Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headroom at last!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:02 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Headroom at last!

Basic specs: I am 6'-3", 32" inseam 39" waist, 228 lbs. Car is a C6ZO6. Seats are the Sparco EVO Plus 2.

I purchased a set of racing seats, harnesses and a harness bar from a fellow forum member. He originally had the equipment installed by Piper Motorsports in Sterling, VA (near Dulles). They made their own seat brackets for this installation. The passenger side is completely fixed w/ no adjustment; the driver side is adjustable to three positions and can be adjusted for rake.

When I installed the seats, I cut the insulation under the brackets, put the set in the rear most position with the most rake, and placed some washers under the front of the seat bracket to raise the front of the seat.

Result: I now have a solid 1" of clearance between my helmet and the roof liner! Another result was the HUD display is better positioned.

If you are needing headroom, consider the Sparco EVO Plus 2 seats and Piper Motorsports.

Jim
Old 08-30-2011, 11:40 PM
1 slow 97
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

CAN you post up some pics, i just got the same seats and am trying to figure out the mounting situation as we speak. What did they do with the airbag and telescoping steering wheel?
Old 08-31-2011, 04:27 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Sorry, no pics. I'm out of town until October 7.

I used the Pfadt harness to solve the steering wheel issue. WRT the air bag issue, I'm living with the red warning light and assuming that the air bag system is totally disabled.

If having an adjustable driver's seat is a requirement for you, then the Piper brackets are not what you want. These brackets mount the driver's seat so low that you have to relocate one of the modules (black plastic box) to in front of the seat. I zip-tied it to the carpeting.

Hope this helps.
Jim
Old 08-31-2011, 09:32 AM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 slow 97
CAN you post up some pics, i just got the same seats and am trying to figure out the mounting situation as we speak. What did they do with the airbag and telescoping steering wheel?
I am not the OP...But, here is a post that I made showing a good way to resolve the airbag issue.

Hope this helps,
Charley
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...race-seat.html
Old 08-31-2011, 10:52 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the same seat and I have a suggestion that may get you another inch of headroom. I took the bottom seat and thigh support cushions to an upholstery shop and had them make me new cushions of the same density with half the height and reinsert them in the covers.

-Kevin
Old 09-01-2011, 04:46 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
I am not the OP...But, here is a post that I made showing a good way to resolve the airbag issue.

Hope this helps,
Charley
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...race-seat.html
Charley,
So this fix not only turns off the warning light but allows the front airbags to function? That's a good fix!
Thanks,
Jim
Old 09-01-2011, 04:48 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
I have the same seat and I have a suggestion that may get you another inch of headroom. I took the bottom seat and thigh support cushions to an upholstery shop and had them make me new cushions of the same density with half the height and reinsert them in the covers.

-Kevin
Kevin,
OK, that mod should allow many guys as tall as 6'-5" to fit comfortably, depending upon body proportions.
Thanks for the input.
Jim

Get notified of new replies

To Headroom at last!

Quick Reply: Headroom at last!