Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 value? I had three calls by guys wanting mine...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 03:55 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LS6 value? I had three calls by guys wanting mine...

Sorry if not the right forum but you guys know this engine better than anyone, perhaps somebody here needs one and I would rather it go to a racer on here if so.

Not advertised, it was seen sitting in my shop and I had three calls about it yesterday, did not plan to sell it but the car it goes into will not be done for a few years at least.

One local guy is a racer and good guy, I would not mind if he has it if not a racer on here but no idea what to ask for it

New crate engine in 07, ran in three short races, one HPDE, made 390 WHP at NASA Nationals with just headers, intake and mild tune. It has been sitting in my shop since early 08 and may as well have a useful purpose since I have no need for an engine for a few years. It ran perfect before I pulled it out to rebuild the whole car.

I also have the ECU, tuned for race gas, and a brand new never installed race wiring harness.

Any idea what this is worth if I decide to sell it? (I am not that keen on letting it go so not going to give it away if I do decide to sell)

Engine by itself, complete except exhaust manifolds $________
Race harness, DRM had this made for me, cost was around $600, $_____
ECU, tuned for this engine, $_______
Package deal $_________

(I just had a thought, I need an open deck aluminum trailer, my steel deck 18' trailer is to heavy for my new plans, I would work a trade over a sale any day

Thanks,
Rick
801-829-4997
Old 09-08-2011, 04:19 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

$ 3k for the LS6 long block maybe.

Last edited by C5ZEE06; 09-08-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:51 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 09-09-2011, 11:17 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

I have a local offer of $3k with the race harness and ECU. Since he would come to get it, no shipping, cash, etc.....I might accept it. The harness cost me around $600 to have made.

BUT, instead of building a BMW M52 $$$ or M54 $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ I might stuff it into my M3 track car.

Thanks
Rick
Old 09-09-2011, 04:11 PM
rbl
Drifting

You would be quite foolish to sell it for $3K

Better to hang on to it and you'll have it when you need it.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:59 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

I could of sold it many times but just could not do it, I could have it gone in a flash but had major second doubts and more since reading replies here, thanks

This is what I posted on the BMW forum, all the hard parts of the swap I know well and they do not involve me hardly at all.

---------------------

Considering LS6 swap, E36 M3 full track car, not worried about a class
I have read every swap thread and face few of the issues most face, explained below pretty well I think but a bit long winded

Ok, my son and I have been working on this project for 6 months, nearly done, full track build, wide fenders, full monoball suspension, DA coilovers, BBKs, built diff, etc.....for now, S50 with long tube headers, open exhaust, all bolts on done right, cooling, Euro oil housing, billet top for gauges, pan is baffled, pulleys, intake, 3.5MAF, clutch, flywheel, solid mounts, nothing do to but internals later on....

Considering S52 race engine build or S54, less than full race build, both are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Or, I have a barely used and very strong LS6, full race wiring harness and ECU so I could just strip out the entire stock harness, dash, fuse blocks, everything, this would be an easy swap.

With long tube headers, intake and mild tune it made 390 WHP at a NASA Nationals just before I bought it in a C5 race car. With mild cam, better tune, some porting, more power than I could ever need for my purposes. I own all the nice bolt ons for it, fuel rails, pulleys, ported TB, tensioner, intake, and EFI Live.

LS6 engines are tough as nails, LS3 swap if I broke it is not expensive either.

I would reshape the firewall a bit and move it as far reward as possible without to much work so it gets done.

-------

I can sell the S50, it runs very well, trans is in great shape, new seals everywhere needed on both, Bimmerworld race shifter, alum flywheel, solid mounts, headers and full race exhaust, chip, harness, for a pretty decent amount of money, it would cover the conversion and wider rear wheels.

(I have 2 sets of Arc8 18x10.5 wheels, I would sell four and get 12" rears, I have some worked out that would do the job.)

-------

I would ditch the booster and other under the hood parts and run floor mounted clutch and brake pedals with reservoirs in the cabin.

-------

So, no out of pocket cost to have a ton of reliable power, not a hard swap because nothing will be in the way(steering is easy with off the shelf parts) I can buy all the parts already made for the swap. ZERO wiring issues, I have a full race harness that is plug and play and all gauges on hand except a tach.

-------

I do not care about class, this is for my fun at HPDE and some TT where it might face some competition at times but most likely be the fastest car there(full aero package, including flat bottom, is in future plans). I might not win a national championship in TT but probably never go, I have no plans to go W2W as getting up there in years and not as fast as I used to think I was so no use pretending, this is just for fun and my son does not mind the sound of a great LS instead of the L6 (the exhaust I had screams and sounds pretty dang cool, a bit to loud though)

Thanks
Rick
Old 09-09-2011, 05:00 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I agree, I wouldn't sell it for 3K. When I bought mine 1.5 years ago (brand new Caddy LS6 Long Block) the cheapest I could find was ~3300. Since then, according to several folks on this forum, they have become very hard to find. My 2 cents is hang onto it or ask for considerably more than 3K.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:12 PM
RX7 KLR
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Vorshlag makes a kit for dropping the LS into an E36.

Originally Posted by RAAMaudio
I could of sold it many times but just could not do it, I could have it gone in a flash but had major second doubts and more since reading replies here, thanks

This is what I posted on the BMW forum, all the hard parts of the swap I know well and they do not involve me hardly at all.

---------------------

Considering LS6 swap, E36 M3 full track car, not worried about a class
I have read every swap thread and face few of the issues most face, explained below pretty well I think but a bit long winded

Ok, my son and I have been working on this project for 6 months, nearly done, full track build, wide fenders, full monoball suspension, DA coilovers, BBKs, built diff, etc.....for now, S50 with long tube headers, open exhaust, all bolts on done right, cooling, Euro oil housing, billet top for gauges, pan is baffled, pulleys, intake, 3.5MAF, clutch, flywheel, solid mounts, nothing do to but internals later on....

Considering S52 race engine build or S54, less than full race build, both are $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Or, I have a barely used and very strong LS6, full race wiring harness and ECU so I could just strip out the entire stock harness, dash, fuse blocks, everything, this would be an easy swap.

With long tube headers, intake and mild tune it made 390 WHP at a NASA Nationals just before I bought it in a C5 race car. With mild cam, better tune, some porting, more power than I could ever need for my purposes. I own all the nice bolt ons for it, fuel rails, pulleys, ported TB, tensioner, intake, and EFI Live.

LS6 engines are tough as nails, LS3 swap if I broke it is not expensive either.

I would reshape the firewall a bit and move it as far reward as possible without to much work so it gets done.

-------

I can sell the S50, it runs very well, trans is in great shape, new seals everywhere needed on both, Bimmerworld race shifter, alum flywheel, solid mounts, headers and full race exhaust, chip, harness, for a pretty decent amount of money, it would cover the conversion and wider rear wheels.

(I have 2 sets of Arc8 18x10.5 wheels, I would sell four and get 12" rears, I have some worked out that would do the job.)

-------

I would ditch the booster and other under the hood parts and run floor mounted clutch and brake pedals with reservoirs in the cabin.

-------

So, no out of pocket cost to have a ton of reliable power, not a hard swap because nothing will be in the way(steering is easy with off the shelf parts) I can buy all the parts already made for the swap. ZERO wiring issues, I have a full race harness that is plug and play and all gauges on hand except a tach.

-------

I do not care about class, this is for my fun at HPDE and some TT where it might face some competition at times but most likely be the fastest car there(full aero package, including flat bottom, is in future plans). I might not win a national championship in TT but probably never go, I have no plans to go W2W as getting up there in years and not as fast as I used to think I was so no use pretending, this is just for fun and my son does not mind the sound of a great LS instead of the L6 (the exhaust I had screams and sounds pretty dang cool, a bit to loud though)

Thanks
Rick
Old 09-09-2011, 07:29 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

I pull out my ls6 out to put in a new 433 ls2 with a dry sump, but I can't believe how many calls I have gotten wondering what I was going to do with it. Going to have it refreshed then its going in my sons 944 turbo
nothing wrong with that car that a ls6 won't fix
Old 09-09-2011, 09:25 PM
J.R.
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Ls6

Rick,

Call me re: your engine.

J.R.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:30 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

I would sell it now. The LS6 really only has value to those dwindling T1 racers who must use the LS6 for that race class. I'm sure that soon when the LS6 is very difficult to get my guess is the club race board will allow us to use the LS3 motor since that is the next closest thing. Most of us T1 guys are looking longingly to race a C6. The C5 is not competative. The window is closing.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:54 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

J.R. Sorry buddy, I lost your number when I lost all my data, please call me

801-829-4997
801-452-5858 cell

I am very close to deciding to putting it into the M3, it would live there for a long time I am sure, and I have seen a 944 done up right with one, sweet!

Rick

Get notified of new replies

To LS6 value? I had three calls by guys wanting mine...

Quick Reply: LS6 value? I had three calls by guys wanting mine...