z51 car and I run 275's in the front and 305's in the rear and have done 50+ events this way. I use a C5 Z06 rear wheel on the rear and a C5 rear wheel on the front. You can also run the 265 on the front if need be. AH and TC are happy and the needed rake is OK for the car.

I also run R888 tires and they are easy to come by as scrubs, great tire and inexpensive (scrubs).

No alignment change is required to run this setup and you can put your OEM wheels and tires back on for normal street driving. I also run -1.75 neg on the front camber.

All my stuff is now for sale (very cheap) since I have retired me and the cars and in the process of moving to Florida to play golf!

PM if you have any interest.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:29 PM
starkynuke
Advanced

Pete: Thanks for the reply. What's the HTH mean? I usually run with all the nannies off anyways. So much nicer getting a consistent response from the car. Instead of having the car intervene as it chooses to. haha

rbl: PM Sent.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:05 PM
Cap'n Pete
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by starkynuke
Pete: Thanks for the reply. What's the HTH mean?
Hope that helps .
Old 09-01-2011, 09:14 PM
PAULY G
Intermediate

Pretty sure T1 setup is 315 all around. So yes you can run square. that's a lot of tire in the front if you're driving to the track. I run 285/35/18 front and 305/35/18 rear which is almost square and works very well. I have the rear bar on stiff to make it rotate. dont think the Nt05's come in that size, but the Extreme R 2's do , and they're better.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z51 Going Square

Quick Reply: C6 Z51 Going Square