Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about transponders and time trial events...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 09:08 AM
txoutlaw55
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions about transponders and time trial events...

Good morning everybody,

I am starting my investigation on track transponders for my club. Looking on the internet, I have found some different brands, but they all seem to be for karting or motocross racing. This brings me to the question of will any transponder work with a time trial type timing system?

If not, is there a specific transponder for autoracing?

Is there any place that I can rent a large number of transponders (40 or 50) and how much should that cost per transponder?

Does SCCA supply the transponders at their events or do the tracks have them?

At a time trial, does every car have its own transponder or are they moved from car to car after each run group?

I'm looking for all the info I can get on these things, so anything you can tell me would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 08-31-2011, 05:00 PM
2MCHPWR
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

call AMB. they changed their name to mylaps but they are the standard in scca and HPDE timing and scoring.

http://www.mylaps.com/index.php/us_eng/Websites/home

they can rent you a suitcase/charger of rechargable transponders that you can just zip tie on and off cars. But you would need a orbitz software on a computer, a detection loop in the asphalt and decoder box but every track should have that already.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:15 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

When I did timing for autocross and single car/single lap time trials we were able to use the infrared type units. Shoot the club I belong to also uses those.

Now for NASA time trials I had to buy my own transponder (or I can rent one each weekend). The AMB transponders are used by practically all the timing and scoring fol.
Now there was an interesting test at one of the HPDE events I instructed at. A couple of guys were testing RFID tags for timing. Basically you stuck a tag to the windshild and they had a reader over the track that that read the tag as you went under the reader.
If it all worked after lots of testing they were going to try and pacakge it as an inexpensive alternative to the AMB system. Each tag was in the few dollar range which made them a consumable item.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:07 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 2MCHPWR
call AMB. they changed their name to mylaps but they are the standard in scca and HPDE timing and scoring.

http://www.mylaps.com/index.php/us_eng/Websites/home

they can rent you a suitcase/charger of rechargable transponders that you can just zip tie on and off cars. But you would need a orbitz software on a computer, a detection loop in the asphalt and decoder box but every track should have that already.
Yep
Old 09-01-2011, 10:49 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mylaps/AMB are the current standard
Old 09-03-2011, 12:33 AM
txoutlaw55
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everybody! I have been talking to Mylaps today. They don't actually rent transponders unless you already own their timing system, however, they are very helpful and have made some suggestions for our club event next year.

Get notified of new replies

To Questions about transponders and time trial events...

Quick Reply: Questions about transponders and time trial events...