Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:05 PM
JohnAlley
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Battery Removal

It is getting close to the time to put the race car up for the winter. I have a 2004 Z06 that I road race and am wondering what kind of problems will I have if I remove the battery? Was wanting to leave the car in the trailer but remove battery. Will this cause the computer to have a major meltdown when I put the battery back in next spring?
Old 09-07-2011, 09:14 PM
GO_BLUE_VETTES
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't think so. I had mine disconnected for months once. You'll lose the radio presets and have to reset the clock, that's the only effect I noticed.....
Old 09-08-2011, 07:12 AM
UstaB-GS549
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I just disconnect ground terminal. It's fine.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:14 AM
VETTERACER11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend a trickle/floating charger. Keeps battery fully charged and ready to go. Cost virtually nothing to use. Most are approx 1 amp chargers and they cycle between charge and float automatically. Saves the hassle of actually removing and reinstalling the battery. Even if you still want to remove the battery from the car, I would keep the battery on a trickle/floating charger so it is fully charged and ready to go.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:55 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Does the trailer stay dry inside in the winter? Any moisture could affect the car so it may be a good idea to connect a battery maintainer and then start the car every couple of months and let it run for 15 minutes or so. That will kelp keep any condensation out of the exhaust and remove any moisture inside the engine.

If the car still has the HVAC system, let it run on the defrost setting so you can remove any moisture there. If the system is gone, use a heat lamp inside the car.

But simply disconnecting the battery or removing it won't hurt anything. Re-installing it may be a PITA if you decide you have to take the car out of the trailer for some reason. Not a lot of room on the side of the car on most enclosed trailers. If you do remove the battery, keep it in the garage or some place that will be dry and warmer than the outside winter temperature.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery Removal

Quick Reply: Battery Removal