Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque specs for Wilwood SL6R mounting etc?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 09:23 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Torque specs for Wilwood SL6R mounting etc?

Is there at torque spec for the 11mm 12-pt jet-nut that holds the caliper to the mount bracket? I put them good n' snug with some of Gary's nordlocks... about 15 ft/lbs.

Also, what about the caliper bridge insert/bolt that keeps the pads in? I put that in good n' tight with my 1/4" ratchet. Is that something that needs to be tight to the point of checking up? The aluminum sleeves the bolt goes through both spin freely.

This is my first set of fixed calipers on a Corvette so any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by travisnd; 09-09-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:54 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I have been using my Wilwoods for about 2 years. The kit did not have any torque specifications on the caliper to bridge bolts. 15 Ft lbs will be more than enough. The forces are all radial (shear) on those bolts rather than vertical (tension) against the nuts. On the bolt that holds the pads in the caliper, same thing, no spec was provided. That bolt has a Nylok nut on it, it will not come loose. Just snug it up and you will be fine as long as the aluminum tube rotates freely. You are going to enjoy the new brakes !!!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:01 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am installing the wide pad version on the M3 race car we are nearly done building(father and son project, my son has bugged me for years to build a BMW, I am starting to like this car and have not driven it on track yet

Info taken from install guide for the BMW, should be exactly the same for your kit.

Caliper mount to spindle, 65 ft lbs
Caliper to bracket nuts, 30-35 ft lbs
Bridge bolt, not listed, just says not to tight, I will probably use the same setting as the rotor to hat bolts, 85 in lbs.

I have installed a set like this on another car and if I recall, 85 in lbs worked fine on the caliper bridge bolt.

Hope this helps
Rick
Old 09-09-2011, 11:46 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks Guys. I torqued the bolts holding the bracket to the spindle at 85 ft/lbs with nordlocks. The factory torque spec on those bolts is 125 but I didn't want to damage the aluminum of the adapter bracket. The adapter bracket in my kit is the custom LG one to use stock rotors.

I'll bump up the torque on the caliper bracket nuts a little and re-check the bridge bolt nut.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:36 PM
SIK02SS
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RAAMaudio
I am installing the wide pad version on the M3 race car we are nearly done building(father and son project, my son has bugged me for years to build a BMW, I am starting to like this car and have not driven it on track yet

Info taken from install guide for the BMW, should be exactly the same for your kit.

Caliper mount to spindle, 65 ft lbs
Caliper to bracket nuts, 30-35 ft lbs
Bridge bolt, not listed, just says not to tight, I will probably use the same setting as the rotor to hat bolts, 85 in lbs.

I have installed a set like this on another car and if I recall, 85 in lbs worked fine on the caliper bridge bolt.

Hope this helps
Rick
this is the same info provided on my install for a 2002 Camaro SS
Old 09-12-2011, 04:05 AM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i use 80 for caliper bolt, 32 for the nut hoding the caliper to the adpater bracket.

i believe instructions call to "lightly oil" the stud that the nut goes on, I don't bother, but i do put high temp locktite on the caliper bolt

Get notified of new replies

To Torque specs for Wilwood SL6R mounting etc?

Quick Reply: Torque specs for Wilwood SL6R mounting etc?